In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Why buy a new door when all ya need is the glass and divide lites?

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by don2222, Aug 18, 2024.

  1. don2222

    don2222

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2013
    Messages:
    3,438
    Likes Received:
    4,874
    Location:
    Salem NH
    Hello

    The nice steel side door that goes out to the deck from the kitchen is on the south side and gets sizzled by the sun! Therefore it was only some time about 35 years before the external divide lites got so brittle they broke like a pretzel!! I paid $159.00 for it and to put in a new door with paint and labor is big bucks!! :-(

    Thanks to Big Jim’s Home Center on S Main St in Concord NH it was cheap & easy!! They are so knowledgeable too! He said there are 2 sizes and I had the larger one 24 x 38 9 Lite The selection was amazing! The same one with exterior lites $68 or the upgraded with the lites in the glass for $128 or the upgraded for with the lites in Low E glass for $150 which is the one I got. This may keep the kitchen cooler and last longer than 35 years too!! It took about 10 whole mins for my daughter and I to popped this baby in!!
    Buying a new door with paint and labor would have been a lot of money !!!
    Big Jim’s saves Big Doe$$
    Home - Big Jims Home Center Concord NH
    New door at Lowes now $358 with reg glass and external divide lites!
    Link to Lowes exterior steel door
     

    Attached Files:

    Last edited: Aug 18, 2024
    imwiley1, Skier76, JD Guy and 6 others like this.
  2. MikeInMa

    MikeInMa

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2016
    Messages:
    15,836
    Likes Received:
    114,683
    Location:
    Southern Worcester county
    Great solution!
     
    don2222 and metalcuttr like this.
  3. brenndatomu

    brenndatomu

    Joined:
    May 29, 2015
    Messages:
    25,107
    Likes Received:
    163,149
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    Didn't even know that the windows could be bought separately!
    Good solution if the door is still solid...so often I see them dented, or rusting.
    Wonder what a new door costs these days...last one I put in just had the lil sunburst window in the top, was something like $180, maybe 15 years ago? Probably $400 now... :headbang:
     
  4. Woodwidow

    Woodwidow

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    15,504
    Likes Received:
    95,481
    Location:
    Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    that looks really nice. If you don't paint the white trim, it won't absorb the heat from the sun as bad. I have a steel door that is rusting around the handles. Next year I will have to do something about it.
     
    don2222 likes this.