In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Smokeless Stihl (cordless)

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by campinspecter, Sep 22, 2014.

  1. campinspecter

    campinspecter

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,684
    Likes Received:
    12,236
    Cordless, Lithium Battery.
    IMGP5437.JPG



    In action. Good for about 35 to 45 minutes steady cutting on one charge or one tank of bar oil.:thumbs:
     
  2. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    Dad would love one of those.
     
    OhioStihl and campinspecter like this.
  3. campinspecter

    campinspecter

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,684
    Likes Received:
    12,236

    Remember when the first cordless screwdriver or drill showed up, well you wouldn't be without one now.
    If you're doing inside renovations, well once you've used one, it becomes a standard part of your tool box!
     
  4. MasterMech

    MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    9,648
    Likes Received:
    26,044
    Location:
    Greenville County SC
    I love it! Looks like it has a lot more for power than the Oregon version!
     
    campinspecter likes this.
  5. campinspecter

    campinspecter

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,684
    Likes Received:
    12,236
    It has more power than the old XL-2. , and lot less vibration.

    100_0605.JPG
     
  6. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    That one reminds me of the Super Deluxe XXV I gave Dad for Father's Day. image.jpg
     
  7. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2014
    Messages:
    3,755
    Likes Received:
    22,702
    Location:
    Western NY
    Nice and quiet too. Need one of those for when I want to cut wood at 6AM and not wake the neighbors!
     
  8. Jon1270

    Jon1270

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,886
    Likes Received:
    4,543
    Location:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I just missed one of those on CL last night . It didn't include the battery or charger, but I already have those because I have the hedge trimmer from that same line of tools. I'm very happy with the trimmer, and will remain so as long as the battery holds up.
     
  9. MasterMech

    MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    9,648
    Likes Received:
    26,044
    Location:
    Greenville County SC
    If you already have the battery and charger, that's half the battle and much of the expense with these tools. I believe they released an upgraded model too. One of these might perfect for you where you live Jon. You never know when you need to cut wood at odd hours. Lol
     
  10. Jon1270

    Jon1270

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,886
    Likes Received:
    4,543
    Location:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Yeah, but the one I missed went for $100, and it was basically brand new. I don't expect to see that sort of price too often. :confused:
     
    Backwoods Savage and MasterMech like this.
  11. campinspecter

    campinspecter

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,684
    Likes Received:
    12,236

    Been told the battery is good for 600 hours!
     
  12. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    That's an impressive elec saw Allan! I doubt if my 338 would cut any faster. I had a 6 ton elec splitter at our other house. It wasn't battery powered but it sure showed me how nice it was to be able to have it inside, where it was warm. Your saw would be perfect in my shop during the really cold months. How long does it last when it's used in the cold? Assuming it's like the drills... not so good in the cold.
     
    campinspecter likes this.
  13. cnice_37

    cnice_37

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,211
    Likes Received:
    14,236
    Location:
    SE Mass
    Not bad! Definitely has its place. That could be real useful for a scrounger always on the prowl.

    30+ minutes of averaging cutting, impressive.
     
  14. Jack Straw

    Jack Straw

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    8,402
    Likes Received:
    52,443
    Location:
    30 miles west of Albany Ny
    That would be great for a home owner saw. No worries about storing gas. It would also be a great limbing saw.
     
  15. campinspecter

    campinspecter

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,684
    Likes Received:
    12,236
    Will never have the opportunity to use it in the cold. But the saw is not to be used in the rain or damp areas. In our part of the country, cold and damp are the same! You'd be looking at the old argument of Ni-cad verse Lithium batteries for aircraft ELTs where the lithium were supposed to stand up better.
    Every now and again the batteries come on sale and I have considered buying two more. This would allow me to go out in hot dry conditions and cut firewood where you wouldn't be allowed to go with a gas saw. If I had been caught using a gas saw cutting those rounds off in those dry conditions, I would have been in trouble.
     
  16. campinspecter

    campinspecter

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,684
    Likes Received:
    12,236
    This is a Yard Works cordless with a Ni-cad battery as the battery would lose its charge, the saw would lose power and start stalling.
    IMGP5439.JPG
    You can buy three of these for one Stihl. But the Yard Works lasted one chain then the bar guide made out of what seems to be fairly soft plastic wore away.
    The bar guide and tension-er on the Stihl is the same on their small gas saws.
    IMGP5440.JPG
     
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  17. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    Nice Stihl there Alan. Very handy saw. Is that a 12" bar?
     
  18. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    I'm curious of price. I see $329-$349 for the saw only. What does battery and charger cost?
     
  19. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    Wow. I see they have a battery back pack that can ............ :bug:Ouch, that price will set you back a bit. :saw:
     
    concretegrazer likes this.
  20. campinspecter

    campinspecter

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,684
    Likes Received:
    12,236
    Yes its a 12 inch bar. Granny and Woodwidow bought the saw as Christmas present in 2012, and the entire package is the price of good size gas unit . There is now a super battery pack and the price is definitely Ouch!