Did a triple removal at a place last week, over the course of two short evenings (getting dark out earlier and earlier), took down two 50' black birches on Wednesday evening and did a 65' double trunked cherry on Friday evening. The one birch was bone dry, long dead and the other was dead in the tops. Pic below shows the cherry tree...Note the bone dry and long dead top on the left. To the left of the cherry tree is the dead birch. Sadly, both trees had heavy termite damage in the bases, and the trunks of both were bad clear up to about head level......so we had to take them all to the compost site. Below is another shot of all three trees. The other half living birch can be seen behind the dead one on the left.....that tree was hairy because it was right against the neighbors property and the guy we were cutting for and his neighbors did NOT get along! We had to carefully place all the branches off of that tree onto the geound on one side. I climbed and pieced that one down to the ground. The dead birch.....This tree was bad at the bottom, lots of punk and termite damage. But still managed to get some good use able firewood out of it. Almost 3/4 of a truckload. The live birch gave a half truckload of wood too....love that minty smell that black birch makes...smelled like a truckload of Teaberry ice cream!! We tackled the cherry tree on Friday evening. It was the trickiest of the three as it was only 15-20 feet from the house which would be to the right in these pictures. I climbed up to about 40', topped both sides of the double trunk, rigged it and dropped the trunk to the ground. Got a truckload out of the cherry tree as well.....all in all a good haul from this job! Close to a cord. Pic of my buddy Joe bucking some rounds.... Got all the birch processed and started the cherry this evening. Some big rounds out of that cherry, here's one of the crotch pieces...
Nice work PP, you gotta be in heaven with the new saw So out of the 3 trees how much of it was worth keeping?
You got me confused with Pete, IS! LOL.... I got close to a cord of wood total out of all three trees......not bad considering the bases of two were ravaged by termites and the third had a rotted base. I dulled three chains doing two stumps...Termites had them packed full of sand and dirt!
Naw....somewhere around 44, give or take. Most of this stuff will go in the pile to be used this winter in the maple syrup evaporator, except for the cherry.....
Black birch is good stuff, I'd put the cherry in the burn pile first so long as I had some for my smoker.
I'm saving the cherry for the firepit and also for making smoker chips, Paul. I'm going to try and start selling smoker chips, already have quite a few local people that get them off of me and they keep coming back for more.
Yeah I'd be keeping that black birch too. I think it's right up there on the btus too if it's not rotten. Awesome job man.
It's somewhere in the red maple range IIRC. I like it, burns hot.......just doesn't leave any coals..... Love the smell when processing.....Teaberry ice cream.....mmmmmm!
Yes sir, I do......I use my antique lathe! Maybe a video of that operation when the time comes is in order!
I have a hard time believing that black birch is better than black locust.....I've seen other charts that contradict this...... Either way, I love it!
great stuff! i feel i get just about as much heat out of black birch as i do oak. black birch seasons in less than half the time as oak, but it doesnt hold coals. my boiler doesnt care as all the btus go straight to the storage tanks. i imagine for you stovers it would be excellent heat output during the day when you are around for reloads, just dont expect it to last until the morning. its one of my favorite woods, all things considered, and i have plenty on my property. you have to c/s/s them soon after they start dying or they will go punky before you know it. my honey bees also love the sap that comes out of a fresh cut stump. oh, and just make sure you have some cold rootbeer on hand. you will be craving it after you are done cutting or splitting! here is a load i brought up to the barn last week. i have been using up short pieces all summer for DHW and this is what is left.