In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Potential Smoker Project (What did I get myself into)

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by ReelFaster, Jul 31, 2024.

1. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

Not sure what I got myself into with this beast :bug:

Mentioned to my brother in law weeks back about wanting to build my own smoker someday and was casually looking on FB for 60-80 gal air compressors. Not soon after I got a text w/ pics of a large compressor being thrown out at his prior place of employment. One of those universities downtown Philly. It's amazing the stuff they throw out and he's collected over the years. Immediately asked for a pic of the tag on it to see how thick it was and sure enough it was pretty dam close to 3/16", pretty good for a smoker although the gold standard is 1/4" being a novice the thinner steel might just be better.

Was very hesitant to take it, just big and heavy with the compressor (at least over 400lbs) on top but they offered to load it with a fork lift onto my trailer so what the hell if it's free it's for me, I tipped the fork lift gentleman.

Full disclosure don't have a clue about compressors but apparently there is only one part needing replacement and they decided it wasn't worth replacing. Even thought about selling it!?!

I have a hell of a lot of work ahead of me, a lot of learning (welding amateur), and maybe a few back breaking days. Not sure what the hell I got myself into but it's home in the back yard.

I already starting cutting the frame away from the tank, if I can get the top off that will be a huge step, still going to be heavy but maybe with a buddy or two manageable to move on a frame. I'd like to keep the legs possibly make my life easier we shall see.

IMG_3991.JPG IMG_4021.JPG
    IMG_4001.jpg

2. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

3. Certified106

Certified106

Knowing Myself I would try to see how much it would cost to fix the compressor and then see what I could flip it for :thumbs:
    Then if that didn't work out move onto option two.

4. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

Step 1 = fix compressor
    Step 2 = flip it
    Step 3 = Buy new smoker with the $ from flipping the compressor.

I built one years ago and it worked but I made it from a 55 gallon drum for the cooking chamber and a smaller propane cylinder for the fire box. It worked but a lot of the problem is the steel just wasn't heavy enough. You want some heavy metal to help hold the heat.
    I was actually going to build another one but broke down and bought a Lang. So much heavier material ( 1/4 thick) wise and a whole different ball game, I love it and it cooks great.

Building one is a fair amount of work but if you want a project then you nailed it.
    Good luck and keep us posted.

Woodsnwoods, JD Guy, Mrxlh and 9 others like this.
  5. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

So first thing I thought of was doing that and flipping it, BUUUUUUT the guy who arranged all it and helped load it on my trailer at the 12th hour asked for the motor once I cut off, lol am sure he's going to sell it or get $$ for it scrapping. Beings I got it all for just about free I reluctantly agreed and said sure. Once I said ok I started cutting the welds or I was going to list.

Screwloose, brenndatomu and Eric VW like this.
  6. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

This is what am going for, looks similar in size to what I have. Although those castors need to be bigger IMO.

Saw this on FB way back for sale!

Screenshot 2024-05-31 090949.png

7. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Where do plan to source the steel for the firebox, Chuck?

8. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

Couple of options, I have a steel fabricator right in town where I work "Fazzio" I can easily buy but probably at pretty penny, they are not cheap.

I see lot's of possible options on FB and CL BUT they require lots of cutting and manipulation for this novice fellow. But I'll keep looking perhaps I'll get lucky

Lastly good ole Amazon, lol they sell steel plates 3/16" 1/4" or 1/2" 20"x20" or 24" by 24" plates. I am leaning towards this the most unless I find something better.

Already cut and I just have play welder and stick it together best I can. Looks like for the size smoker (24" wide x 64") I should do a 24" x 24" FB. I think the recommendation is 1/3 of the size of the smoker, was never good at math so I'll have to check that again, I'd rather be on the bigger size FB.

Of course $$ will be a big factor and this will take time, to dam hot out to be grinding, I was soaked LN making that first cut had to take a 2nd shower. Plus I blew out a cutting wheel, that's always fun, more on the way!

But 1 down and 5 more to go to get that top motor off.

9. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Sounds fun ReelFaster! Have at it as temps and time permit.
    Nothing wrong with pulling an extension cord out and dropping a box fan kinda near where you’re working- provided the breeze isn’t pointing in the direction of the flung sparks…
    :dennis:

10. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

Hec yeah buddy not a bad idea, I already have one run so I can use the grinder. Electric to the barn is another project one day :whistle::whistle:

Eric VW, brenndatomu and Screwloose like this.
  11. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

12. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

13. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

I listed that SOB on FB and CL, LOL! If I got something for it I'd split with the guy who arranged and my bro in law........

14. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

For what they are asking for a new one it is certainly worth a shot.

15. Screwloose

Screwloose

What was wrong with it in the first place?
    Can't blame them for getting rid of a beige Ingersoll Rand, from grey to beige same time the quality dropped.
    I can't stand the heat so I have several fans I made to be left and used outside 24/7/365.

16. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

I think so, I have no clue what to list it for. The coppers been stripped as well.

17. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

I honestly couldn't tell, I really am not very knowledgeable with compressors of this magnitude.

I was told it only need a part on top to fix but have no idea.

Gotta be worth something........or maybe am just hoping it's worth something lol.

18. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

They totally nuts to have not fixed that unit over something minor.
    Didn't you say you gave the motor (compressor?) off it to someone already...and started cutting on it some too?

19. 41FanForLife

41FanForLife

Man i would put that compressor right in the garage. I have a 80 gallon Emglo setup here. Can't wait to see how this turns out

20. lukem

lukem

Couple thoughts here:

1. You are going to have a tough time trouble-shooting a fix without 3 phase power, which I doubt you have at your house.
    2. Contact an industrial services company that does pump/compressor work and see if you can run it over their shop, they can energize it, troubleshoot, and give you a quote to repair it.
    3. Most steel suppliers will cut to size for cheap/free. If you want to fab up a firebox give them a "cut sheet" with all the dimensions for each side of the box. They can burn it / shear it in minutes and save you hours.