In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

WinonaRail's Wood Yard

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by WinonaRail, Sep 7, 2021.

1. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

A customer messaged me about smoking wood today. I came home for lunch and found the rack was empty. He grabbed 5 bags (all different species) and 2 bags of kindling. It's so rewarding when you can open the payment box and grab a fist full of cash. That included 2 loose stacks from a couple days ago.[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

2. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Way to go Gary! What species do you offer for smoking wood.

Kinda wish I had a market here for smoker wood. I've only sold a few bundles of cherry to a customer for his uncle to use. They are originally from NC so its common down there.

I approached a restaurant/bar last year that was looking for smoker wood. Left my contact info and nothing. I have ample hickory, sugar maple, cherry and mulberry on hand for such.

3. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

See if the restaurant would accept some free smoke wood, to try. That might generate some interest for more.

4. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

It's taken about 2 years but I've established myself as the guy for small quantities of smoking wood. Currently I have oak, sugar maple, pear, hickory, honey locust and cherry. I haven't put mulberry out but I tend to have a lot so it will probably be next. I advertise bags of 8" splits for delivery and I only got 1 order. But now I get MP messages for people that want to pick up, like the customer yesterday. The delivery method might work better in your area, like 5 or 10 bags mix and match (bundles could work as well).

eatonpcat, T.Jeff Veal and SimonHS like this.
  5. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

When I got home from work yesterday I found nearly everything in the roadside stand sold yesterday. That's pretty good for a Monday. My wife helped me restock. We finally got inside about 8:00 to make dinner. [​IMG][​IMG]

6. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

That's great.

7. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Still cant believe what happened this afternoon.

I stopped by bundle wood storage to drop off some plywood scraps for the addition that im planning. Had a few extra minutes so decided to assemble a few bundles. I have this thing I do to have the jig full of splits when I come back the next time so I just wrap it. Exactly what I did. Pick the wrapped bundle out of the jig and a mouse falls out. :eek: I jumped a bit. Checking the bundle I see nesting material (chewed leaves) sticking out and a mouses tail. I pull it out and I had crushed it partly as it was seizing while bleeding. I tossed it in the woods. I then unwrapped the bundle to toss the affected splits, nest etc. and found a third mouse that got crushed. I find plenty of nests in my stacks but this is a first. Normally there is not enough room in an assembled bundle. I must be slipping! :picard: :rofl: :lol:

8. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

Those little critters will make a home just about anywhere. I find the nests all the time when I pull dry splits out of IBC totes. Occasionally I'll find bird nests. Every day is an adventure in the wood yard. Welcome to Brad's Wild Kingdom! :rofl: :lol:

9. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I think the mice are out for me or it went through Mickey and Minnie's grapevine.

Im at a red light today kinda daydreaming when suddenly a mouse runs diagonally across the windshield from the passengers roof side down. Luckily it was out side. I'm thinking it was inside the hollow aluminum rung of the ladder tied to the racks.

Maybe I should set some mouse traps in the PU. Knowing my luck I'll forget and catch my finger in one!

10. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Need your opinion Gary. I posted listing on FBM for bundles. $5 each free delivery within five miles of woods location. Got and order for ten (minimum order) and its eleven miles one way. Quoted him $15
    Havent heard back yet. Too much? Not enough?

11. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

I don't mind mice on the OUTSIDE of the vehicle. But they make such a mess when they get inside. I haven't figured out how to keep them out.

T.Jeff Veal and buZZsaw BRAD like this.
  12. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

I figure $2 per loaded mile for delivery. My truck is NOT good on gas. Plus every minute behind the windshield is a minute not spent on production AND is still working time. The only time I cut people a break is if it's on my way to/from work or if I have multiple deliveries going the same general direction. Sometimes I knock a couple dollars off. I deliver bundles in a minivan. It's much better on gas so I charge $1.75 per mile. I don't subscribe to the free delivery within X miles UNLESS you've already built the cost into the product price (which is fine).

If they call back, that's great. If they want you to bring wood for free, I'd pass. If you can arrange a meetup wherever you're working, that might be another option to help on cost. Good luck!

13. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I quoted the guy $15 and he didn't flinch. Ill bring some kindling bags/boxes to entice him. Done that in the past and its worked. Probably drop in the next few days.

T.Jeff Veal, MikeInMa and WinonaRail like this.
  14. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

Good call on the kindling. I usually keep some kindling bundles and bagged smoking wood in the back seat of the truck. Sometimes opportunities present themselves for add-on sales. Get all you can!

15. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

Snagged another load last night. It was alleged to be mostly oak. Maybe 2 pieces so far as I've started splitting. Found some hickory as well. Finished the end with basswood. It will end up as mixed but there's quite a bit of it.[​IMG]

16. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

Cash App notification says someone sent me $75 for firewood this afternoon. My guess is loose stacks of smoking wood. I'll see when I get home. Glad that Hurricane Beryl has moved out and we're back to sunny days.

17. wood and coal burner

wood and coal burner

Had a mouse make a nest in the engine comparment of my car a few years ago. It ate the wiring and I had to get the wiring harness replaced. Luckily it was covered by insurance. Cost over $1000. Now I set traps constantly. I also have an open container of mothballs in the engine compartment. Heard they keep mice away. Only problem is when the car gets hot it starts to smell like an old lady's closet.

18. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

Classic case of choosing the lesser evil. If anyone doesn't like the mothball smell just tell them you're trying out a new air freshener!

I had a ground squirrel get in my engine compartment of my firewood truck when I had it parked outside until I got the starter rebuilt. Now I don't have wipers and a few other dash-related issues. I'm pretty sure it got to the wiring but haven't been able to track it down to repair.

19. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

Yesterday's roadside stand sales were 5 bags of smoking wood, a loose stack and 3 mini bundles. Total was $125. That brings my bagged wood total to 10 for the week. While that may not seem substantial, each bag is 8-9 splits cut in half on the miter saw, bagged and sold for $15. It's by far my most profitable item.

20. wood and coal burner

wood and coal burner

It made the idiot lights do strange things too. They would go on and off randomly, tell me the air bags needed service. I didn't look at the codes but I imagine they were goofy too.