In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Taking Down The Big Elm (lots Of Pictures)

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by schlot, Sep 19, 2014.

  1. schlot

    schlot

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    5,256
    Likes Received:
    30,504
    Location:
    NW Iowa
    The tree service came Thursday night. Unfortunately I had a meeting so I wasn't there when they started, but I snapped a few pictures as they worked taking it down.

    [​IMG]

    The tree is mostly on our property (fenced area) but we never could have have the fence go around it for obvious reasons. So the truck and all the branches had to be placed on the neighbors property. I had to temporarily take down three sections of our fence because a good share of branches overhung our property.

    [​IMG]

    The neighbors to the left on this picture are kind of difficult to deal with (I'm using my nice words) so I had the guys dump most on the other property, who have been super to work with. Because I decided to save money ($600) for our belated honeymoon, I told them I would take care of the limbs myself. Because of the grumpy neighbors , the guys had to pretty much heap all of it together.

    [​IMG]

    All the major limbs gone, so the main trunk was just left.

    [​IMG]

    Above is what faced me after they left...yay?!

    [​IMG]

    I took most of the day off today to work on getting a good start on clearing it out since the neighbors have been so good to work with. Above is what it looked like around noon.

    [​IMG]

    My oldest son was back with his fiance. They stopped over and helped. What made it fun was that I showed him how to run the chainsaw correctly, adding to it was that we used his grandpas old saw. He had fun working the saw and helped load and dump a load of branches for me. Above is what it looked like around 5pm.

    [​IMG]

    Although I mainly worked on getting the small branches removed, this is a pile I'm setting aside for firewood. Even thought they are in odd lengths, the short random lengths I cut will end up going to the neighbors for their firepit.

    I will keep adding pictures tomorrow as it's obvious what I'll be doing this weekend! :)
     
  2. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Oh wow.
    I hate branches.
    Have, um....fun.:thumbs:
     
    NYCountry and schlot like this.
  3. raybonz

    raybonz Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2013
    Messages:
    4,225
    Likes Received:
    9,758
    Location:
    Carver, Mass.
    Great pics! Have fun splitting the elm!

    Ray
     
    NYCountry and papadave like this.
  4. schlot

    schlot

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    5,256
    Likes Received:
    30,504
    Location:
    NW Iowa
    Thanks, but did you say "fun" and "splitting elm" in the same sentence? lol
     
  5. schlot

    schlot

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    5,256
    Likes Received:
    30,504
    Location:
    NW Iowa
    Me too!
     
  6. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    That's a Schlot of wood. Have fun processing it!:)
     
    cnice_37, schlot and papadave like this.
  7. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    That will make some nice BTUs for ya schlot. How goes the rest of the project today? Good weather for you?
     
  8. schlot

    schlot

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    5,256
    Likes Received:
    30,504
    Location:
    NW Iowa
    Thanks for asking....yes the weather was just about right. A little cooler wouldn't be bad, but it didn't rain like it was suppose too, but it was party cloudy and there was a slight breeze most of the day.

    Started at 6 this morning prepping the saws and stacking wood so that I could load the trailer once I dumped it at the tree dump. Didn't start the chainsaws until 8:30 since I figured the neighbors might not want to wake up to the sounds of my Stihl.

    I made four runs to the tree dump before it closed. Got most of the small limbs out of the yard with the help of my bride. Pretty much down to the fun stuff now!

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
  9. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh
    Good looking stack of wood you got out of it!! Splitting elm?? Well... It's not fun.. But it's good wood :)

    Nice pics! Thanks for sharing
     
    Backwoods Savage and schlot like this.
  10. Chvymn99

    Chvymn99 Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    21,482
    Likes Received:
    113,753
    Location:
    KC Metro
    Good looking firewood... It'll burn...:yes:..... And looks you'll get a bit of it too....
     
    schlot likes this.
  11. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    Cool. A nice haul from one tree!
     
    schlot likes this.
  12. raybonz

    raybonz Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2013
    Messages:
    4,225
    Likes Received:
    9,758
    Location:
    Carver, Mass.
    LOL yup there may be a little sarcasm there..
     
    Gasifier and schlot like this.
  13. schlot

    schlot

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    5,256
    Likes Received:
    30,504
    Location:
    NW Iowa
    :)
     
  14. schlot

    schlot

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    5,256
    Likes Received:
    30,504
    Location:
    NW Iowa
    Ok...last picture. Got the wood moved and most of it stacked where I process. Not a big haul compared to some of you guys, but the largest one I've dealt with.

    I was glad to see that as I moved the wood much of the bark easily came free. The far left stack are unprocessed lengths, the center stack is stuff I cut to 32" (plus or minus), and of course the rounds on the right side. Shadow kind of makes it hard to see.



    [​IMG]

    Not sure how much I have sitting there...maybe a cord?
     
  15. Fanatical1

    Fanatical1

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2014
    Messages:
    2,688
    Likes Received:
    12,293
    Location:
    Ohio
    Nice job! you got a boat load of work done already.... :yes:Look's to me like a little more than a cord.

    How are you going to tackle the big trunk pieces? They look like their going to be pretty heavy?
     
  16. cnice_37

    cnice_37

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,211
    Likes Received:
    14,236
    Location:
    SE Mass
    Don't sell yourself short, that's a good haul! Looks like a heavy cord to me/
     
    Backwoods Savage and raybonz like this.
  17. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,157
    Location:
    Central MI
    It might surprise you on how it splits. You for sure have some good firewood from that. Too bad you had to deal with bad neighbors.