In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Trail Work 2014

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by thewoodlands, Apr 18, 2014.

  1. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I'm thinking something on pier blocks, we'll see. We'll be doing more planning on the size before winter.
     
    Stinny likes this.
  2. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    Zap, have you got any older growth trees on your lot?
    and if not, whats the oldest trees you've seen so far?
     
  3. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I think we have some but not a lot, I think a Hemlock up above the bowl is one of the bigger ones on the lot, we do have some good size ( in my mind ) White Pine.

    To get the age, can you measure the tree at dbh ?
     
    My IS heats my home likes this.
  4. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    One load of Pine needles to a small turn around where I cut the dead Elm, I then did a small load of Hemlock needles in another dip nearby.
     

    Attached Files:

  5. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,157
    Location:
    Central MI
    NO.
     
  6. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Just one load of Pine needles before I grabbed a load of wood, it was dumped in the same area I dumped in last week.
     

    Attached Files:

  7. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    This will be the last load in this area until I get the stump out.
     

    Attached Files:

    Gasifier, HDRock and Backwoods Savage like this.
  8. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    This trail my wife would like open before the snow hits the ground, the ferns are still pretty high in this area but hopefully I'll start next weekend.

    Most of the work is at the bottom so I'll work my way down from the top.
     

    Attached Files:

    Gasifier, HDRock and Backwoods Savage like this.
  9. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I spent the day doing some trail work, I did two loads of Pine needles on the trail near the swamp then I rid the trail of that rotten Hemlock we pulled down.

    I did another two loads of Pine needles on a rough part of the trail, pic 9984.
     

    Attached Files:

    Gasifier, papadave, Chvymn99 and 4 others like this.
  10. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I started on opening up this trail after I took the last load of Pine needles in, this was a rotten Birch.
     

    Attached Files:

  11. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,157
    Location:
    Central MI
    That is a pretty good size for an old birch.
     
    thewoodlands likes this.
  12. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    It fell last year, I think it was in June when we had our second wind event.
     
  13. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I did a total of three loads of Pine needles, the last two loads was a mixture of Pine needles and leaves.

    The three loads went in two different locations on the trail.
     

    Attached Files:

    Gasifier, papadave and HDRock like this.
  14. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I took another load to this area today, I'm thinking I took a total of 5-6 loads to do this stretch.
     

    Attached Files:

  15. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    One of these years, I'll get to these two different trails, they would give us a couple of more trails to get up top.

    It looks like they were made by the original owner a long time ago.
     

    Attached Files:

  16. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Before I started the stacking, I hauled one load in.
     

    Attached Files:

    Gasifier, papadave and Certified106 like this.
  17. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    My internet is still down!:headbang: The 2 minute wait for the pics was worth it on this old phone! Looking good there traily!
     
    thewoodlands likes this.
  18. Certified106

    Certified106

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    4,172
    Likes Received:
    11,912
    Location:
    In The Hills
    Wow, lots o pine needle hauling going on! Looking gooder by the minute lol
     
    thewoodlands likes this.
  19. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    That area had a nasty hump, another load or two should take care of it.
     
    Well Seasoned likes this.
  20. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    This is over the snowmobile trail, it's close to if not on our property.
     

    Attached Files:

    Well Seasoned and Stinny like this.