In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Lopi Leyden Glass Replacement

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by boxygen, Sep 19, 2014.

  1. boxygen

    boxygen

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2014
    Messages:
    95
    Likes Received:
    243
    Location:
    Maine
    Hey guys! I ordered up new glass last week to replace the right hand door glass. It was cracked, but had been so and solid for several years. I put the new glass in the other night. Very simple, four small clips with torx head screws. They werent even frozen in. I just fired up a small fire tonight annnnd.........crack. It lasted about 10 minutes:( It cracked right across the upper screws. That tells me I over tightened them. What confirmed that was when the it broke across the bottom screws about five minutes later. :doh: Well, there goes $60. Wasnt the first and wont be the last time though......:whistle:
     
    papadave and Grizzly Adam like this.
  2. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    :hair:
     
    boxygen likes this.
  3. Certified106

    Certified106

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    4,172
    Likes Received:
    11,912
    Location:
    In The Hills
    sorry bud that stinks......
     
  4. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Ouch.
    How long to get a new glass? It's gettin' chilly out there.:shiver:
     
  5. boxygen

    boxygen

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2014
    Messages:
    95
    Likes Received:
    243
    Location:
    Maine
    It was only a few days, I ordered it online. I just ordered a new piece.
     
    papadave likes this.
  6. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    That's sucks! Although this happened to you, you helped many, reminding all to watch how they tighten and check owners manual.
     
    papadave likes this.
  7. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    I only replaced the glass gasket once on the old stove, and it had me worried.
    The lower screws would loosen at least once/season.
    I was tempted to put some Locktite on 'em, but didn't.