In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Beginning bundler

Discussion in 'The Wood Market' started by Sandhillbilly, Jan 22, 2024.

1. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Definitely not typical/normal...

yooperdave and Haftacut like this.
  2. Haftacut

Haftacut

Not sure what Sandhillbilly is selling a full face cord of unbundled wood for, but let’s assume he’s making twice as much selling the same face cord in bundle form. This would mean he is selling a face cord for $130. This may be very worth his time and efforts in order to double his profits. I got to believe you’re seeing the maximum people are willing to pay for firewood. If you bundled a face cord the same way Sandhillbilly did, at $300 a face cord, you’d be selling bundles for a little over $7/ea. To double your profits, you’d have to sell them for almost $14.50/ea. I can’t see people willing to pay that kind of money, but if they were, I’d bet you’d be a bundling madman:rofl: :lol:

3. yooperdave

yooperdave

All these threads about selling firewood reminds me of about 10 years (longer?) ago.

I sold some firewood bundles tied up with twine (you can burn that too) and charged 2.50 a bundle. It was on the honor system in a little stand I nailed together along the highway/driveway. I made enough to pay my property taxes that year but realized that there really aren't enough of the right kind of people to use the honor system.

4. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

I’ve thought about putting up a roadside stand along the highway at work. It’s right next door to the convenience store that the wife works at and they don’t sell bundles. The reason I haven’t is because I don’t know if the honor system still works/exsits.

John D, Eric VW, RCBS and 2 others like this.
  5. Softwood

Softwood

I have a hard time trusting people too, but it might be worth a shot putting a limited amount out and seeing how it goes?

6. yooperdave

yooperdave

For the most part, it worked. But, at 2.50 a bundle (large) and then people still stiff you? I decided to just quit.

We used to laugh about the "cheapos" out there!

7. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I think most of society is honorable, but all it takes is one bad apple to spoil it.

I wonder if WinonaRail rail has had and bad experiences at his stand? I know a jrider's son had a theft at his stand a few years ago and it made the evening news.

8. RCBS

RCBS

Faith in fellow humans is in short order these days, it seems. I'm putting one out this year. Hope to not be disappointed. Not in a high traffic area but is located 'on the way' to a campground if you're coming from the north.

9. jrider

jrider

To our knowledge, we haven't had any thefts in the last few years. And I do agree that most are honorable and the few scumbags spoil it.

10. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

I've had really good success with my stand. It's my primary means of selling as I work a full time job and don't have enough spare time to both produce and deliver firewood plus my inventory is somewhat limited. Recently I had a person (I saw him loading) take 2 bundles and a fire starter. I checked my cash box and found 1 George Washington. The price was $11 total. Interestingly a few days later I found an extra $8 in the box that was unaccounted for. I can only guess the guy came back to make a payment. He's still a little short. The strangest story is when someone (I didn't witness this one) took a few loose stacks and left a handwritten note saying I OWE YOU $40. Talk about some nerve! I have had some other overages so I suspect he dropped off some cash over the next month or so. I do have signs saying there are cameras and I also driveway alarms so maybe that contributes to overall honesty.

11. Highbeam

Highbeam

For some reason I started making wrapped bundles. Built a little jig and bought some wrapping film. My family members take a few for their home pits and camping, that's cool. I see no good way to make money with bundles. It's not worth the cost of delivering a few bundles to a buyer, roadside stand would be looted, the supermarket 5$ bundles is the the competition and since people are already at the market for food it's super convenient to pick up bundles from them.

Only if you can supply a super market do things look better. But they need a cut of the profits so you get 3-4$ per bundle?

It's too bad because making bundles is pretty fun.

buZZsaw BRAD and brenndatomu like this.
  12. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Viable points. Why I wholesale to a few convenience stores and get more than other guys.

Highbeam likes this.
  13. chris

chris

big market around Milwaukee area, every tom duck and harry store has some out front. $6-7 bundel .75cf for the most part . at least one supplier makes a big deal of kiln dried. wether it is dried or just heat treated for bugs I don't know.

buZZsaw BRAD likes this.
  14. Warner

Warner

Was at a gas station today that had bags(armful size) of firewood for 10.99 each. Didn’t see anybody buying but I’m sure they move them for that.

buZZsaw BRAD likes this.
  15. EODDiver

EODDiver

I see a lot of listings on Nashville Craigslist for bundles in the $5-7 range. I am banking $900-1,200 a day from September thru February delivering 3-4 face cords. I just don’t get selling bundles unless you don’t have the inventory or time to sell firewood. Yep, opened up a can of hickory worms.

16. jrider

jrider

If you were in a different market, maybe you’d understand.

17. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Neighbor boy got stand at end of driveway; his parents are fantastic and their lawn is manicured.. my fields are not..

I allow him cut split pine in my field for last few years.. want him on flat solid ground while learning..

Really good kid..

18. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Yep, Nashville sounds like "la la land" in regards to firewood

JimBear, buZZsaw BRAD and yooperdave like this.