In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What Type Of Elm?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Shawn Curry, Sep 19, 2014.

  1. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2014
    Messages:
    3,755
    Likes Received:
    22,702
    Location:
    Western NY
    I have several of these guys that are standing dead. One of them is right where I plan to put my garden next year. So this is the next flavor on my list for harder/long seasoning stuff. (right?)

    Pretty sure it's elm, but I don't know what kind - red maybe? How is it for burning, and seasoning times?
    The leaves were gone on the one in the bark pic, but there was another nearby that's not dead yet, so I took a pic of those leaves.
    IMG_1342.JPG
    IMG_1345.JPG
     
  2. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2014
    Messages:
    3,755
    Likes Received:
    22,702
    Location:
    Western NY
    I looked up some pics on different types. Guess I'm leaning towards American Elm now, based on the bark? Several of the younger ones could be easily mistaken for ash, just looking at the bark.
     
  3. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,983
    Likes Received:
    312,188
    Location:
    Central MI
    Yup. You are okay. Not too big so not a lot of splitting but will no doubt be tough enough. That is one reason we wait until they are dead and bark off or almost all of it off. Most times they split good then and not stringy so will also burn a lot better. The trouble with cutting before they die and the stringy stuff is that it dries quick and then put it in the stove and it is like kindling wood. Burns up fast.
     
    amateur cutter and Shawn Curry like this.
  4. basod

    basod

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2013
    Messages:
    5,048
    Likes Received:
    20,841
    Location:
    Mount Cheaha AL
    You will forever know this Elm variety with the expletives that you shout at it - while splitting it by hand:axe:
    Have fun:)
     
    Shawn Curry likes this.
  5. basod

    basod

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2013
    Messages:
    5,048
    Likes Received:
    20,841
    Location:
    Mount Cheaha AL
    I started to wonder if this is even elm - lacks the saw tooth edges on the leaves?
    I hope those leaves of three are attached to the tree and not a vine - because they look like poison Ivy
     
    Scotty Overkill and Shawn Curry like this.
  6. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2014
    Messages:
    3,755
    Likes Received:
    22,702
    Location:
    Western NY
    Haha guess ill double check - pretty sure it was a branch from the tree... Didn't break out in anything yet!

    I'll see if I can find any better leaves.
     
  7. schlot

    schlot

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    5,256
    Likes Received:
    30,504
    Location:
    NW Iowa
    The leaves do look funny.
     
  8. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2014
    Messages:
    3,755
    Likes Received:
    22,702
    Location:
    Western NY
    Haha oh well. I guess I should have asked about the burning and drying qualities. In relation to the soft maple I'm planning to burn next year. Same, better? Does it dry as fast?
     
  9. schlot

    schlot

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    5,256
    Likes Received:
    30,504
    Location:
    NW Iowa
    Much better than soft elm to burn, but give it an extra year to dry.
     
  10. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    you are on to something there. I don't think that leaf is elm, one for the reason you stated about the leaf. An elm leaf "Elm leaves alternate along 2 sides of the stem. The leaf is oval in shape and comes to a point at the end. The edges of the leaf are jagged and the veins are prominent. The base of the leaf is slightly uneven." Second, that leaf is pinnately compound. Elm is not, but poison ivy sure is. I couldn't find a hardwood tree in the north east with a pinnately compound leaf of three leaves. Maybe he can send the picture in to an extension service for ID?
    That top picture sure has a vine growing on the trunk of that tree.
     
    basod and Scotty Overkill like this.
  11. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2014
    Messages:
    3,755
    Likes Received:
    22,702
    Location:
    Western NY
    They're 2 different trees, but the both did have vines on them. Oops! :emb: Haha oh well I'm not as allergic to it like some people are. I gotta really get into it to break out in anything. Some of that ash in my stacks was covered in it. There should probably be a warning sign around them, but if you're gonna pinch my stacks, I hope you do get PI! :rofl: :lol:
     
  12. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    Hope you don't plan to burn any PI vine. Smoke from burning that is also toxic.
    If poison ivy is burned and the smoke then inhaled, this cause a rash on the lining of the lungs, causing extreme pain and possibly fatal respiratory difficulty.
     
  13. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2014
    Messages:
    3,755
    Likes Received:
    22,702
    Location:
    Western NY
    Well I stripped them of the vines, and I don't plan on burning the ash for at least a couple years. What do you do in that situation? Hate to let it just rot. Sit on it until the bark falls off, before I burn it?
     
  14. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    All I can really tell you is you should avoid burning PI, any part of it. Would hate to see harm come to anyone so it is best to be aware.
     
  15. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2014
    Messages:
    3,755
    Likes Received:
    22,702
    Location:
    Western NY
    Sure - I like all my neighbors. I guess I didn't really think about it, given my superhuman immunities. But my mom is pretty allergic to it, so I really gotta do the right thing.

    The PI seems to love the ash in my woods. We don't have the EAB here yet; so it's usually PI or some other kind of vine that seems to kill them. Maybe I should be stripping the bark off of those ones? Hate to just leave em to rot.
     
    savemoney likes this.