In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

A walk in the woods

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Jeffrey Svoboda, Feb 27, 2024.

  1. Jeffrey Svoboda

    Jeffrey Svoboda

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2015
    Messages:
    2,846
    Likes Received:
    16,747
    Location:
    Michigan
    Today was 72°+ so i decided to walk thru my woods and a little of the neighbors. It's easier to get to the bottom that way. Ended up looking for property markers. Took some pictures along the way.

    Woodpecker damage
    20240227_153234.jpg

    Wetland flower. I did an internet search and it says skunk cabbage
    20240227_154653.jpg
    20240227_154705.jpg

    deer rub
    20240227_160637.jpg

    Some fungus. An internet search says its called scarlet elf cup or scarlet cup. Supposedly it's edible.
    20240227_161351.jpg

    A little drainage creek
    20240227_162053.jpg

    A cool tree over the creek
    20240227_162217.jpg
    20240227_162303.jpg

    Neighbors property marker and house.
    20240227_165004.jpg
     
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2024
  2. Eric Wanderweg

    Eric Wanderweg

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2020
    Messages:
    8,555
    Likes Received:
    67,768
    Location:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    Nice woods. Skunk cabbage is one of the first green things to pop up in late winter. I'm sure if I go check the wet areas around here later this week, ours will be emerging too.
     
  3. Jeffrey Svoboda

    Jeffrey Svoboda

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2015
    Messages:
    2,846
    Likes Received:
    16,747
    Location:
    Michigan

    Thanks. These were all from parts of the property that's inaccessible with a 4 wheeler. Too steep and no trail cut out. I try to walk thru there once a year. Made the mistake of going down in my crocks. Coming up was fun with the dry leaves.

    I didn't really know what that stuff, skunk cabbage, was until today. Always hear/read people mention it.
     
  4. Woodwidow

    Woodwidow

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    15,512
    Likes Received:
    95,514
    Location:
    Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    Until your post, I didn't realize that Skunk Cabbage was divided into Western and Eastern Skunk cabbage. This is the Western cabbage and it should be showing up soon although tonight we have 6 inches of snow.
    [​IMG]
     
  5. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,157
    Location:
    Central MI
    I walked around the woods too and found tons of manure from turkeys and deer. Also found several trees budded out big time.