The sill is under the outside of the porch we enclosed for a Florida room. Flooring was nailed to it. At least some of the flooring has rotted. The good news is I have nearly four feet under the house here. I have removed the windows and door above the rot. Thinking I should take the walls (inside and out) down to the studs. So how would you tackle this? Jack up the roof and replace everything underneath? It IS a nice metal roof. I won't be starting this until spring. The good news is I helped a friend take down a circa 1950 house and he gave me the wood as payment. I have enough tongue and groove flooring to replace the whole floor. He sold the sills that were too heavy for me to move and gave me some I can handle. The house was converted from a barn back in the 1920s. It looks like the porch was added much later. I bought it and had it moved in 1999. They cut it in half and removed the second floor roof for the move. I've been having fun renovating it since then.
You do realize it is cold outside? Seriously, I'll get to them, maybe tomorrow, after we split some more wood.
Ok wasn't trying to seem impatient or pushy. We all know pictures show alot that we have a hard time putting in words, sometimes. Welcome aboard by the way.
This is an old picture of the porch. That little deck settled and angled toward the sill. We had constant rain one year and it ran off the deck right on the sill. I'm surprised there isn't more rot. The deck and steps are gone now. I will be replacing from the corner to just past the door. I have plenty of wood so I think I'll plan to block up under the floor about a foot from the outside. Then I'll nail supports from the floor directly above it to the roof joists. Then I'll take out the whole wall and door. Once it is open, I can cut out the floor and replace that whole section. I won't even need to cut the nails holding the floor to the sill. Then put up a new sill, replace the floor, replace the wall, deck and steps. This is a picture of the damage at the old door. Yes, I also have a lot of clutter on the porch to move somewhere.
What a nice home! No worries LPorter , this site has the nicest most helpful members on the internet and they are eager and generous with experience to help if they can Welcome to FHC L.