In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Shoulder Season Coninues

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Grizzly Adam, Oct 31, 2013.

  1. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    We are about three weeks into our shoulder season, have only had to carry in three small loads from the stacks so far, the rest has all been bits that aren't swell enough to be made into pallets.
     
    Pallet Pete likes this.
  2. swags

    swags Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,455
    Likes Received:
    13,240
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    weve been burning small loads too, this house really leaks a lot though so the chill comes right in so have burned more then I expected to.
     
  3. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,996
    Likes Received:
    312,300
    Location:
    Central MI
    Doesn't look like any cold air coming our way for a while yet. A couple weeks ago they said below normal temperatures for the last half of October and all of November. But the forecast does not look that way. We've also hit 60 two days in a row now but that won't hold after today.
     
    NortheastAl likes this.
  4. NortheastAl

    NortheastAl

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,887
    Likes Received:
    28,161
    Location:
    Putnam County NY
    We are at 60° and not going down below 52° overnight. About a week of warmer weather with one cold overnight thrown in.
     
  5. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Burned for a couple weeks, but temps are back up and look to be that way for alittle while. Like swags, we don't have the finest insulation happening here.
     
  6. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    Neither do we, I mean I just caulked a second pane into some of my windows with aim to do more. I have exposed 2x2s anchored to the cement walls with foam board glued in, waiting for drywall.
     
  7. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Jack, we've been burning for about 6 weeks and have gone through our scheduled :thumbs: amount of Pine and Poplar.
    Should get into the Maple full time in the next week or so and hope that gets us through Nov., at least.
     
  8. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    It's been cold up here, we've burned .61 of a cord so far (pine) we'll start on the second stack (.61 of a cord of hemlock) in the middle of next week if not before. We have a third stack (you guessed it) .61 of a cord of hemlock, bigtooth aspen & pine.
     
    papadave likes this.
  9. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    We aren't well sorted for this year, didn't know enough about it at the time. Next year will be better. But pine drop offs from pallet company seem pretty primo about know. We have the door open for trick or treaters and it's still 74 in here.
     
  10. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    Been burning steady on low for over a week.
    30s & 40s mostly.
    Did set a record high temp day, 56°.
    7 day forecast is for 20s & 3os rain & snow mix . Winter will be here soon.
     
  11. Paul bunion

    Paul bunion

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    3,396
    Likes Received:
    13,524
    Location:
    NJ
    Yes, winter isn't here yet, fall seems to have just barely started. Haven't done much burning and there is more wood in my yard than there was a month ago so I am in the plus column.
     
    papadave likes this.
  12. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    I'm right there with you. As long as that pallet company keeps tossing questionable wood, I am sitting very pretty. Incidentally, the old lady picked up 16 pallets from there today.
     
  13. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    Pallets did I hear PALLETS !:drool:
     
    papadave and schlot like this.
  14. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    I thought that might get your attention. Hope to turn about 4 of them into a green house, rest are for under the stacks.
     
    Pallet Pete likes this.
  15. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    :emb: A little :D That should be an interesting project ! When are you gonna do that ?
     
  16. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    Yeah, it will be little. Just something to keep seedlings from taking over my table in the spring. Hoping to get it together before the snow flies, but it have to feel better first.
     
    Pallet Pete likes this.
  17. mattjm1017

    mattjm1017

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    1,825
    Likes Received:
    3,262
    Location:
    North Eastern North Cackalacky
    It was cold here last week and I was thinking that winter was coming early and I was screwed because I dont have enough wood for that. But no worries its back up in the 70s again we just had a random cold snap. Ill probably get a fire going later this weekend and it will just be a here and there thing for a little longer.
     
  18. schlot

    schlot

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    5,256
    Likes Received:
    30,504
    Location:
    NW Iowa
    Been burning at nights for a couple weeks now. By early next week I should be through our face cord of boxelder and aspen.
     
    Grizzly Adam likes this.
  19. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    Schlot, I take it you guys are having about the same weather as us. Just seems like it hit a bit harder than typical, but the calendar has finally caught up with the weather.