Here's the sawbuck I built 2 weekends ago painted tonight. Should be ready for use this weekend. Didn't need to paint it, but I figured it would be easier to clean off this way. Basic design taken from Youtube and the net. I like the X design because it holds the logs in place and allows you to hit them with full rpm, so less likely to get smaller branches caught in the saw teeth. The U shaped design has it's place but the folding design is easier to store too. Had the wood already, but have about $20 in paint, carriage bolts, and a throw away paint brush. The wood is better since it's easy on the chain should you make contact as opposed to the factory made metal options sold at Northern Tool or competitors. Just have to be mindful of the carriage bolts, which could be trimmed for safer operation.
Agreed, it looks like a nice piece of furniture. Are you sure you want to get it dirty and scratched up?
Mine has that same folding X-shaped design, and I like it a lot. It's surprising how strong it is despite being built with fairly small-dimensioned softwood. I briefly thought I had come up with the idea all on my own, and then I saw almost exactly the same design in a line drawing in a Stihl owners' manual I'd flipped through previously. Apparently I absorbed someone else's idea without even realizing it.
That's a good design for a removable table top as well... For potting or really any outdoor project! Nice job...
Looks good! I've been thinking of making one and have been looking at pictures so I can build one. I might use some of your ideas.
Looks great! You're going to love it - I built one myself this year, and it's really improved my process. I can break down a trailer load of branches in minutes. Shameless plug.. I posted pics of my build here, though you could certainly skip a lot of the decorative steps: http://firewoodhoardersclub.com/forums/index.php?threads/sawbuck-build.5730/
Beauty idea rotti Shawn thats a great review of yours Thinking of just making mine outta cedar rails? Got an endless supply so when i goof up on the build it will be a cheap fix
mmmm This idea I like. a mobile potting table, an outdoor eating table or mobile craft table for messy projects.
Nicely done. I usually cobble one together from pallet parts every spring. Within a year it is all cut to hell and goes in the burn pile. I just make another and keep on cuttin...
Real simple the way I did it. Measure the 2 X 4's the length you want them, buy your bolts at the hardware stores for the number of X's you'll have. Measure the same point on each 2X4 where you'll join the X's. Center the hole and drill press through each of the 4 or 5 X's you want (8 or 10 individual 2X4's). I stacked multiple 2X4's and clamped them before I drill press through for consistency, so the holes will line up. Figure out how far you want the X to open and then line up one side half the total 2X4's on a flat work bench spaced evenly apart as you choose. Attach the plywood or whatever wood you choose to one side. Really important though. You have to space the other side of the X's different because you want the thing to fold and close up when you are done. Bring the 2 sides of the X's together running a bolt or fastener through each X. I would attach the plywood on the back side of the other 2X4's at that point once the X's are together making sure it opens as far as you want it to. Clamp the plywood on the back of each of those 2X4's and attach. Used a buddy's nail gun as a time saver. Was about an hour start to finish on that part.
Nice job on the sawbuck. Reminds me that I made one some time ago. I do think about taking a picture but so far have managed to put that off.... So, probably will get a picture when we start cutting this winter.