In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Thoughts on dentures or partials?

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by wildwest, Nov 18, 2023.

1. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Did scaling and planing today, wasn't so bad though I'm totally numb upper and lower on one side, I'll see how gums feel after that lol.

So, dentist said I need a consult on the sleep study, between sleep apnea, dry mouth and sleeping with my mouth open, the plan we come up with for that affects what kind of dentures/partials to move forward with. She said normally she would not remove a tooth could be saved, but, in my situation to fix all the cavities with no saliva just to have more pop up all the time she can see them for me. That appt is in a couple weeks.

YA!

She mentioned hybrid dentures, that sounded exciting....... til I looked it up, they're fixed onto posts in your jaw. I had the idea in my mind taking them out at night would help with grinding.

Meanwhile I've never had 2 of 4 quadrants of my mouth numbed, and I sound like this (he told her to cut wood with a chainsaw)

:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2023
  2. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

spotted owl, JD Guy, bogieb and 3 others like this.
  3. bogieb

bogieb

So, I talked to my mother on Thanksgiving. She actually refused to have the implant done a 2nd time after finding the first implant done. She now has a partial. She said that she is good with the partial although it took a while to get it "right" as well as to get used to it (because she could feel soemthing "different". Her older brother go a partial and hates it, so quit wearing it. She attributes that to his impatience at not getting used to it within days and unwillingness to go thru a couple of adjustments at the doctor's office (and maybe he didn't communicate well with the doctor when he did go in)

4. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Thank you so much for getting and sharing that info with me BB :) Looks like no magic wand, but I'm grateful there are options. Bypass all years of dental appts and drilling etc. losing one tooth after another along the way to end up with dentures in the end anyway.

bogieb, JD Guy and buZZsaw BRAD like this.
  5. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Bah!! Chiped off ~1.5mm x 1.5mm on top front tooth bottom center corner a week or two ago. Tonight, another 1mm along next to it (inside of the bottom of those those teeth are sharpened like an axe from the inside. Bean burrito. :confused:

I can't wait til Dec 12 for sleep study consult and partials consult. I almost talked myself into a false tooth for the bad one, I look like Dumb and Dumber in the next one. I can't see how fillings can make my teeth orig length and be strong enough to bite like most people do- not to mention the roots are pretty much dead. Who knows, Dentist says whatever sleep apnea stuff will help then she may be able to adjust my bite again too. I wish I could get things fixed faster, drawback of not living in a city. So consult mid Dec and rest of scaling/replaning end of Dec. THEN move onto the denture/partials etc.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2023
    JD Guy, theburtman and bogieb like this.
  6. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

My front teeth are fixed!!

Update, my dentist changed hours to 7-7 MTW, daytime appts booked out more months than previously. Saw a new dentist. Difference is Night and Day. The whole office has low key relaxed vibe, especially the assistant. I dig it! He has appts available +/- lunch hour. The office isnt freezing and water they spray in your mouth for rinse is not cold (cold sensitivity), he does front teeth root canals there (other lady said I have to go to Cheyenne, not gonna' happen). Most importantly he doesn't onsie and twosie me along with repairs like the last gal did, I wouldn't have stayed with her the last 10 years if I knew:picard:. Makes me wonder why? Office visit's for insurance?, or ?

He said all teeth are fixable, Put my big girl panties on, went in today and got 7 fillings on upper & lower right 1/2 of mouth. He did one front tooth without anesthetic :eek:, they're super dead. Took an hour, I'm floored 1/2 my mouth is fixed in ONE appt of ONE hour, last dentist would only do one or two at a time and getting to town for appts is really hard for me, especially strung out over multiple appts. instead of one.

Neat, he had a jarhead cut, turns out he's in the National Guard, does dental work. O7

Oh, I bought some Placker's night time mouth gaurds, too late for front teeth but I can't grind off gold crowns on my molars now. It holds my jaw slightly ajar which appears to solved sleep apnea.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2024
    JD Guy, Woodwidow, eatonpcat and 8 others like this.
  7. spotted owl

spotted owl

Super great news. Very happy for you.

Owl

eatonpcat, wildwest and buZZsaw BRAD like this.
  8. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Tyvm! Not that I don't do dumb stuff often (amuse myself almost daily lol) but how dumb I let myself get lead on for all theses years with last dentist. I appreciate your encouragement last fall still, the time will come...

No wonder I was troubled, between dreading getting ready and getting to town (big ordeal for me) plus the stress of the drill so many times was overwhelming. Holy cow should have seen another dentist years ago but the health care up here poor compared to where I came from, there isn't even a rheumatologist or endocrinologist here! There is one dermatologist that doesn't take insurance (another one at the hospital that visits twice a month, old loony lady...), Health care here is wild west for sure.

9. bogieb

bogieb

Wow, what a story. Glad you found a dentist that can take care of you - and do it in a faster (and presumably cheaper) way.

10. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Glad you are 1/2 way to :D

wildwest, brenndatomu and eatonpcat like this.