In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Reversing a Reverse: Chimney

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by iowahiker, Nov 25, 2023.

1. iowahiker

iowahiker

I purchased a rechargeable keyboard blower or duster (Amazon) to help start my outdoor grill which uses paper, kindling, and maple sticks and found it can also reverse my chimney when it back flows in the morning. I just point it at the interior top of the furnace, pull the trigger, and it returns the draft to up during the occasional cold morning downdraft.

Blowing the grill mix of paper, kindling, and maple sticks produces hundreds of embers which would be messy and dangerous indoors so I NEVER blow the burning material in the furnace.

2. MNWoodMan

MNWoodMan

I have the same problem but my stove is on a pedestal with an ash draw, so I use a store bought fire starter lots of dry kindling and a small fan. Get your stove loaded and ready to light light the fire starter and shut the door, all dampeners wide open turn the fan on high and place in the ash draw opening. Its like forced air induction works well in my set up. I struggled with this on my first year but got this to work for me. What type of stove do you have.

3. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

We have to use a hair dryer to warm out exterior masonary chimney to reverse the draft when it's cold. Rolled up newspaper on an angle works when electricity is out but it takes awhile.

4. Butcher

Butcher

I have found that starting a cold stove for me and my set up works best when useing the top down method. Big splits on the bottom, medium and then the paper/kindling on top. But thats just me. When its cold here I am not usually starting a cold stove or I would be cold.

5. JimBear

JimBear

I like your line of thinking.

6. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

WOW! A Butcher sighting!! You are on the missing members list sir! Howz things?
    Good to see ya check in again...stop by more often! :handshake:

7. Eckie

Eckie

I've found that works best for me as well. The "small fire first to make coals" leads to smoke everywhere when it's time to load the working wood.

8. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    yes, nice to see you here again.

9. Va Homesteader

Va Homesteader

When faced with a cold chimney downdraft I simply open a window in the area of the stove and it solves the problem. once the fires lit and smokes going up the pipe the window is closed.

10. Skier76

Skier76

Same here. Stove on the lower level. I often crack a window and open the door when lighting a cold stove.

11. Stoveaclaus

Stoveaclaus

I bought the draw collar. I hooked it up to a wireless plug that i connect to my phone. As I leave work I turn it on and in 15 minutest the flu is heated up and is drawing perfectly. I haven't had a problem since. I would highly recommend. Cost is about $300 but well worth it IMO.

NH mountain man, Skier76 and Eckie like this.