In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

A little wood yard maintenance.

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by jo191145, Nov 9, 2023.

1. jo191145

jo191145

Last time I used my log arch the battery fell off again. Time to rebuild the battery box instead of patching the battery box. Saw a cheap one at Napa. Figured why not. There’s four bolts holding it down and two all threads on the sides to keep the top from exerting to much leverage on the bottom four bolts. Or sumptin like that.
    Was going to replace all the gusset struts but lazied out at the last minute. Cut em off and shortened them. See what happens. The large tires take a lot of stress off the frame nowadays. New log catch in front too.

IMG_3161.jpeg IMG_3160.jpeg

Seeing as I was in fabricate mode I know I want a set of Grizzly bars before I begin processing again. Might as well whip some up. Been hunting for some cheap metal rods of sorts. Not having much luck.
    I threw out my back a few weeks ago so I came up with the idea of lightweight Grizzly bars. I have no idea how long they last before something tears them to shreds but nothing ventured nothing gained.
    Welding light tent poles to thicker steel is not fun. Turns out root passes with 5/64” 6013 is just enough to bond to thicker metal and just enough to not burn through light metal every second. I repaired many a hole tho.
    A second pass over with 3/32” 6013 was the rod of choice. An attempt to melt the blobs into one continuous blob. My welding is rarely pretty.
    IMG_3155.jpeg

Some small fins welded on at the outfeed end. The hopes are anything that is hanging in between the bars will be slid back up instead of tearing the thing apart. I expect trouble eventually :)

IMG_3157.jpeg
    The retract arm seems convenient for lifting it up a bit. Shorter storage and less stress while driving.
    Not sure if I’ll leave it on the splitter or just leave it out with the conveyor. What’s easier? Six of one, half dozen of the other.

IMG_3158.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 9, 2023
  2. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

You work amazingly hard so you can pretend to be lazy.:whistle:

No one that collects cuts spits wood is lazy

3. Ronaldo

Ronaldo

Looks good from here. Some of those ideas are ones that only time and use tell the tale. Loving that arch!!!

Sent from my SM-S536DL using Tapatalk

4. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

And... he's got piles and piles of split wood.

5. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Totally meant as a compliment..
    I am trying to incorporate some of his ideas

6. jo191145

jo191145

Right now I got piles and piles of logs. Getting close to time to fix that. :)

7. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Get together??? :saw: :axe: :dex:

8. Skier76

Skier76

Nice work Joe!

buZZsaw BRAD and jo191145 like this.
  9. EvaMorison

EvaMorison

The new log catch in front should help with the stability and functionality of your log arch. Have you thought about any other modifications, or are you testing it out for now? If you're considering landscape jobs or further adjustments, AroundWire can be a great tool to optimize your projects and streamline your workflow.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2024
    buZZsaw BRAD and eatonpcat like this.
  10. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Rereading this thread, ^^^That is a great line!!^^^