In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

pot o beans

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by mike holton, Sep 13, 2014.

  1. mike holton

    mike holton

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2013
    Messages:
    472
    Likes Received:
    1,402
    Location:
    Old Dominion
    yup, summer is declared officially over as of this morning at mikes house, just started my first pot of pinto's and bacon in the crock pot, my traditional signal to my family that im transitioning into the winter cookbook :drool:
     
  2. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Mom made those quite often when I was a kid.
    Love 'em.
     
  3. Chvymn99

    Chvymn99 Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    21,484
    Likes Received:
    113,766
    Location:
    KC Metro
    :drool:..... Sounds good...
     
  4. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Mike, got cornbread?:D
     
    fishingpol and Chvymn99 like this.
  5. mdavlee

    mdavlee

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2013
    Messages:
    4,380
    Likes Received:
    10,479
    We eat them year round. Chili is usually a fall food. I can't wait to make some of that soon.
     
    basod and Chvymn99 like this.
  6. basod

    basod

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2013
    Messages:
    5,048
    Likes Received:
    20,841
    Location:
    Mount Cheaha AL
    I like my navy beans slow cooked with salt pork, molasses, brown sugar, onion and bell pepper.

    The Gf will make a winter meal of beans w/ham, cabbage, and cornbread when it's 98F out - I'm not one to turn a meal down though
     
  7. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    Agreed, best time of year to cook. I make two crocks in the wood oven with some fresh bread. Fine eatin'.
     
    burndatwood and Chvymn99 like this.
  8. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    Oh my! Lots of good taste. I just love home cooked beans. Flavor that is never found in a can. Pintos are one of my favorite, but my wife won't touch them. About he only time I get them is when I go to the Cracker Barrel.
     
    Chvymn99 and papadave like this.
  9. basod

    basod

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2013
    Messages:
    5,048
    Likes Received:
    20,841
    Location:
    Mount Cheaha AL
    Speaking of beans any of you Mainer's know if the old B&M factory is still open in Portland - I think you drive by it on 95/295 - that stretch of highway always smelled fantastic
     
    My IS heats my home likes this.
  10. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    Still there. I think they may have new owners, but the label and product remains.
     
    My IS heats my home and basod like this.
  11. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    Basod's brisket with a side of beans.:drool:
     
    basod, Chvymn99 and savemoney like this.
  12. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    found this on the net, wife is going to make it for me!

    Cracker Barrel Style Pinto Beans

    Ingredients

    2 lb. bag of dry pinto beans, 1 lb. cubed ham (95% fat free), 1T onion powder, 1T garlic powder, 9T sweet pickle relish, 9T chopped raw onion (sweet or white).

    Directions

    Sort beans and soak overnight according to package directions. Drain and rinse beans in the morning. Combine in slow cooker with ham, onion powder, and garlic powder. Top with enough water to cover beans. Cook on low approximately nine hours, or on high four and a half hours (or until beans are tender). Makes nine servings. Top each serving with a tablespoon of pickle relish and a tablespoon of chopped raw onion. These are the key ingredients! Cracker Barrel serves this dish with a side of cornbread; however, nutrition information for the cornbread is not included here (relish and onions are).

    Number of Servings: 9
    Nutritional Info

    • Servings Per Recipe: 9

    • Amount Per Serving

    • Calories: 233.0
    • Total Fat: 3.1 g

    • Cholesterol: 23.7 mg

    • Sodium: 1,085.3 mg

    • Total Carbs: 33.7 g

    • Dietary Fiber: 9.1 g

    • Protein: 18.4 g
     
  13. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    Beans are soaking!
     
    papadave and basod like this.
  14. basod

    basod

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2013
    Messages:
    5,048
    Likes Received:
    20,841
    Location:
    Mount Cheaha AL
    I bought two jars of them from my local M&P grocery store last week, the jars had dust on them like they'd been there for years.
    They aren't as popular down this way, everyone buys Van Camps and adds what they like I guess
     
  15. Certified106

    Certified106

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    4,172
    Likes Received:
    11,912
    Location:
    In The Hills
    I told my wife I was wanting them on next weekends camping trip...... I guess it is just that time of year.
     
  16. Woodwidow

    Woodwidow

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    15,514
    Likes Received:
    95,530
    Location:
    Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    Beans have one unfortunate side effect but in an old cook book of mine there is a suggestion to mitigate the effects.

    Sort beans, wash with cold water. Add beans to boiling water in a large kettle. Bring to a full boil and turn off the heat. Let stand for an hour or more. Bring to a boiling and let boil until tender (about an hour). Drain and then use them in your traditional baked bean recipes.

    When I cooked with more beans, this is the method I used.
     
    basod and campinspecter like this.
  17. basod

    basod

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2013
    Messages:
    5,048
    Likes Received:
    20,841
    Location:
    Mount Cheaha AL
    Unfortunate side effects?
     
    Chvymn99 likes this.
  18. Chvymn99

    Chvymn99 Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    21,484
    Likes Received:
    113,766
    Location:
    KC Metro
    :rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:..... :D
     
    papadave and basod like this.
  19. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,717
    Likes Received:
    224,376
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.
    Made a quick order of "doctored up" beans when the weather turned cold the other day...Had the same unfortunate side effects myself.
     
  20. Mr A

    Mr A

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    344
    Likes Received:
    536
    Lot's of good stuff in beans. Beans, the musical fruit, the more you eat the more you toot. Learn to make yogurt, and use the whey to reduce phytic acid, and gas. No fart beans