In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What's up today (bullchiting) thread.

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Gasifier, Oct 6, 2013.

1. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

It’s getting comical now….

went to change the end wall on the shelter as it shredded itself in our latest round of 40 mph winds.

this was from earlier this year.
    IMG_9657.jpeg

As we were pulling the main cover back over the end bow…
    IMG_1140.jpeg

it’s $550 to replace the cover. The wife lost her job because the owners wife has a complex a month ago, we’re looking to move when winters over into the camper…

We put this shelter up in July 2019. It’s a ShelterLogic garage in a box 14X32X12. We got it originally for storing a boat I bought in 2018. Sold that April of 2020 to take advantage of the Covid silliness. It will be its fourth cover now. Warranty is 12 months, they seem to fail every 14-18. Original and this cover were likely just due to age. Second cover was due to hail in May ‘22.

we rent our place now and I’ve been here since 12/2007. Landlord won’t get me a permit to build a real garage for the property.

I was told last night, the truck won’t be done for several more days due to the guy who was supposed to split the fuel tank into a fuel/ hydraulic tank didn’t do the job after two weeks….

And I’ve had no income really since 8/10. Why I tried finding a full time job when I got home at Labor Day.

It just makes a guy want to cry some days.

Horkn, eatonpcat, JD Guy and 6 others like this.
  2. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Are you home from the hospital now? I'm praying for you and your Bride, and damming Murphy out of your lives. And real men cry.

Horkn, eatonpcat, JD Guy and 5 others like this.
  3. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

Yeah, I got home on Thursday afternoon.

and thanks.

Horkn, eatonpcat, savemoney and 6 others like this.
  4. Sourwood

Sourwood

Another great weekend, weather wise. Saturday we attended a friend’s annual birthday/Halloween celebration. They live on the north side of the county, and he built our outdoor patio and kitchen, patterned from his.
    He had dropped off communication for a while, and during the party, he announced he was cancer free. We weren’t aware he was afflicted. New news, but good news.

Today, I was working on the splitter engine. Removed the starter and solenoid for diagnosis. Also removed the carb to do a cleaning. The supply place for the LCT engine prices a new one for sixty bucks. It has a logo on it, and research on Amazon has them for twenty. Hopefully I will soon be splitting again.

Horkn, eatonpcat, savemoney and 9 others like this.
  5. Stephiedoll

Stephiedoll

Glad you're back home and praying things get better soon.

6. lukem

lukem

Got a lot of firewooding done over the weekend. I got a couple piles of rounds from storm damage over the summer split and stacked, a medium sized hickory tree processed, and a big load of ash. I'm probably back to a 3 year supply now.

7. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    Is there a way to glue a patch over the slit until spring comes? Pieces of a tarp or canvas with strong glue might keep it in place for the winter.

8. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

I’ve tried in the past.

never had great success. The sun destroys the base material so stupidly quick.

this cover costs $400 and with shipping etc is $534.

the “heavy duty canvas” that is next for it is like $1800. It has a 10-year warranty. Leaving here in less than 8 months now, just not worth the funds.

I went to the menards website and “built” a 26’X32’x10’ garage and it’s $13,600 for materials plus concrete. So if we build it ourselves, under $20,000 for a new double wide garage where we’re moving to.

9. savemoney

savemoney

Oh man, you have had some bad luck. There is an old saying, "If it were not for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all." Saying a prayer that things will improve for you.

10. lukem

lukem

For the past couple weeks my kids have been complaining of their ears ringing while riding in my truck, then they said it was a high pitch squeal. I couldn't hear anything, but probably can't hear that high anymore.

Yesterday I caught just a little bit of a whine from under the hood and took a look and found a wobbly idler pulley. Found a part locally and will try to swap it out this evening. Hopefully that fixes it.

11. savemoney

savemoney

Hard to get a good picture of Mt. Katahdin without some haze. I took this off FB today. The foliage is now past peak so not sure of the date for this pic.
    [​IMG]

12. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

Thanks

Seems like our theme song right now.

13. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

Well a bit of good news today…

truck will be ready for pickup and I can get it on Thursday. First loads are Monday 10/30.

cover is ordered and should be here before I get home around 11/4.

Horkn, eatonpcat, JD Guy and 7 others like this.
  14. billb3

billb3

The crap in the sky at sunrise and sunset block the blues and purples and magnify the reds/orange/yellow.
    The best sky colors are just before sunrise or after sunset for the same reason - the sky acting as a filter.

15. billb3

billb3

It is the sun that does them in. I bought mine in 2004 and i just noticed two small rips in the original cover. I parked it in the woods though.

16. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

They were kind when I talked to them today.

“we can give you 20% off a standard or heavy duty cover today….”

we’re making plans to build a house next spring now.

I’ve build several homes in the project builder on menards and am finding several options to building a 20’x30’ cabin which will let us develop Glasir for basically cash.

17. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Our first home was a 20x30 cabin, loved it!

18. Stephiedoll

Stephiedoll

A little good news. Hopefully everything will start going your way.

19. ole

ole

More leftovers from this springs deck build. The 6 by 6 had a real good twist in it but I made it work.

IMG_2832.jpeg

20. savemoney

savemoney