In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What's up today (bullchiting) thread.

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Gasifier, Oct 6, 2013.

1. lukem

lukem

My truck has been leaking ATF around the pan gasket for a while now and finally got around to fixing it this AM. Felt pretty good outside this morning with some cool dry air.

Ford could have made that job a lot easier by adding a drain plug to the pan, moving the exhaust pipe about 3/4" closer to the engine, and having and actual dipstick/filler accessible from the top, but here we are. Worst part is you have to check the fluid from underneath, full hot, engine running, and the catalytic converter leaves you barely enough space to not nuke the back of your hand.

All sealed up now....shifts a lot better now too.

2. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

FX4?

dorman actually has a replacement pan for the F150 with a plug in them.

3. lukem

lukem

Nope, just a 2WD with a 6R80. I've seen those pans but wasn't worth the $50 to me.

4. Warner

Warner

Yup got a nice scar on the back of my hand from that Fing dipstick. Those teeny bolts that hold the pan up like to break off too!

5. lukem

lukem

Had 1 do that to me this morning. At least it was one of the easy to reach ones and it came right out.

6. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

7. savemoney

savemoney

Tried to take a nap this afternoon. When I was trying to get up to go to the bathroom, both my knees buckled and down I went. My wife, my son, and my grandson were not able to help me up. They tried but the pulling hurt like heck. Rescue was called. They were here in just a few minutes. Three of them had some special lifting blanket they used to get me to my chair. Now my back hurts like dickens. I think what hurt most was my pride. I hate all the falling. I really appreciate the rescue staff for their work.

Chvymn99, Ohio, wildwest and 6 others like this.
  8. tree killer

tree killer

I don’t really like it Larry but no other option. One time I had a little fender bender and broke basically my pelvis and couldn’t take any weight on my right leg. EMS and FD came. I’m 6’4” and not scrawny. The EMT was about 5’4” and was pretty scrawny. He said put your weight on me and we will climb up this ditch, mind you pretty damm steep and probably 15 feet to the top. I think he came out worse than me and I was still half azz walking. In the ambulance I looked down and said I was about 4 inches shorter on one side than the other, he laughed a little. Then I said he’s now probably that same 4 inches shorter. Then he drove a needle in me.

9. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Would a transfer belt help?
    I know some EMS folks...they do this a lot for people, some abuse the service though too, locally they had to start charging people who abuse it...and I know a written thank you to the FD/EMS goes a long way toward keeping these folks spirits up on days where it seems many take them for granted.
    Hope you are feeling better soon! :handshake:

Chvymn99, Ohio, wildwest and 7 others like this.
  10. Stephiedoll

Stephiedoll

Hope the back gets better soon savemoney .

11. bogieb

bogieb

Nope, doesn't sound like a fun time. Hope your back gets better with a bit of rest.

Chvymn99, wildwest, savemoney and 5 others like this.
  12. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Not good Larry. May this pass soon.

Chvymn99, bogieb, wildwest and 5 others like this.
  13. Backwoods Savage

Not liking this July weather. Thankfully today is supposed to be the last of it.

Chvymn99, bogieb, Ohio and 5 others like this.
  14. yooperdave

yooperdave

.........it is. :handshake:

Chvymn99, eatonpcat, wildwest and 2 others like this.
  15. yooperdave

yooperdave

Well wishes, thoughts and prayers for savemoney

billb3, Chvymn99, Stephiedoll and 5 others like this.
  16. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

And add a little determination too
    We need you here save$!

17. savemoney

savemoney

We didn't have anything that looked like summer. It was monsoon season the whole time. Now that fall is here, we had several days of beautiful weather, but too warm for October I really feel sorry for those with kids and those who spent money on vacations. Leaves are turning now. I saw some brilliant reds, yellow, and orange on the maples today on my way home from the pulmonologist.

18. Meche_03

Meche_03

It's not much better on Chevys with the 6 speed transmission. No drain and the drivers side exhaust crosses over to the passenger side under the pan. So close that you can not remove the pan. Chevy says drop the exhaust from the headers to get room. I jack up the transmission about an inch off the crossmember and use a ratchet strap to pull the exhaust down after I remove the hanger straps.

My Chevy has a transmission dipstick in the engine bay. And yes the bolts for the pan are small, steel, and go into aluminum. Always use a torque wrench because finger tight is close to too tight.

I've changed transmission fluid and filters in all my vehicles. I typically change the fluid at about half the milage the manual recommends. It really made a difference in the Honda Pilot shift performance. Chevy truck I didn't notice a performance change but the color was getting dark.

I change all the fluids in the vehicles;, engine, transmission, differentials, transfer case, coolant, brake fluid, steering fluid..... I know most don't but besides my house, the cars are my most expensive asset, and they depreciate even with good maintenance. I aim for 20 years and 250000 miles.

19. Backwoods Savage

It might be a rainy day here.

wildwest, bogieb, savemoney and 3 others like this.
  20. Stephiedoll

Stephiedoll

Looking like gooder weather for at least the next week. Saw this on Facebook Marketplace and told the guy I would give the full $160 if he held it until Saturday. Stopped by yesterday between jobs as I was within 15 minutes, about an hour from Omaha, and left a deposit as he was not home. It did start up, no smoke and moved so super happy with how it runs, just ugly as sin. Same 185 as the one I have with a snowblower so didn't see how I can go wrong. 20231004_141237.jpg 20231004_141256.jpg

Attached Files:

wildwest, Chvymn99, bogieb and 6 others like this.