In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Pokeweed

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Eric Wanderweg, Jul 21, 2023.

1. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Thanks for clarifying. There's a book with a very similar title by a different author. That dried bulk herb place sounds like a treasure trove of information. I'm just now taking up a more serious interest on the subject. Last year I found out about the weeds growing all over my backyard (Jewelweed) which the "aloe" inside can be used to treat poison ivy. Not coincidentally it grows wherever there is a lot of poison ivy.

2. Eckie

Eckie

Yep, Jewelweed's a good one. It relieves being 'stung' by stinging nettle as well. Looking at some of Doc Jones stuff, Im betting you'll enjoy it.

I want to make tinctures, and maybe some oils/salves at some point. I watched some vids recently on Burdock...amazing how useful/medicinal its supposed to be, most eveyone around here considersit a annoying weed. I found a ton of it on the farm this spring when I was turkey hunting. Looking to harvest some of it this fall when the timing is right.

3. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

The old Foxfire books has a lot of mountain knowledge.
    I never ate any poke salad, but have read about it. The leaves had to be picked very young, boiled several times, with water changes between.
    Mature leaves, stem and root is very poisonous, berries not as bad. Be VERY CAREFUL.

4. bogieb

bogieb

I have jewelweed all over too. I also used to have lots of PI, but for the most part have gotten rid of it. However, I still get random PI from birds dropping seed from other properties (the former swamp next door used to be crawling with it). I used to pull the jewelweed all the time from my shrub garden. But now let it go for the most part. It grows so fast that it helps keeps other, worse weeds in check by shading them too much.

Pokeweed - I get some that pop up from time to time, and know that the leaves and berries can be eaten, with the correct prperation. But
    I get ads on FB all the time for either that book, or one very similar. Kind of weird that it doesn't have pokeweed in there. Although since all parts of the plant are considered toxic, it was/is used mainly as a dye. I found this interesting - 1 berry per year used for arthritis

upload_2023-7-22_4-40-44.png

5. Skier76

Skier76

It’s pretty fascinating what nature can cure or help with.

6. Eckie

Eckie

Looking in the book again to make sure i hadn't missed pokeweed, or if it was under a different name, doesn't seem to be in here. But, I forgot that this book had an "ailment reference guide" in the front. Hopefully I won't go to jail for posting the pic...

20230722_101435.jpg

7. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

A little yard cleanup today
    I don’t think it’ll be on the menu tonight IMG_1765.jpeg

8. Warner

Warner

Pokeweed no but smokeweed…

9. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

First ive heard of this. As a kid i liked swinging a stick to break them as they are rather brittle.

Hope it works out and let us know if you try it. Lots of natural remedies out there.

10. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

Pokeweed is something I've never attempted to ingest. I've always found it to have an offensive odor, almost medicine-like in its scent. I've even always stayed away from Queen Anne's Lace because of its resemblance to Poison Hemlock. I do know the differences now as an adult, just never ingested it because of the old knowledge of just how bad PH was.

Just as a reminder.........we all gotta be really careful with using wild plants. There are look-alikes and some really dangerous stuff out there, especially in thr mushroom world.

11. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

I guess the FDA just changed the rating on morel mushrooms to eat at own risk or some such thing. A bunch of people got really sick from eating some not fully cooked.

12. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

13. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

There's false morels, they look really close but there's a few key differences. We also have mushrooms that mimick morels here, they call them "dog peckers" in these parts lmao....anyway, they are edible but can give some people indigestion and upset stomach.

14. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

We get the beefsteak false morels here. They are very poisonous.

15. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Update: About 7 hours ago I ate my first ripe pokeweed berry (spitting out the seeds). I'm obviously still kicking :) Not a terrible flavor, but not exactly palatable either. Tomorrow I'll eat 2, then Friday 3, so on and so forth until I get to 5 which is the recommended dosage. Once I get to that point I'll give another update.

16. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

17. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

If I kick the bucket please don't let them put "big pharma was right" on my headstone :picard:

18. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

I forgot the update on Monday. Anyway, it worked for me. Doing a 15 berry regimen (across a 5 day period, increasing quantity by 1 per day) alleviated my joint pain. I went out and picked about 400 berries and froze them. If I was to do the regimen every week, that’s exactly a 6 month supply. I figure I’ll pick at least another 400, just to get while the getting’s good. Not that I’m going to eat them every week, just as the pain flairs up. I also started taking a turmeric capsule every day, which is another natural arthritis remedy. All in all I’d say this was a success.

19. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

Did you start taking the tumeric on the same day? If yes I suggest you stop one or the other to see if only one is helping. Just a thought. I'm glad these are working for you. I take several plant based supplements for a condition I have that help.

20. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

I just started the turmeric regimen yesterday. The real test will be after my next physically demanding activity, like moving firewood or a long hike.