In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

State of the woodpile, Vol. 3: Stinky Oak Edition

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by rainking63, Aug 18, 2023.

  1. rainking63

    rainking63

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2020
    Messages:
    335
    Likes Received:
    3,294
    Location:
    Old Lyme, CT
    Hey all! It's been a minute since I've posted a new thread. It's been a busy summer and the scrounging life continues.

    I was on my way home on Monday afternoon, and about six houses down the street from me there was a tree service taking down an oak. I drove up and asked if I could take some of the sticks if the homeowner didn't want them. They were happy to load up my truck with their machine and I was more than happy to take it!

    Yesterday evening I got around to bucking and splitting. I assumed this was red oak, as my neighborhood seems to be nothing BUT red oak. As soon as I got the maul through the first round it stunk to high heaven. It still has the telltale pungent red oak smell, but with an overwhelming musky manure-like odor along with it. This was a live, healthy tree as far as I can tell. I've just never experienced this kind of aroma coming from a tree before. Maybe not red oak? I dunno... my tree ID skills are lacking, and though my phone app suggested red oak I am taking that with a grain of salt. Your thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

    Otherwise the stacks continue to grow. I have more ash and maple to split, and by October I'll be moving a couple of cords into the woodshed to burn, baby burn! The saws are running like champs, the axes are sharp, and the beer is cold. Scrounge on my friends.

    PXL_20230817_232906343.jpg PXL_20230817_232927925.jpg PXL_20230817_232952292.jpg PXL_20230817_233106502.jpg PXL_20230817_233138493.jpg PXL_20230817_233151562.jpg
     
    Stephiedoll, JDU, Hinerman and 7 others like this.
  2. MikeInMa

    MikeInMa

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2016
    Messages:
    15,856
    Likes Received:
    114,851
    Location:
    Southern Worcester county
    I'm OK with the smell oak gives off. To me, it smells like wood!
     
    Timberdog, JPDavis, Bill2 and 3 others like this.
  3. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,780
    Likes Received:
    215,146
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Thats pin oak...variety of red oak. Typical red brown heartwood. Darkest of the red oaks IME. I does wreak like manure. Ive processed some good sized ones.
     
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2023
  4. The Wood Wolverine

    The Wood Wolverine

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2015
    Messages:
    18,860
    Likes Received:
    121,466
    Location:
    Gettysburg, PA
    I've never had the opportunity to process pin oak but I've heard the hype. I've only ever had one bad experience with stinky red, it was a partially rotten/decayed trunk. I've been through a lot of it and I like the smell.
     
    Biddleman, JPDavis, eatonpcat and 3 others like this.
  5. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,983
    Likes Received:
    312,192
    Location:
    Central MI
    Pin oak is okay and yes, it is in the red oak family. A bit stronger in odor but as it dries you won't notice it as much and it will burn like normal red oak. It's good stuff.
     
    Timberdog, Hinerman, JPDavis and 4 others like this.
  6. brenndatomu

    brenndatomu

    Joined:
    May 29, 2015
    Messages:
    25,146
    Likes Received:
    163,445
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    Yup pin oak...good firewood! I personally don't think oak stinks...but I did cut a hickory one time that smelled like an old whiskey barrel!
     
    Timberdog, rainking63, JDU and 4 others like this.
  7. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,780
    Likes Received:
    215,146
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Thats odd. White oak has the whiskey smell. Maybe the local wino was peeing behind it! :eek: :rofl: :lol:
     
  8. The Wood Wolverine

    The Wood Wolverine

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2015
    Messages:
    18,860
    Likes Received:
    121,466
    Location:
    Gettysburg, PA
    I definitely get a vanilla-like whiskey smell with white oak. It’s great. :thumbs: