In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What's up today (bullchiting) thread.

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Gasifier, Oct 6, 2013.

1. yooperdave

yooperdave

Probably needs the defrost heater to be replaced? I got tired of doing that on my fridge and bought a new one.

I found the file on the fridge (it was in the house when I bought it) and added up the repair bills for it. Previous owner spent more for repairing that very fridge than they did for the fridge when it was new! Plus, I had repaired it and additional two times (that I can remember) which was parts only charges.

Yeah, it was past time to replace that old GE, thank you!

2. yooperdave

yooperdave

We had a surprise and then a good laugh yesterday.

We ate out for breakfast yesterday morning. When returning, pulled into the driveway and began driving down the 800/900 feet of gravel when an eagle that was perched right over the driveway takes flight. (we have a number of trees that eagles frequent but they are along the lakeshore which makes this one unusual).

As it left, something falls to the ground from where it was perched. After parking the vehicle, curiosity got the best of us and we walked back up the driveway to see what fad fallen.

The eagle had dropped into the yard and picked up one of the labs chew toys thinking it was an easy meal. What we saw falling was the stuffing and the outside portion of the formerly stuffed animal!

3. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Great story Yoop that coy dogs bobcats are why I have bigger dogs

4. yooperdave

yooperdave

Walked up the driveway late this morning and the eagle was there once again! Don't know why it would be perched along that area, it's too far from the lake for it to be beneficial to the eagle. Molting, maybe?

No stuffed animals were harmed in today's episode!

5. Hammerhead20

Hammerhead20

Is it a juvenile?

6. yooperdave

yooperdave

No, it's an adult. Already has it's "colors"

7. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

So I found a note under my wiper after work today! Are there rules that I don't know about parking too close to a front bumper? He and I will have a chat if I see him!

20230811_211052.jpg

8. tree killer

tree killer

Back in high school those of us who had snowplows, conventional plow days, used to pull he headgear off in the spring so we didn’t have to listen to that thing rattle all summer and look at it. Always left the push plates sticking out to whack your kneecap into thought. Watched a guy, forgot I guess had those sticking out the front of he frame under the bumper, pull up to one of those fancy newer cars with the plastic bumper cover. Bump it went and left 2 nice rectangular holes in that plastic about a half inch by 4 inches. OOOOPS.

9. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I'm sorry, maybe I'm just a big jackazz, but I'd show him what "too close" looks like next week...drop a piece of cardboard against his bumper and then roll your truck against by hand, remove cardboard, wait for the next love note :rofl: :lol:
    [​IMG]

10. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

Cost it with super glue and place it in the middle of his windshield.

11. bogieb

bogieb

They are opportunistic hunters/feeders, they don't just survive on fish. Don't need to be close to water. And, what is "too far" for us, is a short, straight glide for them.

That being said, perhaps it is an eagle looking for a mate but trying not to encroach on a nesting pair's territory. Maybe it is looking to take over the local eagle's territory. Maybe it is one of the nesting pair trying to get some peace and quiet from some rambunctious nestlings. Maybe it's mate is out of sorts (becuase of those rambunctious nestlings) and it is giving the other space. Maybe it is trying to lure the nestlings to fledge.

Plenty of "reasons", but wild animals don't always conform to our expectations, so maybe it hates fish and is more into furred dining.

12. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Not far from us a farmer counted 44 deer in a soybean field of his and 10 more across the fence on his neighbor's land. This goes on daily so it is no wonder why permits are available.

13. Perry long jr

Perry long jr

FarmerJ and Chvymn99 like this.
  14. yooperdave

yooperdave

A more precise description of them would be "scavengers". Constantly seen on deer carcasses presented courtesy of the highways traversing back and forth across the U.P.

I have no expectations of animals/birds/etc. It is nothing more than an observation. I was not looking for an explanation of why it was where we saw it; I suppose we could draw up different scenarios all day long as to why it was there. The closest nest to where it was is over 2 miles away.......in a straight line.

The eagle was in a tree in a heavily wooded area at an unusually low level.......nowhere near the top of the tree where it could readily fly off. The one spotted two days in a row was at a level where it needed the clearance of the driveway to begin its flight to attain any sort of elevation.

I posted this thinking of people that just don't have to opportunity to see what we experience on a daily basis (eagles) and hoping they would enjoy the uniqueness of it.

Three days ago, we had one fly over with a meal clutched in it's talons. Also, have observed them a number of times "diving" down to grab a meal. I watched one miss 3 times before it finally got the fish!

I know of a guy that shot two ducks on one hunt. He got home, laid the ducks outside on a low shed roof, went inside to grab a sammy and saw some movement outside. An eagle swooped down, grabbed one of the ducks and sped off.

I also know a couple of people who let their "foo foo" dogs outside. They would yap yap yap in the yard until an eagle swooped down and grabbed them. The yapping quickly turned into shrieking and it got carried away in both cases.

15. tree killer

tree killer

Was at the BILs camp a few weeks ago. He is in a pretty remote place and on a pretty quiet lake. One side is Indian land and no camps, other is sparsely populated. Lots of islands with nesting eagles. Also lots of those damm loons, I hate loons! We went out on the pontoon and saw a loon family, mom dad and younguns. All of a sudden one adult started squealing and flapping and they dove. I looked the other way and an eagle was a few hundred yards away flying. BIL comes up with the loons did what they did because they saw the eagle, headed not towards them mind you, and told the kids to run. I had to spit out half a beer, mostly through my nose, and say “that probably didn’t have anything to do with you about to run them over did it?” I think the eagle had a fish in its claws or something was there and probably it’s own kids to feed as it headed to the nest.

16. yooperdave

yooperdave

Same thing here. The ducks with broods will start a racket and most often we will see an eagle soaring over the lake. The ducks and young ones always stay close to the shoreline.

17. yooperdave

yooperdave

5min ago.

This is a young one, doesn't have it's colors yet.

IMG_20230812_115323130.jpg IMG_20230812_115428229.jpg

Attached Files:

18. savemoney

savemoney

Looks like the predictions are in.
    upload_2023-8-12_12-5-58.png

19. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

People are going to lose their sheet again if we have a normal snowfall. That’s like 50-60” at the farm.

20. TrinitySouth99

TrinitySouth99

Nice place in Harbour Grace for 137,900 bucks.

e002e0b9-fa4e-4285-90e0-b8b8d601043e.jpg 0f185128-8cd7-42ed-af9b-187f9a193e0e.jpg 3ca9d841-2d07-4410-8d24-47c1b148e908.jpg 56fd4e1d-c59f-4f34-8bb1-9c7f46014fe9.jpg 1394229f-c6e0-47ee-a3d1-25cb9987e303.jpg

FarmerJ, SimonHS, Woodwidow and 3 others like this.