In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What's up today (bullchiting) thread.

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Gasifier, Oct 6, 2013.

1. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

2. Hammerhead20

Hammerhead20

3. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

Yes, feeling much better. I was able to split almost a full cord over the weekend too

and thank you

4. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

At least I got to the end of my day basically. I was 75 miles short of the rest area I wanted to get to on the east side of Indianapolis.

IMG_9857.jpeg

5. Warner

Warner

No bueno!

You long haul guys and your flip flops! Lol. We get weekly full trailer delivery’s of basically quick Crete coming from Ohio. The drivers will jump out into the snow with flip flops on to break the seal. I always chuckle.

6. Hammerhead20

Hammerhead20

At least he is not one of those "Turbine Truckers" from the desert who love to wash their feet in the sink at the truck stop....... :rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:

7. Warner

Warner

:bug::zip::thumbs:

8. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

Believe me, when I’m loading/ unloading, the flip flops are in the truck.

this is actually the first time I’ve brought them this year.

no reason to be uncomfortable when all you’re doing is walking in to use the restroom.

9. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

The guys with the turbans actually aren’t the problem….

10. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

The wife has been wanting some DQ ( A Blizzard ) after working outside together around the house and taking care of some flowers at the cemetery, we came home and loaded the dog up and made our way to DQ.

The dog received her ice cream (free) and we both had a blizzard and then came home. The meal last night only put on 2.8 pounds (194.4 to 197.2) so I think supper will be a wrap and then a slice of apple pie.

11. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

:handshake: Glad to know another with bad luck-Otis

12. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

I checked out a corn field yesterday.
    orn-girl.jpg

13. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Went to see the flood at apartments; coming back racing the storms had to grab a face cord of kiln dried kindling IMG_1752.jpeg
    Maple cherry and black walnut took mostly maple cherry just need chop saw and box mostly 1”x1.5 by 6’

Working smart

14. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Sweet! Reminds me of the times I picked up old lath. Super kindling but lots of nails.

Chvymn99, Chaz, wildwest and 4 others like this.
  15. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Thought about a thread FEMA vs Churches in a disaster area.. thought it might cross a line.. with comments BUT

in Short I will take a church every day of week !!

Chvymn99, Chaz, wildwest and 4 others like this.
  16. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

17. lukem

lukem

Dew point in the mid 70's today. Feels gross outside.

Chvymn99, Chaz, wildwest and 3 others like this.
  18. bogieb

bogieb

FEMA's function is not the same as a church's function, so I'm not sure the comparison is fair. FEMA's function is to assess a disaster area, see if it qualifies for federal (taxpayer) aid and assist in the bigger picture stuff like infrastructure grants and aiding those that aren't insured - and the disaster has to reach a dollar threshold before they are allowed to step in. They are not about helping individuals, but about aiding larger communities because that is where the "bang for the taxpayer buck" is. Do you know how many communities won't qualify for FEMA aid? I'll bet a lot (becuase getting a blanket, state declaration to reach that dollar amount is tough).

Churches are neighbor helping neighbor in a time of need. They are small enough and don't have the massive rules to follow, so they can be agile and creative in how help is administered.

FEMA can come up with trailers housing (note that I didn't say they were efficient). Churches can coordinate with neighbors that are able to take in others in need of shelter.

I'm not an expert, nor have I stayed at a Holiday Inn in several years. This is my very simplistic view of how things are, so take it for what it is worth (probably not even 2 cents). And in the end, Federal agencies are rarely my first choice as to "who is better" on an individual or small community basis.

19. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

bogieb okay I get your point disaster approved on Tuesday. Call 211 for update FEMA $$ paid for. 5 questions asked same answer I dunno.. can you fill out 7 page form.

Friday get to my building..

Barre Auditorium FEMA headquarters brought 3 tenants without cars up. We got a bottle of water; the clean up kits for the toxic mud were in a trailer. Trailer got dinged in transport door was stuck.. at least 40 officials standing around search and rescue; police (local and military) Red Cross and bunch of people in FEMA jackets. Realize they said on news come get the kits mud is Toxic.

door won’t open on trailer; I got a crow bar and angle grinder; FEMA.. no… come back tomorrow . Fill out these forms please.. for what? the supplies.. you can’t get to them,,, well for 3 bottles water. it took 45 minutes in a dust storm from the blowing wind, drying the toxic mud, making it look like a sand storm in the dessert . Stop talk to a local on way down he says stop at the church XY

church has; food clothes diapers food dehumidifiers water bedding masks bleach etc etc all donated from locals 3 tenants got what they needed loaded couple cases of water in truck bed..

as we are getting in truck a 70 you female say sir;
    yes mam; which way you headed? down 14 past statue.​
    May I please trouble to bring a box or two to xtra parking lot.. Gladly we take it..
    no paper work just a stay safe and god bless.

edited to add:
    since Church was on my way out at end of day i stopped by after.. I offered to do hour of delivery to help.. oh thank you we got as many drivers as we need. Ok I’m headed up hill to Berlin; wait just a minute we load your truck :handshake:
    This beautiful soul could makes USPS profitable

Last edited: Jul 15, 2023
    Chvymn99, Chaz, bogieb and 6 others like this.
  20. savemoney

savemoney

[​IMG]