In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Mulberry maybe?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Sandhillbilly, May 31, 2023.

  1. Sandhillbilly

    Sandhillbilly

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2019
    Messages:
    4,261
    Likes Received:
    30,750
    Location:
    North central Nebraska
    126D65C2-C3EA-431D-A7A5-C28CA9B3E6BF.jpeg D5094102-072D-4F26-BB12-B91F71A2F66B.jpeg 87DA9E36-9770-41DD-9E5D-4C0BD55936CC.jpeg 34669188-EF31-4B0B-AF07-FFB634048B33.jpeg Could this be a mulberry. It’s growing in a kinda no-mans spot between my neighbor, myself and maybe the alley. I’ve never seen any fruit on it but the other day it was loaded with something that looked like it could become mulberries. When I thought about getting a picture last night I could hardly find any, but had a bit of hail the day before
     
  2. MikeInMa

    MikeInMa

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2016
    Messages:
    15,858
    Likes Received:
    114,861
    Location:
    Southern Worcester county
    From the PictureThis app
    Screenshot_20230531-083304_PictureThis.jpg
     
  3. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,784
    Likes Received:
    215,184
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Leaves and bark say yes. Future firewood for you?
     
  4. Eric Wanderweg

    Eric Wanderweg

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2020
    Messages:
    8,563
    Likes Received:
    67,860
    Location:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    White mulberry definitely :drool:
     
  5. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,784
    Likes Received:
    215,184
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Is there a way to tell white from red other than the berries?
     
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  6. Eric Wanderweg

    Eric Wanderweg

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2020
    Messages:
    8,563
    Likes Received:
    67,860
    Location:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    The top surface of the leaves on white is glossy, and on red it's dull. I think red leaves are larger too. I know there are a handful of red mulberry in our area, but virtually every the time we see a mulberry in CT it's white.
     
  7. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,784
    Likes Received:
    215,184
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    i'll hafta check the one in our yard.
     
    Backwoods Savage and JimBear like this.
  8. Chud

    Chud

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2020
    Messages:
    7,262
    Likes Received:
    54,117
    Location:
    NC
    I wish I had seen this earlier. I know where some Red Mulberry be and will get a picture tomorrow.
     
  9. BuckeyeFootball

    BuckeyeFootball

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2020
    Messages:
    1,336
    Likes Received:
    9,116
    Location:
    Michigan
    Yes sir 100% Mulberry.
     
  10. Chud

    Chud

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2020
    Messages:
    7,262
    Likes Received:
    54,117
    Location:
    NC
    A young Red Mulberry
    IMG_2321.jpeg IMG_2320.jpeg IMG_2319.jpeg
     
    The Wood Wolverine and JD Guy like this.