In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What's up today (bullchiting) thread.

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Gasifier, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Hammerhead20

Hammerhead20

2. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

Wouldn't that be something. Lol

3. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

So here is some history with this company, formerly Herman Miller, now Miller knoll after purchasing a failing competitive company during covid and combining names. For decades this was one of THE places to work. Great benefits, good pay, clean working environment. A place people wanted to work and were proud to say they did. Hard to get into. My wife has been there 24 years. I have a cousin that started there right out of highschool. He's in his late 50's and has advanced pretty hight up in one of the plants from a floor worker position. Anyway, for years they were on the top 100 places to work in the USA and family oriented.

Things have really changed under this CEO. Up until the last few years, new hires were hired to do one job. As in, if hired to build pedestal file cabinets, that's what you did. You learned every station on that line and you were there for a year. They do switch stations every 2 hours to help prevent repetitive motion injury. Basically your job title was pedestal assembly associate. Each assembly line was its own job classification. You could sign a posting to move to a different job after a year but most were just assembly of a different product and the same pay so most just stayed where they hired in at with the friends they made ect.

Fast forward to the last few years where new hires are, as an example, simply assemblers. They bounce them all over the plant to just get them a little bit of training on everything with little emphasis on being proficient. Just a body to fumble along half-assed from lack of proper training. Then, all the product screw ups get dumped on the long time employees that know how to do the jobs correctly.

Enter COVID and like many companies, after big brother paying people to stay home for months at a time, they were having trouble keeping or getting new hires. So they raised the starting pay $2 an hour and offered 2 weeks paid vacation upon being hired vs the year wait for one week they previously offered. That still wasn't enough to keep workers so they came up with this pay for skills scheme which has really ruined the morale for 1/2 the employees. How that worked, I kid you not, was like this...

They passed out paperwork to all the employees and said write down every job in the place you are proficient at. So they did. The company has yet to make any of them prove they are proficient. They just took their word. These workers, most with less than 5 years at the company received $4-$6 raise based on their own word. Now, people like my wife, who signed postings and moved around there, has many jobs she is proficient at but because she is no longer in production, she couldn't use any of the previous experience for a raise. She's still hourly but not production. So she got $0.50 an hour raise. They did the same thing to material handlers regardless if they could run every line in the place previously to becoming a material handler. Essentially, they paid $4-$6 an hour raises to most of the unskilled workers, amounting to roughly 60% of the workforce. All skilled workers like machine repair, electricians, machine operators and office staff like planners, schedulers, inventory auditors, got the 50 cents. Then to add insult to injury, they gave ALL salary people unlimited vacation. Take as many days as you want as long as there is someone here that can cover you. The hourly office employees don't have that option.

You now have 1-5 year assembly associates making more than many of the skilled trades and many long term employees and they don't see the problem.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2023
    Chvymn99, savemoney, SimonHS and 5 others like this.
  4. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

Sorry about the novel....:loco: :crazy:

5. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Hahaha, I look forward to reading it tomorrow and meeting you on Friday!

6. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

Me to bud. I hope to be heading out before 10 tomorrow.

7. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

:eek:

You gotta' be kidding me!!!!! I'm really sorry for your other half. And shooting themselves in the foot with tenured employees, where do these backwards ideas come from?

8. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Is she going too?

9. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

In our previous careers (both husband and I) they of our major competitors for large scale office furniture jobs. Some items like chairs were the cat's meow, others, like cubicle and filing components weren't as impressive, but the price difference was still immense. I cannot imagine the profit made. I know Covid has changed everything, all businesses are suffering, heck, the resins for metal roof paint are weeks and months out and I imagine it's the same stuff needed to paint the steel for their compnents. Regardless that message was inappropriate and I would not be suprised to see them losing long term reliable/skilled employees.

10. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

Definitely not. She needs fired. And fast as the backlash is mounting. Its all over the news. Forbes magazine ect.

11. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

I wish I were kidding. They have ruined this company.

12. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

No. Just me. She goes with me to Kevins but relaxes at the camp ground.

13. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

Oh they are. Many jumped ship or are actively seeking alternative employment. My wife included.

14. yooperdave

yooperdave

Same school as ...........??

[​IMG]

15. Hammerhead20

Hammerhead20

"LIBTOID" thinking being pounded into the heads of the masses by a basically defunct education system and SOME brain dead parents. All geared toward dividing the general population into a very defined "CLASS" system resulting in upper vs. lower control.

16. Hammerhead20

Hammerhead20

Due to my physical limitations I can no longer process my own firewood, so I have had to resort to buying it already cut and split. Ordered 2 cords to start restocking the shed. The lad who I get my wood from uses this trailer for his deliveries. He pulls it with a F-350. Neat rig and super heavy duty.

thumbnail_IMG_0959.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0960.jpg

17. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

18. Gasifier

Gasifier

Good to be home. Trip to help my brother done. Will be good to sleep in our own bed tonight. Always sleep better at home.

Hammerhead20 That is a nice dump trailer he has. It is nice you can still burn wood for heat!

19. Lennyzx11

Lennyzx11

Some CSS to do today after cutting the stump down from an old apple tree in the yard. It never produced so I cut it last year but left the waist high stumps.
    Yesterday got out the new to me 461 and it didn’t want to cut so back to the shop. Rather than grabbing another saw or chain, I spent some time giving the chain a careful grind and checking the rakers(good).
    I’m still learning with the grinder was why.

Back out to the apple tree and oh man was the 461 ready to go then! You mighta seen a smile or two as it was buried up to the dogs and gettin it!
    Cutting and bucking went way too fast. Then loaded the rounds with the pickaroon.
    Split and stack today. I’m going to make some chunks for my son’s smoker hobby.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Gasifier

Gasifier

Took my Wife, youngest daughter, and my Mother out to dinner tonight. Then back to Mom’s house for brownies and vanilla ice cream. Now. How to figure out how to get up off the couch when it’s time to go home. :handshake:Daughter handshake annnnnd PULL!