This pile of Sugar Maple (some soft ) will get split and stacked with the rest of the Beech. Picture 9943 is the stump of what I thought was Elm, any thoughts?
It should be a much better day for work tomorrow. We'll expect some pics. I wanted to work on my trails but I have to help build a new snowmobile bridge.
The day started off with me going in to the woods so I could get the rake I left yesterday so since I was going back in I grabbed a load of ice storm damaged maple ( pic 9949 ) once I was back home I started stacking the rest of the Beech. After that I started splitting and stacking both soft and sugar maple, I thought that the day was done ( pic 9952 ) so I decided to take one load of pine needles back in, once that was done I went for a ride to get more wood ( red maple, I think .. 9955 ) so when I got back that went in the stacks. ( pic 9956 )
Up on the roof today, I have some fascia board that they never put a nail in ( @ the peak ) that looks like it could come down in the next strong wind, so we'll be cleaning the window and the gutters since I'll be up there.
Zap, I like how you can just roll into the stacks with the trailer and drop the splits into place, so convenient and easy on the body.
It's nice to have the room so you can do that, it took some time getting the areas ready but it was well worth the time spent clearing some smaller pines out. I remember when I first started with the wood, I never had any areas ready so when I brought the wood home it got dumped I would stack it the following year, I still get in that same bad habit except we have a chit load more wood stacked. This is the last stacking area around the house, I do have plans for more wood on the north side of the house.
We did that about a month ago, that sun was hot today on the roof... I remember a day when the old body could handle it. The gutters were pretty much clean of any debris, we'll take another look after the leaves are done falling.
yep....when you wake up and feel pain you know you're still here and at least you can remember back to when the body could handle it so you are not too old yet.
Back at stacking wood tomorrow but only after I haul a load of Pine needles back in, then I'll grab another load of Maple out of the woods so I can finish this stack. I still have some nice Sugar Maple, Yellow Birch to split, the Yellow Birch pile has some other wood in it......just not sure what it is. After that is stacked we have some nice Cherry ready for stacking.
We're in the mid 70's the next couple of days, still nice. It's almost time to line some work up for next spring.
Whatcha doin with the pine needles? I'm trying to come up with ideas on what to do with mine, besides killing grass. The house is surrounded by various kinds of spruce and pine. Makes a nice winter windbreak for the north side of the house, but I can't grow any grass around them. I have a 40-50' norway spruce in the front yard that's probably going to become my christmas tree this year (gonna cut off the top and prune it to shape). I'd like to replace it with a black or honey locust. But first I'll have to dig up the 15' diameter bed of pine needles under it.
I use them in certain areas on our trails, after about two or three years they turn in to a fine dirt, I'll get a picture this afternoon. Last year I did more trail work than I did this year, I had one area that was getting washed away when we had hard rains, most of last years Pine needles went there, cured that problem.
Post number 15, I did that section from top to bottom.......it makes for a smoother ride after you put the Pine needles down. http://firewoodhoardersclub.com/forums/index.php?threads/trail-work-2014.3800/
Yeah that was Plan A for me too. There's a few low spots along my trails that need building up. Plan B was for compost, but I've been using sawdust for that and it's been working great.