In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What's up today (bullchiting) thread.

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Gasifier, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

Thank you!
    It was beautiful here! I cleaned the bar, fired up the fire pit Friday and some friends came out. Smoked wings and baked beans. Kinda a birthday party I suppose. We didn’t close the bar till 12:30 am or close to that.

today is nice and cool I feel rain in my bones though I havnt looked at the forecast. I’m pretty sure it’s rolling in! By the way metalcuttr check the backdrop out it looks great there!

AD00749D-CEEC-4F88-A8CC-42AC03D07BDD.jpeg 115509BA-6B97-48B0-A5D6-CE8F139DAEBE.jpeg B061E847-FF32-4B8A-A8F6-AAEA43CCA722.jpeg E7F173FE-571E-4111-B876-A6A97DA4009B.jpeg

2. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Thanks I was wondering where I got 7

3. Horkn

Horkn

That's what I was thinking.

4. Ohio

Ohio

Temp has been dipping into the 50s at night. I was going to turn the whole house fan on to cool the bedroom last night. The fan has great white noise and 50 degree air feels great. Some derelict neighbor was burning trash/plastic and I turned the fan on and stunk up the bedroom. :headbang::doh::picard:

5. yooperdave

yooperdave

That and your water has been tasting a bit funny lately??? :rofl: :lol:

[​IMG]

6. savemoney

savemoney

No outdoor burning anywhere allowed here this time of year. Until things green up, the fields and forest are tender dry on the surface. No drought, just dry grass, leaves etc. Always get a few fires along the roads etc. Sometimes just recklessness. We had 80F Friday . Peepers were singing. Buds on the trees are swelling up.

7. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

As a resident of the largest dairy producing county in Ohio, I can tell you there was no open windows last night here either...farmers are going gangbusters hauling manure! :faint:

8. Warner

Warner

The liquid stuff they spray out of a tanker? That stuff packs a punch!

9. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

Stacked this on Thursday before I left.
    ACB379F8-540D-4F2D-A827-FA86E099B6A4.jpeg

got this picture today.

5612EA0B-5A5A-4C96-99F9-617C85A12AA5.jpeg

Doesn’t look like it will warm up until well after next week now back home.

10. TrinitySouth99

TrinitySouth99

This would come in handy for traveling

DSCF4695.JPG

11. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Yeah, and "solid" manure too...basically the barns get cleaned out, and the slurry pits emptied before crops get planted. They really only get 2 times per year when they can spread on the fields, in the spring before planting, and later in the year when crops come off...sometimes also in June when the winter wheat is cut. They used to spread on hay fields more commonly between cuttings (which is 3 or 4x/yr) but that is being done less and less due to regulations about when and what animals can eat that hay then.
    I agree that liquid can smell worse, but cow is nothing compared to chicken or pig manure, those are just WOW! o_O
    We had rain come through this afternoon, so that will knock down most of the smell for now, until they start hauling again anyways...but this only lasts a week or two, and then they work ground and plant.
    In our area there is a very large dairy farm (milk 3k cows 3x day) that is going to pumping manure more and more. They set up a pump at the lagoon (and booster pumps along the way, if needed) and then have a 6" or 8" hose that gets laid cross country (crossing under roads through culverts) to a very large 4x4 tractor with a chisel plow that is designed to drag the hose along as they pump manure and it gets injected right into the ground, very little smell with that. There is a lot of setup and teardown involved with this method, but once set up, they can pump out A LOT of volume, very quickly, and with minimal staff and equipment, at least compared to the traditional methods of hauling, which usually involves many trucks and/or tractors/people if going very far with it. And this particular large farm has fields for miles around, so that takes a pile of equipment (not to mention fuel, labor, and wear n tear) to do it the traditional way.
    The contractors that do this "pump it" method have miles and miles of hose (and its very heavy duty "lay flat" hose too, read: very expensive!) so that is a significant investment to start doing this kind of work.
    Guess this post got a little long...you could say its a load of crap I suppose...:whistle: :rofl: :lol:

Chvymn99, Ron T, yooperdave and 8 others like this.
  12. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

They are starting to use booster pumps here and 10-12” industrial hose. Run it along the ditches etc and through culverts to the field. Then a special digger injects it into the ground…

no more odor which in Minnesota isn’t regulated.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2023
  13. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

Why is it that assembling household shelving and furniture always defeats a guy who can fix almost anything thrown my way. :thumbs::rofl: :lol: Total PIA to assemble.

F555C8A9-C09F-4847-9B36-EC9F5553B986.jpeg

14. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Yay, got the dryer running today. It was just the receptacle thankfully, dryer powers up. yooperdave

Can spider webs short out a receptacle?

15. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Not normally...maybe if it is a GFCI type...

16. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

There was some lint in there too, but not much. A couple tiny weird small cob webs in there, maybe one of those collected lint and shorted?

And not GFCI.

17. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Yeah 220v dryer outlets are never GFCI type, at least that I've heard of. Just saying that a GFCI type could trip from a web, especially if it got damp.
    Chances are it just burnt up from a poor connection. That's often what happens to receptacles that are commonly subject to "full loads" like a dryer receptacle would be.

18. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Thank you, regarding poor connection from full load, it's the receptacle only and not reusing the same wires on the Romex I keep using?

19. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Let’s see mulching wife trees and flower gardens..
    37 … 2 cu ft bags and we ARE not done:hair:

20. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Usually the wire can be cut back to where it is still good, then just replace the receptacle.
    The "bad connection" can be where the wires attach, or the female part of the receptacle where the male blades are supposed to fit in tightly, making a good connection...a poor connection starts to make heat, and things just go downhill from there.