In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Got a vet appointment...

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Chvymn99, Sep 5, 2014.

  1. Chvymn99

    Chvymn99 Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    21,485
    Likes Received:
    113,766
    Location:
    KC Metro
    Just rambling my thoughts..

    So I just went in this evening get a vet appointment for my oldest dog (my first dog that I've ever had Daisy Mae). She turned 11 years old this month. Well she's had a rough go at it the last two years. She had a seizure two years ago, been acting like her eye sight and hearing is going, temperature sensitive. Now here in the last two months I think she's been getting arthritis in her back hip. Well two days ago, I had to help her get up. Well I guess today she stumbled and could herself back up. Plus develop a bulge to her right front shoulder. So I'm taking her in this coming Wednesday. To see what's going on. I don't want to see her suffer, but I also know that Labs life expectancy is not much longer either. But through thick and thin she's always at my side usually under my feet.

    Any words of advice? Never been in this situation. Just a lot of thoughts and emotions are running through my head.
     
  2. rottiman

    rottiman

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    14,437
    Likes Received:
    95,936
    Location:
    XXXXXXXXXXX
    Unfortunately, I have been through it a number of times. My best advice to you is that think of the quality of life the pup is currently having. If she seems in misery, she no doubt probably is. Do the un-selfish thing and go forward with what has to be done. Remember all of the good times and keep in mind she deserves only the best. It is so hard as they become key members our families and our lives. Wish I had better advice for you, but there is no cure for the aging process.
     
    will711, gbreda, HDRock and 9 others like this.
  3. cnice_37

    cnice_37

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,211
    Likes Received:
    14,236
    Location:
    SE Mass
    Sorry Chvyman, it sucks. Let your gut guide you.

    Rottiman is spot on. All about quality of life.

    Been there done that, amazing how much I still miss my "first baby" almost 2 years later. But she is better off now, and that is what was most important.
     
    Stinny and Chvymn99 like this.
  4. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    This.
     
  5. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    I waited way too long when my 17 yr old little dog's life went bad. She was totally blind and couldn't walk when I finally let her move on. Now my guilt is because it could have ended before her quality of life became so bad.
     
  6. Locust Post

    Locust Post

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    8,951
    Likes Received:
    52,505
    Location:
    N. E. OH
    Rotti is right, I've been through it too a couple times. Last one was the hardest with my 12 y/o Aussie in June of 2013 and I could still tear up if I think hard about it but there comes a time when you have to determine what is best for the animal not what is best for you.
     
  7. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh
    I wish I had words to help. I have lost dogs growing up, but I never personally had to take one in. My Father was always the one to do the duties. They become family and it's hard to do "What's right" rather than let them suffer.

    I am facing a similar situation, with my first dog ( as an adult). My "Princess " is over 16 years old. She has had a good life, but she has recently lost most of her hearing and her eyesight is going as well. I got her when I was a senior in High school. She has been with me through thick and thin.

    Timber (White shepard) is now 7 months old and has learned a lot from her. I wish she could make it another 16 years, but I know the reality of it. :(

    20140901_130452.jpg
     
    gbreda, HDRock, WeldrDave and 7 others like this.
  8. jetjr

    jetjr

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2014
    Messages:
    3,233
    Likes Received:
    8,953
    Location:
    Pa/Md line
    Its most definitely a hard decision, but like others have said you have to take the dogs quality of life into thought. It's never easy to lose a loved one 2 legged or 4 legged. The most important thing is that the dog not suffer undue pain/suffering. Also is this a vet you've used for a long time and trust? My wife had one tell her a lot of things would work for her dog only to spend a ton of money and than be told we've done everything we can do 2 days later. I think that weighed heavy on her thinking the dog would be ok and than having to put it down. Whatever you do make the best decision for the dog. Good luck with it no matter what.
     
  9. rottiman

    rottiman

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    14,437
    Likes Received:
    95,936
    Location:
    XXXXXXXXXXX

    Excellent point, there are good vets who treat cases with great empathy. Then there are vets who are good at pushing the bottom line of their practice. Production line service with the eye on how well HIS bottom line is at the end of the year. We're talking about a billion $$$+ industry who plays on the hearts of pet owners, especially when they are most likely to spend $$$$ in hopes of preventing the inevitable. I am one of the lucky ones , My vet came to the house the last time I was forced to end the misery of my 17 yo German Shorthair. He knew exactly what all of that meant to my wife and I. As I said, you have to do what is best for your pup, taking the pups best interest in account. Good luck, I know what you are experiencing.
     
  10. Smokinpiney

    Smokinpiney

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,811
    Likes Received:
    20,675
    Location:
    "South" Jersey
    As many have already said, follow your gut feeling. You'll know what to do after the vet appointment. It's tough for us to make that decision but it's our responsibility as their owners/friends to do what's best for them. I had to put my lab "cheyenne" down suddenly 3 years ago and it still think about her every day (she was only 7). But after the vet visit and not much hope from the conversation with the vet we decided to do what's best for her. Im so thankful that my vet is an honest person and doesn't push surgeries and antibiotics if they know it's not in the animals best interest. I'm tearing up as i type this but i wish you and daisy mae the best. Maybe the vet will have some positive words to tell you and i hope they do. But prepare yourself to have to make a decision in the best interest of her.
     
    HDRock, Stinny and Chvymn99 like this.
  11. Jon1270

    Jon1270

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,886
    Likes Received:
    4,543
    Location:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Three years ago we lost our relatively young beagle to lung cancer, and it was one of the hardest, saddest things I've ever had to do.

    One idea I found helpful was to remember that dogs don't have abstract ideas of life and death, so this whole process doesn't have the same meaning for them as it does for a person. The dog is not ambitious. He doesn't have a bucket list of things he's always wanted to do. Dogs live in the here and now, which is why quality of life is the dominant issue.

    At the same time, it's also good to consider that dogs don't struggle with every health problem in exactly the same way that humans do. Because they have few expectations, they also have few frustrations. Blindness or deafness might not be such a big deal. Chronic pain probably sucks quite a lot.

    I think it's helpful to be clear about the fact that at some point you'll be keeping the dog alive for your own sake, and not for the dog's sake. That line isn't necessarily easy to see, but you can anticipate its approach, and watch for it.

    When it was finally time to let ours go, we remembered that he dreaded the vet's office and instead had a vet make a house call.
     
    HDRock, Chvymn99 and Stinny like this.
  12. Chvymn99

    Chvymn99 Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    21,485
    Likes Received:
    113,766
    Location:
    KC Metro
    Thanks guys for the advise.

    As far as the vet goes, I've never met him personally. But my friend is one of his assistance, and I trust her. She's the one that has helped with those out of the office visit. We've always just dropped them off and she took care of the rest.
     
    HDRock and My IS heats my home like this.
  13. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    I'm always surprised at FHC responses to subjects like this. Don't know why... they are of this caliber, consistently. Caring, first class thoughts...

    Good luck with your decision Chvy. Give Daisy Mae a pat for me. She's obviously in very good hands. I'm sure you'll do whatever is best for her.
     
    will711, HDRock, basod and 4 others like this.
  14. Chvymn99

    Chvymn99 Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    21,485
    Likes Received:
    113,766
    Location:
    KC Metro
    Thanks, I will. But you are correct and said it best. Thats why I knew I'd get good advise here and could kinda of get it off my chest....This is a great group of guys and gals...
     
  15. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    Good luck with Daisy Mae. Sometimes the hardest decisions may not seem like the best decisions. Go with guidance from the professionals, and whatever it may be, rest assured, it is for the best.
     
    HDRock and Chvymn99 like this.
  16. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    A little bit of everybody else's posts kind of sums up the situation, and they did it in their own way so well .

    My wife and I are boxer people, we each have had dogs since we were kids.
    We enjoy what we call "boxer love" and this breed does it for us.
    Our guys have dog health insurance and see the vet regularly, as we treat them
    like our kids. We know this breed is notorious for health issues and yet we
    continue to have them in our lives. They have short life spans but no matter how
    short it would be the best they (and us) could get.

    I have the worst time mentally preparing for the day things will change, but I know
    it's life and this is what I got into it for.

    Our vet has been our dogs medical caregiver for a long time now and he will come to
    the house if the situation arises that we cannot get one of our dogs to him.

    Chvy, I'm glad you came here to share your thoughts on this situation. Good luck!
     
  17. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    "This is a great group of guys and gals..." ... considering we hoard firewood and love gettin sweaty dirty workin' it up... we ain't too bad... :rofl: :lol:
     
    HDRock, papadave, DexterDay and 2 others like this.
  18. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,655
    Likes Received:
    144,629
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    good dog owners give their pets a dignified life. Great dog owners have the courage to give them a dignified death when the time comes.
     
    cnice_37, jetjr, HDRock and 6 others like this.
  19. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    Very well put. So true.
     
    Chvymn99 likes this.
  20. WeldrDave

    WeldrDave Military Outpost Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,182
    Likes Received:
    56,136
    Location:
    The Communist Socialist Republic of New Jersey
    I second that so "very much"! Chvy, know that I'm balling up with tears reading this but You need to do what is right, I'm not saying any more… Just know I've already said a prayer:(.
     
    HDRock, rottiman and Stinny like this.