In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What's up today (bullchiting) thread.

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Gasifier, Oct 6, 2013.

1. TrinitySouth99

TrinitySouth99

Gaultois, a tiny community on our south coast with no roads and therefore only accessible by boat, has shrunk 80% in population since its fish plant shut down. Now it's less than 100 people, and many, possibly the majority, are (perhaps reluctantly) ready to give up and leave it behind.

I feel bad for people like the elderly store owner who doesn't know any other home, and feels like he'd have to go into a seniors home if he had to move from his community, even though he and his wife are still quite capable of living on their own. But, the reality is, the government is spending a fortune to run the ferry for these few dozen people. It's sad.

I'd like to visit several similar communities, because they are beautiful places, some almost like a time machine. but if this one votes to resettle in a few weeks, I won't have the chance to see this one. There are several others who still have more determination to hold on, at least for now.

Screenshot_20230317_065023_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20230316_193907_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20230316_194012_Chrome.jpg

SimonHS, savemoney, Horkn and 7 others like this.
  2. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

They keep a handicap list. They have first priority to get their priority turned back on. C heck with them. A form may need to be filled out from your doctor.

Horkn, Ohio, wildwest and 4 others like this.
  3. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

I use a couple different pairs to help deal with PTSD issues as well as when I’m out splitting wood or snow blowing. They also get used at work. They filter out the outside noise basically. I don’t know the technical term. There are two types Active and Passive. Active uses a battery and will actively cut the noise level down where passive has some magic I’ll never understand that uses no power to achieve a similar result. I don’t like passive been there done that.

By far the best pair I have are JBL TWS earbuds. They are crystal clear for phone calls and have three different levels of noise cancelation. The sound is WAY better than my AirPods Pro as well. AirPods Pro are Apple so they have a very good quality build and sound but also the Apple price tag with them. Don’t get me wrong I love them and they get used a lot too but I learned my lesson on price after I purchased them. Other manufactures can and do compete at the same level much cheaper.

There are a lot of manufacturers of these earbuds these days. They pair with your smart phone, tablet, smart TV, computer, set top box ect… whatever you want to connect to that’s capable of connecting so you can listen or talk. Heck all of my phone calls are done on either the JBL’s or the Soundpeats. Both very high quality earbuds.

The best pair I have for touch controls are the soundpeats you touch the earbud to turn up the sound, turn down the sound, answer calls, skip music and so on. Yes I look like the idiot trying to look cool like I’m a secret agent or something. :rofl: :lol:

I also have over ear JBL headphones that are mind blowing at noise cancellation. They sound awesome and cut out almost all the background noise. If I’m in the wood shop at work those are what I’m wearing.

The battery life is dependent on what you buy. Mine all come in a slim battery case with 5 minute rapid charging so I can go for a couple days without needing to charge them. The over ear version goes for something like 30 hours before needing a charge.

Somewhere an engineer who actually knows how these work is either rolling on the floor with laughter or beating his head on the keyboard after reading that awful explanation…

Chvymn99, Horkn, wildwest and 6 others like this.
  4. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

So, how are they when running a saw? What about shooting?

Sorry about the cat problem. I hate to see animals suffer.

Chvymn99, Horkn, wildwest and 6 others like this.
  5. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

The over ear set works great with the saw as do the JBL in ear set. I can bring the over ear set up at the gtg for you to try. I don’t think you wanna share my ear wax on the in ear set through :rofl: :lol: you’ll have to take my word for it on those….

It depends on what your shooting… The 1911 the work pretty well and that’s a LOUD 1911.. I used them in the UP at the cabin for the rock island 12 guage and well I forgot to turn on the noise canceling and it still kept my ears from ringing but it wasn’t as good as earplugs for the shotgun even after I turned on the noise canceling. I also fired an old 45-70 and well even earplugs in that sucker was a loud brute..

They really shine with background noise like running the tractor or splitter that sort of thing. In my case running table saws, router tables, air tools or even trucking. Class 8 trucks aren’t quiet at all….

6. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

Here’s what they look like. I left the AirPods in the car but you get the idea.

274C9873-49CA-4FB5-B589-F06B93B43EF5.jpeg 71A9F8AB-DF6F-4CF7-9AEE-0C2EB8B06E6D.jpeg 3A89637B-D738-436A-89E9-A92A8D80CC36.jpeg F9E536F4-F800-46DE-BA7E-3696324078F3.jpeg

7. Backwoods Savage

I MAY HAVE TO TRY SOMETHING LIKE THAT. Whoops. Must have bumper the caps lock.

8. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

:rofl: :lol: Settle down ole boy! :rofl: :lol:

Chvymn99, Horkn, brenndatomu and 5 others like this.
  9. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

is this neighbor a pita in reality?

10. JD Guy

JD Guy

Really feel bad for both of you and for your cat. Old age will finally catch up with all of us but doesn’t make it any easier..Rest easy Kitty

11. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

:picard:
    I caught fibbing, omg they suck at lying. Nobody is a fan of my sister but mom, and my kid loves her older cousins. Guess she forgot the only reason she got her cell phone was for me to track her with her 1.5 hour school bus rides.......... (only the few numbers that only can I put in, like me, dad, grandma etc.) and 911 can be called or texted, no internet at all.

I saw they went there last night and still there this morning and figured, fun! sleep over with cousins! Instead my mom texts me a picture of her eating green pancakes on a strange couch and house and then a text from kid they are going there today. Duh, I know you spent the night there :loco: :crazy:

12. yooperdave

yooperdave

Only going to get better at "fibbing" from here on......:doh:

13. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

:hair:

I hope not, me and her Dad are NOT like that, but my maternal family is :confused:, hope her upbringing outweighs the influence of her visits.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2023
  14. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Yup, gotta pray that their good character is stronger than any bad company...

15. yooperdave

yooperdave

No offense intended but it seems there is a stage that "they" go through. Boys and/or girls.

16. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Pffft, no offense in any manner :) At this point they seem easy to see, wish me luck when I'm parenting a full teenager!

17. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Not to worry WW; we will talk ya through it!

18. TrinitySouth99

TrinitySouth99

The guy who used to live there was, but he moved out, (recently he died) and rented it to a good guy. Unless he did in fact sell it, but I think this guy is renting. I'd hate to see him have to leave.

19. Sourwood

Sourwood

Just back from an overnight to Nashville to see the Blackhawk Predators game. Seats behind the Blackhawk bench. Great game but Nashville has become expensive to amuse yourself.

tomorrow I am attending a Workshop on prescribed burn technique presented by the Natural Resources.

20. Backwoods Savage

I've told many to remember that if you can't control them when they are growing, what will they be like at 18?!!!