In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What's up today (bullchiting) thread.

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Gasifier, Oct 6, 2013.

1. bogieb

bogieb

OAK = Outside Air Kit.

The intake/exhaust is higher than that for my basement pellet stove, so no worries about that. Helps that I have a 3' eave, so roof dumpage stays a bit away from the house. There was only 1 year that I "had" to clear snow - and really, it was never really close to the stove exhaust, i just felt better taking down the mound so that the exhaust wouldn't "bounce" back toward the house.

Gasifier, Horkn, T.Jeff Veal and 7 others like this.
  2. bogieb

bogieb

In looking at it, it is very interesting as it consists of 4 L-corner cinder blocks, not brick. I don't do heights so wouldn't be me taking it down. They would have to be careful of the solar panels too. The part in the attic would also be challenging because of the way my roof is configured and braced, along with the attic entrance is just big enough for a non-husky person to slide thru (and that is located in a 2'x2' closet.

3. bogieb

bogieb

It is Propane. I don't think electric would need combustion air.

Horkn, NortheastAl, wildwest and 3 others like this.
  4. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

328234299_897261358292944_7003721390755862221_n.jpg

Gasifier, Horkn, T.Jeff Veal and 11 others like this.
  5. yooperdave

yooperdave

6. yooperdave

yooperdave

Yes, I know what OAK means. It's just that I never heard of the intake PVC pipe referred to as an OAK.

No matter how you refer to it, the important thing is that you now have a high efficiency boiler rated over 90% as opposed to your old one that may have been as low as 60-70% efficient! And, with the added feature (requirement) of the new boiler's intake air from outside, your indoor air quality will improve as you are not using indoor air for combustion any longer. Probably see a rise in the indoor humidity level.

Horkn, T.Jeff Veal, bogieb and 7 others like this.
  7. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Install looks good. :thumbs: Hope it serves you every bit as well as the last set up.

Horkn, T.Jeff Veal, bogieb and 7 others like this.
  8. savemoney

savemoney

I may have a different brand, but your set up looks like the one I had installed. I had the copper pipes removed and replaced with pecs. My copper pipes where installed in 1975. Several of them had started to erode and leaking water. PH is neutral. I had to have baseboards installed because the prior system was forced hot air (oil) Retrofitting the whole house was a big project, but well worth it.

Gasifier, Horkn, bogieb and 6 others like this.
  9. savemoney

savemoney

You are smart to do things that way. Wish we all had better habits.

Horkn, bogieb, Cash Larue and 6 others like this.
  10. savemoney

savemoney

Had my chimney removed when the new furnace went in. Had to because of repurposing space.

Horkn, T.Jeff Veal, bogieb and 6 others like this.
  11. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I'm happy for your BB ! I was confused because your previous was obviously burning a gas, but your new one is so small and couldn't figure out how a flame worked in the box, and the exhaust to chimney is gone. No Doubt you enjoyed that shower :)

12. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Father & Daughter relationships are incredibly important and magical, and like so many other wonderful things here I know the daughters have excellent Daddy's :)

But could you please let me know plans you make together? I waited at the bus stop for like 40 minutes on my Birthday in a below zero windchill and truck rocking in high winds before I got ahold of them, he picked her up from school to go shopping and pick up a cake... Today, friends father called me and said he's at school waiting for the girls for his daughter's Birthday slumber party tonight. Okay, I know party and cake tomorrow but not slumber party tonight. So glad he called so I'm not sitting at the bus stop forever again :rofl: :lol: :picard:

13. Chud

Chud

It won’t be as cold here as in the NE tomorrow but the china spy balloon will be flying over and seeing my secret stacks. :binoculars:

NortheastAl, Gasifier, Horkn and 12 others like this.
  14. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Just choot it a little...:whistle: :D

15. yooperdave

yooperdave

I wonder what it has for a payload that it hasn't been shot down as of yet? :sherlock:

Now, every 3rd world USA hating nation knows what to plan for the next time....:picard:

16. Chud

Chud

I read whatever is hanging off the balloon is the size of 2 school buses and the balloon is bigger. I’m hoping once it finishes crossing Fort Bragg and Camp Lejeune and reaches open water they’ll launch a strike.

17. bogieb

bogieb

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be snarky or condescending, Sometimes I just miss the intention/tone of the wording. I didn't realize the outside air was a requirement - I thought it was an option like my pellet stoves. I know so little about these things it is probably scary.

The unit is rated at 95.5% efficiency, so much, much better than that old boiler.

18. bogieb

bogieb

I don't' even pretend to know how they can have a flame in a box on the wall.

But, see the two PVC pipes at the top? one is the exhaust and one is the air intake. This is a high efficiency condescending unit, so even the exhaust is pretty cool.

combi boiler installed.jpg

19. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

5:30 let dogs out
    Baby it’s cold outside; news says -20. Did I take a pic. HE!! No… I am sitting next to wood stove with the puppy

20. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal