In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What's up today (bullchiting) thread.

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Gasifier, Oct 6, 2013.

1. tree killer

tree killer

We need to look for a new one for the wife’s mother. She’s 82. She wants the bottom freezer which I don’t blame her on that. I’ll remember the LG thing! We should be in town today looking.

2. Horkn

Horkn

Yes, LG is the brand of compressor you don't want in a fridge. Had a samsung compressor in a GE fridge last just over 10 yrs, I think it was 11.

3. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

When we bought this place in '98 it came with kitchen appliances...there was matching 1968 Frigidaire stove and fridge...it worked fine until I replaced the fridge with a Whirlpool in 2008, just because it was starting to frost up a lot in the freezer...the new Whirlpool went for 13 months (12 month warranty) before puking a evap fan motor...I bought a replacement motor aftermarket for ~$30 and replaced it myself...it's still going strong.
    I sold the old 1968 fridge for $100 to someone wanting a "retro" fridge, I was only asking $50, but he offered the extra if I delivered it to them...backed right up to the porch and wheeled it right into the house on a dolly, easy peasy...I would not be the least bit surprised if it is still going strong.
    The 1968 stove had a few issues, but still mostly worked...I was surprised to be able to sell it to a antique appliance collector/enthusiast) for $50!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2023
  4. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Another reason for replacing the old '68 Frigidaire was the supposed power savings that were to be had by going to a modern fridge...I used my Kill-A-Watt meter to get a 1 month total on both the old and new fridge, there was very little difference...that's when I started to question some of this "modern things are always way more efficient" stuff.

5. Dok440

Dok440

I had the same experience with LG. It was great until it broke after two years. My repairman said the same thing when he gave me an estimate. I don't think the other box store brands are any better? Maybe easier to service? We bought a GE and a long extended warranty.

6. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Agreed

7. tree killer

tree killer

We have had decent luck with whirlpool stuff. Fridge lasted 20 years, she wanted stainless and something was happening in the temp control fridge was freezing stuff.

8. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

We were given my Grandparents 1964 or 67' fridge (there was a tag on the back with my Grandpas name typed on the serial/model number on the back :) ) Ran like a champ til 2012 when we were evacuated for 2 weeks and they shut off electricity, got home for one day and evacuated that same day for week. The smell of rotten food could not be neutralized, and I tried everything including an ozone generator. It's really unfortunate, had two fridges since then that only made it a few years.

9. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Our current fridge is "Kenmore" but they private brand the same machine with a couple different brands. Afraid I don't trust any brands these days.

10. tree killer

tree killer

Sears when we originally bought our appliances was made by whirlpool. The dude at sears told my wife it might be cheaper to just get whirlpool as it was the same machine with a different name.

11. NortheastAl

NortheastAl

Our Kenmore Elite was really an LG. The replacement is now a Whirlpool with an extended warranty.

12. bogieb

bogieb

Never had a Kenmore appliance that didn't give long life. Tthe only reason I got a Sears card way back when, was to buy appliances (and Craftsman tools/equipment) that last. I had a gas cook stove that my family gave me in 1982/83 to replace a very old apartment stove. It moved across country with us, my SIL used it for a couple of years while we were in apartments looking for a house, and was eventually installed in my previous house. I think it started leaking gas somewhere around 2008 and we replaced it. Could have gotten it fixed probably, but it was beat from all the moving it had done so decided to go new.

When I bought this house in 2013, it came with Kenmore stove and fridge. According to the model number the fridge was made by Amana. According to the serial number, it was made in 2012 (so it was close to new when I bought the house). Since both the stove and fridge are black, I'm assuming they were replaced at the same time.

I've also had good luck with Samsung - bought my washer/dryer set in 2013 and have had zero issues. but, I've never bought one of their fridges either.

13. TrinitySouth99

TrinitySouth99

Well that's not good....

Screenshot_20230115-095129_Chrome.jpg

14. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Weather guy just said this will be the first mostly sunny we've had in 33 days. Time to load up saws and head to the mountain!

15. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

Probably going to sort through the wood pile and separate the mill logs from the oversized pieces. Figured I’d be nice to the neighbors and give them a quiet Sunday with no chainsaws

16. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Wow you have great luck with all your appliances ! I'm not too picky with most appliances but my Samsung front loader is a must for me. Front loader since we haul water, prewash w prewash detergent cup because it's so dirty living out here, and heat for self clean. I complained about the $$ dishwasher I got in 2014, now that it broke I don't see anything comparable. I'm going to try some TSP someday and see that helps.

17. tree killer

tree killer

Only original appliance we have left is the dishwasher. Couldn’t get what we wanted so they upgraded it to a whirlpool gold series at the cost of the one she wanted. She wishes that would die so she can get a stainless to match the others now!

18. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

New dishwasher I went black enamel, I'm in the school of wiping down appliances with the dish cloth and it did not get rid of the water drip marks, too lazy to get the SS polish out again. What do you think of TSP in dishwasher with detergent?

19. tree killer

tree killer

Never tried it, never had a need to. We had it not washing good but turned out it was the detergent packets, changed brands and problem solved.

20. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I'm jealous, 3 kinds tried so far and they all still leave coffee cup line rings and also water line rings inside all our glasses/coffee mugs. I'll see if I can try tomorrow and let you know, that said if you don't have problems I wouldn't worry about it if I were you :) What DW detergent works well for you?