Should be finishing the AS installation this am, and if everything goes right (never know around here), firing it. Book says season stove "through a series of small to moderate fires". That's pretty much all the direction it gives for that process. I know someone has posted before about the size/temp of the first few fires, and I believe it was a step up process (gradual in essence). Anyone have any other guidance? My buddy that's helping bought his Fireview used, and he's a full bore ahead type of guy. So I want to have an idea of where to start (general idea of how much wood in fire [I know highly dependent...I have very dry hardwood], temps I'm looking for...). Do I even worry with closing the bypass and going cat mode in this seasoning process? Or am I having small enough and short duration fires where it's not an issue/not needed?
My stove is a Century steel stove. Basic. For the first and second burn it says the stove temp should be approximately 250 degrees for 20 minutes. The third burn should be about 500 degrees for at least 45 minutes. Hope this helps
A good rule of thumb is 150-200 first fire. Second fire 250. Third 300. Now you are all set. Your friend with the Fireview shoud have done this when he bought used. Also it is a good idea with soapstone to do sort of a break-in fire every fall because of moisture in the stone. I usually get the stove to 200-250 on the first fire in fall but then burn normally after that.