In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What's up today (bullchiting) thread.

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Gasifier, Oct 6, 2013.

1. TrinitySouth99

TrinitySouth99

Well, that's true. But, I think the visit would be worth it. Just as I'd like to get down your way for a visit sometime myself.

2. tree killer

tree killer

I’ve been to Churchill Falls Labrador 4 times. That’s close in the big picture.

3. yooperdave

yooperdave

Dogs are really lighting up the night with there barking tonight, Something spooked them and they won't let it go even when I bring them inside.

I saw some fox tracks when I walked up to the mail today, I wonder if the dogs heard the fox calling out and didn't know what to do about it?

Before the snow came to stay, 99 was with the Bernese outside when a pack of coyotes lit up "very close and loud....I think they were in the driveway" according to her. Both of them came running into the house with wide eyes!!! :rofl: :lol:

4. Gasifier

Gasifier

Well we ended up with about 6” of snow. I guess. First stuff was rain, then changed to very wet, heavy snow, and then lighter snow. Went to work. Then I made it over to eye doctor’s for noon. Good to get that done. New reader glasses should be in about 7-10 days. All testing went good, very slight change in prescription for glasses. Then it was plowing time. The snow had stopped. The Suburban did a nice job, again. Then I shoveled front and back porch, steps, and trail to cellar window for firewood handling. Then through firewood in, and it was time to be done for the day. Tired out by 5:30! That 2nd shingles shot! Glad I won’t need anymore of those! :picard:Time to get caught up on sleep.

5. Chaz

Chaz

6. Horkn

Horkn

We've got the kitchen. I even put in a brushed stainless steel backsplash.

7. bogieb

bogieb

Yesterday they promised 50* to get rid of the snow/ice. Well, that happened on the eastern side of the state, but not where I'm at. The thermometer hit 41* for about 30 minutes at the end of the day. But most of the day it was 32-34*. With the heavy overcast, there was no sun to initiate melting. With no breeze, the snow/ice kept the air above it cold enough the only melting was from my roof. Had to keep shoveling the ice/slush off the ramp since the roof dripage was freezing as soon as it hit.

But on the bright side, I still haven't lit the pilot light for the boiler since the garage hasn't gotten down to the low 30's yet. Normally I have to light the pilot light anywhere from late November to some time in December so I can cycle hot waster thru the FHW pipes that run thru the garage a couple times a day to ensure they don't freeze up.

8. TrinitySouth99

TrinitySouth99

In one way, it is, so close, but yet so far. I've never been to Labrador and don't forsee it happening anytime soon. But I'd like to.

9. TrinitySouth99

TrinitySouth99

Looks like central and western NFLD are getting some more concerning weather this weekend. I hope 5hry make out OK..

10. Gasifier

Gasifier

Caffeine! Workhouse today, as another guy from here use to call it. Who was that? And where has he been?

11. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

If it was just a kitchen in same foot print it would be done.. kitchen is 10x10 BUT it has grown to a main floor remodel; kitchen to 20x20 than an additio
    Moving structure plumbing heating electrical etc etc!
    If I had enough cash (I don’t) it hasn’t been possible due to lack of materials..
    where I live you DO NOT open a houses heated envelope; unless it can be closed by Halloween

12. Horkn

Horkn

Oh yeah, I get it Lyle.:handshake:

Thing is, when we were looking at houses, I was all over the two that had more than 2 car garages. Not that I didn't like this one, but the only 2 car garage was a negative on my list. There was easily enough land to build a bigger detached garage though, so I caved. That was 15 yrs ago and now my truck barely fits in the garage, with no room behind or in front of it for motorcycles, snowblowers like there was with any of my other vehicles. I pay to store my boat indoors (minimal), and have never had room for my garden tractor AND the 4ft mega snow blower I have for it that would make my snow clearing experience infinitely better than using my walk behind Ariens. We're at that point that we're going to do this much sooner than later now. :salute:

13. Horkn

Horkn

So regarding the " ban" on gas stoves and appliances n the US that was being mulled by people less intelligent than we thought they were, apparently they've already walked back the "ban" aspect.

14. savemoney

savemoney

Very very nice! I bet you love it already. Do you intend to replace that lawn
    in front of it with gravel?

15. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Some people continue to eat the meal. Typical fear mongering.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2023
  16. savemoney

savemoney

Not cheap to buy, but are cheap in quality. Like kitchen appliances. My son bought a refrigerator for just over a grand. Lasted two years. The cost of the fix wasn't worth it so he went to a local dealer and bought one with a long service contract. The older refrigerators used to last 20 yrs.

17. tree killer

tree killer

Yup we just had to replace a microwave over the stove deal, bought one when we built in 2000, replaced in 2017 and again this past summer. Seems their lifespan gets shorter!

18. lukem

lukem

Got power out to the barn. It's only 30A of 240VAC but that should be fine for now. Time to get to wiring

19. Horkn

Horkn

Older refrigerators would last a lot longer than 20 years. They are designed to last 10 years now. Especially the compressors. The only way you'll get a fridge that's worth repairing is if it has a warranty, or you buy a Sub Zero.

20. NortheastAl

NortheastAl

Don’t buy an LG refrigerator with the 10 year factory warranty on their Linear Compressor. It’ll cost more in labor to replace it than the fridge is worth. And that’s if you can find anyone that’ll work on them. Ask me how I know?