Wish I could get out in the woods right now - not happening with the snakes. Took my quad up the trail and noted a couple of trees for the hit list... also noted a Timber rattler coiled up next to a rotten pine log. Have to wait till November, more pleasant than processing wood in 90+ w/humidity
What temperature does it need to be to avoid run ins with rattle snakes? I can't stand snakes except for the garden snake.
That stuff is pretty yellow almost looks like locust in the heart wood but I'd guess you are right looking at the bark......pi$$ elm
I don't blame ya for not wanting to with those temps......throw in the snakes....I would be doing something else.
I guess once we've had a few mid 30 nights they are starting to den up somewhere. I see a lot of snakes in May-early June, then start to see them again during September-mid October. Most of October is a scratch for wood processing as I'm tied up on turbine maintenance outages. Then I will add that I was pulling a buck up out of the draw a couple years ago and encountered a garden snake in the leaves - that was November 30th but was a mild fall most of the leaves were still hanging on.
The dead barkless stuff could be a 100 different woods. I cut some spruce yesterday that looked really close to your elm. Nice looking straight wood Great pics (as we've become accustomed expect )
It's not a White Pine or Hemlock, I still have some Yellow Birch down in that area so when I get that I'll get a picture of the bark. This tree was in an area we made a small trail for the Rhino, just beyond this tree is a hung up Hemlock that we'll go at this week, once that is down we can use it again. This is the area that the snowmobile trail runs through our property, it needs a good 8 hours of work which will get done before the end of September so everything is safe and it looks better.
After I took a lunch break, I was on the computer checking chit out for about an hour, the wife said are you going to do more work in the woods so without getting into a bunch of work I did this. I'm happy with the wood inventory this year, it should be close to 25 cord, not face. I could get another three cord but the trail clearing must be done, two old trails that need cleaning up (dead chit down) and the one above the Brook which has some ice damaged trees, a small Beech and a Yellow Birch.
The last Elm I had like this went to my neighbor, he loved it. Some of the dead rotten trees near the trail that I've ignored have come down lately so I'll get them before they get to bad.