In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

WFO - A few deep-dish pizzas for the labor day weekend.

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by fishingpol, Aug 31, 2014.

  1. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    Fired it up using oak, and black locust. The locust needed some coals to take off. I had the oven cranking with heavy rolling flames. These pizzas take about an hour to cook.
    IMG_8523.JPG

    I don't have many firing pictures as the toppings took a while to prep. I liked the steak and cheese calzones from a few weeks ago. I tried again this time in a deep-dish but made it a steak bomb.


    Cooking the shaved steak, peppers, onions, salami, cheese and seasonings on the flat pan ready to load it in the crust. Adding the cheese while it was cooking guaranteed better cheese coverage.

    IMG_8530.JPG

    The dough rose almost to well. It was ready well ahead of the toppings and the oven being ready.

    IMG_8529.JPG

    The second one was a deep-dish bratwurst, onion and cheese.

    IMG_8531.JPG

    Steak bomb. Both fit in the oven just fine.
    IMG_8532.JPG

    I did not use mozzarella cheese, so it was not too stringy. Both were really good.

    IMG_8535.JPG
     
    basod, mdavlee, campinspecter and 6 others like this.
  2. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    Always a treat to see your WFO pics fish. Looking good!
     
    fishingpol likes this.
  3. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    The hour looks well worth it! :drool:
     
  4. Woodwidow

    Woodwidow

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    15,531
    Likes Received:
    95,611
    Location:
    Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    Of course I find this thread and the great pictures when it is time to go to bed. Looks really good. Did you line the pans with the dough or just pushed the topping into the dough in the pan? the picture of the fire rolling away in there is pretty neat.
     
    campinspecter likes this.
  5. campinspecter

    campinspecter

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,684
    Likes Received:
    12,236
    Being unofficially known as 'Foodinspecter " so officially that looks really really good good!:drool:
     
  6. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    I pushed the dough up the sides. That batch of dough rose almost too good.

    The flames were rolling out the door on that firing. It was quite a firing. I split the wood into smaller pieces which probably did it.
     
    Woodwidow and campinspecter like this.