In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Today's Ash Score

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by firecracker_77, Aug 30, 2014.

  1. firecracker_77

    firecracker_77

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,481
    Likes Received:
    3,606
    Location:
    IL
    Took down two 30 foot ash trees that got killed off. I think I got about 1-1.25 cord of wood today. Lots of branches that had to be chipped up with these trees. I took the whole load of chips and all to help him out. I don't need that many chips but it worked out. Had a chance to use the wedges a couple of times to free the saw. 16" bar on the 441 may have been a little small for part of the work, but oh well. I still like short bars for weight savings. My buddy had his tractor and tree service equipment which is really helpful. I didn't have nearly the workout with the tractor doing the heavy lifting. :thumbs:

    DSC00372.JPG
    DSC00374.JPG
     
  2. Chvymn99

    Chvymn99 Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    21,479
    Likes Received:
    113,742
    Location:
    KC Metro
    Looks like you got a nice work out...That ash will make some nice fires.:thumbs:
     
  3. firecracker_77

    firecracker_77

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,481
    Likes Received:
    3,606
    Location:
    IL
    LOL! I worked my ash off today, but I want 5 cords for winter. The ash is standing dead, so it should be ready by February if I split it right away. Not 15% maybe, but closer to 20%, which will work in a pinch.
     
    Backwoods Savage, Stinny and Chvymn99 like this.
  4. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    Ash is perfect for "gotta have" firewood the same year, compared to most other hardwoods. Nuts how fast it'll dry, in the right conditions if split. And it burns pretty long too.
     
    firecracker_77 likes this.
  5. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,155
    Location:
    Central MI
    How well did that work blowing the chips right in with the wood?
     
    Stinny and papadave like this.
  6. Greg

    Greg

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2014
    Messages:
    1,589
    Likes Received:
    15,452
    Location:
    Central PA
    Ashwood wet and Ashwood dry
    A King shall warm his slippers by.

    I like ash, splits clean, burns well. Lost many putting in my house foundation. If there is the slightest change to soil surface near an ash tree, they seem to die quickly. I had some 30 yards from our driveway that I kept all earth moving away from and they still died. Even had them tested for emerald ash borers, but none found anywhere.
     
  7. firecracker_77

    firecracker_77

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,481
    Likes Received:
    3,606
    Location:
    IL
    It's ok. I had a ton of wood chips and we dumped them at my wood mounds (not really stacks). I used a rake to spread the chips around and then pulled the rounds / logs out of the general heap. It was one of those deals...my buddy wanted me to take the chips, time was of the essence, and we had to get the tree tops and branches chipped up since we were pulling the trees out of others' yards. My buddy got paid a little for one...did the other tree as a favor for a widow. I took home the wood for my efforts. Dead ash is a lot of work with all those branches for how much firewood you end up with.
     
    Backwoods Savage and Gark like this.
  8. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,155
    Location:
    Central MI
    For sure the ash that is not inside the woods there can be lots and lots of limbing to do. Good wood though.

    I was wondering about how it would work and glad it worked out for you. Good on you too for helping out the widow. I read somewhere that we should all help the widows. It came from a higher authority.
     
    firecracker_77, Stinny and milleo like this.