In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Diesel truck discussion

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by TurboDiesel, Jan 13, 2019.

1. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

Why do think that? They now have that engine in just about everything with a frame under it. Tahoe, 'burban, pickups - heck I can't wait to see it show up in Express Vans. :rofl: :lol: (Wonder if it even fits?)

Lady in my neighborhood has a white suburban with one, the soccer mom-mobile has never sounded so good! (Yes, the 3.0L sounds glorious!)

With applications expanding, orders backlogged, and upgrades to HP/TQ for 2023 - doesn't sound like an engine on its last legs. Unlike the EcoDiesel and the short-lived 3.0L PowerStroke. Heck, even the 2.8L Duramax soldiered on for years (quietly!) in the Colorado/Canyon.

PS - I swear I'm not trying to pick on ya Horkn! :handshake:

Horkn, JB Sawman and Deererainman like this.
  2. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Brother has 7.8 gasser f350 dually; will tow 42k with goose neck.. why diesel which new requires DEF plus more upfront and need’s diesel mechanic?

Horkn and morningwood like this.
  3. corncob

corncob

Honestly, I don't know but it's much faster than the stock Garret because it comes up on boost pretty quick, yes I have a pyrometer and a boost gage. On a hard pull it will pressurize to 30 psi.

Interestingly, both my Kubota's are turbo charged as well but I never hear them, Must be the big mufflers kill the sound. The Banks stuff is not cheap but like anything, you get what you pay for.

I have his Trans Command on my E4OD as well and a B&M cast aluminum deep sump pan as well

Deererainman likes this.
  4. fuelrod

fuelrod

That's the weak link. (E4OD)
    Ford put a new one in every July for 3 years under warranty, then I removed the GN hitch and only towed a little single axle trailer....very carefully and rarely. Oh, and bought my F450 with a manual transmission.
    Actually that was my 2001, not sure if it was the E4OD but my 97 a/t was about the same. This was with gauges for monitoring, Amzoil and auxiliary cooling.

5. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

They certainly weren't the best in stock form...the aftermarket builders can make them hold up pretty well though, even behind modded 'strokes

6. Warner

Warner

E4ohno!

Eggshooterist and fuelrod like this.
  7. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

Back in the day, if you were towing serious weight, you took the truck straight down to the local transmission guru to get the Grandma tuned out of it so it would last. The first excuse it gave to come out of the truck, it got rebuilt with aftermarket goodies and went right back into service.

Ford offered a good manual behind the later F250/F350 7.3PSD, six speed inc. a low first gear IIRC. Popular with hotshots, as they were mostly OTR. But for my (farm) use, much preferred an auto for all the tight maneuvering. Which is probably why we had/put up with:picard:(This was the rust capital (Northeast) after all.) mostly GM trucks. The TH400, 4L80, and later the Allison were the best auto transmissions out of the box, and even modified, be it for work or for fun. Didn't hurt that they had 454's, 8.1L's, and Duramaxes in front of them and corporate 14-bolts, Dana 70's/80's out back either.

Horkn, Eggshooterist and brenndatomu like this.
  8. fuelrod

fuelrod

The 97 that I sold to a friend put in a $6000 bullet proof in the line of about 6 transmissions. The heaviest towing he does is a decent sized Vermeer disc chipper and the motor was stock.
    It's funny how Ford somehow fixed their transmission all of a sudden with the 6 liter.:headbang:
    How I would have loved to have the 10sp back then. It would have made the pretty "modest" 7.3 a great runner!

Horkn and brenndatomu like this.
  9. Warner

Warner

To be fair the 5r110 had a rough start with the snapring wearing a hole in the case.

Then when the 10 speed was introduced most customers didn’t understand and complained it shifted to much:doh:

you can’t win them all.

10. chris

chris

97throug atleast 99 maybe a bit further auto trany slash lube for rear main bearing on tranny , The bearing would grind its way out the backend of the tranny typically by about 125000 miles. don't knowif they ever corrected that. Wasn't anyway to correct the problem as stated by my custom tranny guys I use. they built race trannies for everything.

Horkn and Eggshooterist like this.
  11. In the Pines

In the Pines

the c6 is not a bad transmission. I think it's comparable to the th400.
    it's solid at least not great but not exactly weak. I wish it had a converter lockup in it but anyway..
    The zf5 is a solid transmission as well. worst issue with that is the synchros wearing. I bring up the c6 and zf because both were available with the e4od back in the day.
    I left the aod out because it was not for 3/4 tons and up.

12. Horkn

Horkn

Back to diesels being simple, they were. Initially. They were one of the last to get EPA'd to death. But when they did. Hold on. All that emissions crap to break.

Now this. The GM is the last one in half tons. Either they didn't make sense in general, or costs didn't make sense. Or maybe emissions cheating EPA hell? Maybe GM is putting them in everything while they can before the EPA squeezes the squeeze fire engines some more?

TurboDiesel likes this.
  13. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

C4/C6 were good trans...but many of the other 3 speed autos were too...each brand had at least a good model or two....but I personally didn't like any of them...as far as how they put the power to the ground...very "slushy"

In the Pines and Horkn like this.
  14. In the Pines

In the Pines

I know my truck has the c6, it's does the job and all but I have a zf5 ready to go in whenever I get around to it.
    I think some of the slush comes from the vacuum modulator, trucks use a different one from autos.
    When I bought mine I thought 2nd was gone from the trans. I could not tell at all, it wasn't until I put a real load on it did I actually feel 2nd kick in.
    I'm told this is normal. It's weird going from 1st, quick 2nd, right into 3rd.

15. James Miller

James Miller

My 2000 f350 finally killed the stock 4r100 at 196k. Seems you either got a good one or a bad one from the factory.
    New trans has a billet converter, GPZ clutches, and full trans go valve body and pump mods. Replaced the worthless factory trans cooler with a 26 row 6.0 cooler. My truck has simple mods. 6637 filter, 4" straight pipe turbo back, and Garret 38r turbo with either a 40hp tow tune or 100hp for every day driving. Hope the new trans lasts as long as the first one.

Hinerman, Stephiedoll, Horkn and 2 others like this.
  16. Haftacut

Haftacut

Are you sure it’s only 50%:rofl: :lol:

Stephiedoll and Horkn like this.
  17. corncob

corncob

Actually, my E4OD was professionally rebuilt by Fords SVO in Dearborn not long after I bought the truck in 97. It has all heavy duty clutches and actuators in it and it's never been an issue (gets the fluid changed every 2 years with the filter and the torque convertor drained.

Don't use Amzoil, snake oil. Just Dexron Mercon and a Motorcraft Filter. The 1-2 shift under full throttle is tight enough to light up the tires btw, not that I do it, but it will and it's limited slip.

I'd never have a Ford truck with a manual. Their hydraulic slave clutch sucks big time.

James Miller likes this.
  18. chris

chris

Buddy had that go out on his 2003 F250 7.3 turbo, a tad pricey to repair. Turbo went out on it also, got a kit for $10 fixed in my shop. worst part was getting that lastbolt/nut off one those how in xyz did they get in there in the first place things.

19. corncob

corncob

Curved Snap On metric box wrench. No issue at all (other than laying on the engine to reach it....lol

Horkn likes this.
  20. Horkn

Horkn

You forgot about renting the weasel to be able to turn the wrench.

Haftacut likes this.