In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Diesel truck discussion

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by TurboDiesel, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

I would say you and your priest are a couple of weirdos.

2. corncob

corncob

Maybe, maybe not but the important aspect is, my diesel 1 ton pickup is paid for a long time ago. I don't desire to own a new one and have to pay a crazy price for it.

3. In the Pines

In the Pines

I looked for a diesel before I bought my 86, I really don't have any regrets not finding one now.
    The PO used it also to haul hay - I have no idea how much but I could see them with flatbed being loaded on and pulling a trailer.
    Pulling I'm not concerned about, I feel it probably wouldn't have much issue pulling anything it could connect to.
    It's the stopping that isn't going to be happening in a hurry. :eek:
    mpg isn't great but most ppl I see relating their towing mpg isn't any better and gas appears will be forever cheaper than diesel from here on.

4. Horkn

Horkn

Just checking if anyone was reading the entire post.:rofl: :lol:

5. Horkn

Horkn

Never had a priest, it was in jest.;)

6. Horkn

Horkn

Gas pretty much had been less expensive here, since I can recall. It wasn't the huge price hike to diesel now though. Just looking, regular 87 octane is $3/gallon or less around here, while the same station has diesel for 1.75 more a gallon than 87 gas. $4.75/gallon for diesel?? What made diesel make so much sense, was that you could get so many more mpg or tow more using less of it. Emissions and DEF killed all of that simple goodness.

7. Deererainman

Deererainman

I have a 95 F350 that I've owned for several years. 244k miles. 7.3 5sp 3.55 gears. Knocks down 23-24mpg. Its not my daily driver, a Hyundai elantra is. After driving the Hyundai all week to work, it's a pleasure to get the truck out on the weekends. I could just sit back and listen to it run and be very satisfied with burning some diesel. IMG_0016.JPG

8. corncob

corncob

Mine is a 97, 7.3 and it looks just like yours except zero rust and the OBS Ford's are in great demand today. She never leaves the garage in the winter.

JB Sawman, Deererainman and Horkn like this.
  9. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

IIRC, the price "flip" happened when they forced low sulphur diesel...2010 maybe? It may have flip flopped back and forth a little before that, but since then diesel has always been more, from what I've seen...

10. Deererainman

Deererainman

A nice rust free OBS? Awesome... I've been collecting body parts for a year or so. ie: fenders and bedsides. My plan is to do a total restoration when I retire in the next 5 years. Not sure yet about the engine, I'll either rebuild the 7.3 or swap in a Cummins.

11. corncob

corncob

I have a full Gale Banks kit on mine including his 'quick spool' turbo housing and 4" exhaust and before I retired the Western Star dealership I worked at, had a dyno and I put my 97 on ot and it was making 325 horses at the rear wheels. Plenty enough for my needs. Nice thing about the Banks kit is, it makes the power without 'rolling coal'.

I am not fond of Cummins engines, never have been actually. Especially the new common rail engines.

JB Sawman, Deererainman and Horkn like this.
  12. corncob

corncob

In reality, that is all political garbage and big trucks are all diesel and the cost of the fuel is passed on to the consumer and is a major driving factor in inflation. The consumer always gets dinged, no matter what because they are at the bottom of the barrel.

13. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Agreed...big government, EPA, and maybe Horkn s priest (;)) all need castrated.

14. In the Pines

In the Pines

exactly -diesel is a bigger spread here. regular is 2.88 (3.58 premium) and 5.79 for diesel at local truck stop if we can believe gasbuddy.
    Diesel use to be cheaper than regular here but that was before they mandated low sulfur.
    When it became more expensive than premium I decided a gasser will do anything I need of it and more economical, even with a new rebuild.

brenndatomu and Horkn like this.
  15. fuelrod

fuelrod

I had a 94 and a 97 f350's both 4 door 8' bed 4x4 7.3's. To me that's the last of the classic pickup styling.
    I treat my 99 f450 72k miles that way. No winter use.

JB Sawman, brenndatomu and Horkn like this.
  16. Deererainman

Deererainman

What rpm does the Quick spool turbo spool up? 1800 rpm??

brenndatomu and Horkn like this.
  17. chris

chris

ran my ford 85 6.9 until there wasn't anything left of the body and the frame Some 400000 miles. engine tranny and rest of drive still good just wasn't anything left to keep in one piece. replaced with a 99 v10 only problem i had was the exhaust header bolts ( major pia replacing those) Never had an issue with blowing a plug but changing them out the first time was a nigthmare( but the so were they on 5.4 ) very careful not to over tighten them as that is where the blowing issue came from - mindless tools over torquing them. it did everything y 6.9 did. 6.9 was better on fuel. but not apples to apples of course. I opted for the v10 because at the time diesel was over $4/ gal vs little over half that for gas sent it down the road due to red death about 4 years ago. I also have 2003 6.0 nightmare. last of my truck fleet. i keep it because now days it is more reliable than the 6.4/6.7 ( in either of these if the high pressure flue pump implodes its 11-15 grand to repair properly) Never been a Dodge/ Chrylser or GMC fan although I have had a few for very short durations. all these were 1 ton units single rears. To many issues to list.

Horkn, fuelrod, Mag Craft and 2 others like this.
  18. lukem

lukem

My BIL had his 6.7's pump come apart and take the entire fuel system with it. $12K.

Horkn, fuelrod and brenndatomu like this.
  19. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

I ran a '99 V10 for a few years (not mine). Glad I wasn't paying for the gas, and yes, it fired a few plugs out, but the guys maintaining it were being paid to do so as quickly and inexpensively as possible.

Towing loaded for probably 75%+ of it's life. Mileage was single digits. Truck didn't have enough options for anything to go wrong. LOL '99 F350, 4x4, Auto, SRW, Reg Cab, 8ft Bed.

A few years later, it was joined in the fleet by an '03 Chevy, 2500HD, 6.0L and a 4L80e. Was just as strong, especially up the hills, and much, MUCH nicer to drive. Also a low-trim truck. Bad driver killed the 4L80e after a couple years though. I'd bet the later V10's would keep up just fine however since they picked up a few ponies. And a few more threads around the plugs. :rofl: :lol:

20. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

I disagree - not about diesels being brilliant. They are, but they were never simpler than gas engines. Pre-heating systems can and did fail. It took turbocharging to even get them on the playing field for power and drivability in a pickup. And no diesel fuel system I have ever seen looks simple next to multi-port EFI, especially if equipped with solid state, coil-on or coil-near plug ignition. Not even a good old mechanical diesel injection system.

You put a GM big-block V8 (7.4/8.1), or the V10's up against the diesels of their day - and you had the same argument as today. The gassers are cheaper, repairs are relatively cheap and infrequent, and they are thirsty under full-load. The diesels would last longer, especially if worked hard, but you had specialized techs that worked on them at a premium rate, and expensive parts. At least the old diesels had a measurable advantage in MPG. But more often than not, repairs over the full life of a diesel from the "golden age" would run you as much or more than a replacement gas engine. Both would often outlast the chassis they were installed in.

So much came down to operator comfort too. Nobody wanted to listen to a gas engine pulling at full-load, 4,000+ RPM, at least not long term, when a diesel would do the same work at 2,000.

Horkn, JB Sawman and brenndatomu like this.