In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Diesel truck discussion

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by TurboDiesel, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

95% of diesel pickup ownership doesnt make sense these days.

Eggshooterist, fuelrod, Ron T and 3 others like this.
  2. corncob

corncob

It does for me because I regularly deliver round bales on my gooseneck and there is no way a gas motor will pull my loaded with 20,000 pounds of round bales. I'm still careful about when I use it because the cost of diesel is soo high. it's $5.89 here presently.

Haftacut likes this.
  3. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I've pulled loaded 4 car haulers from northern Texas to Ohio using big block v8/v10 gas powered pickups...it is certainly not flat, and while maybe not in danger of getting a speeding ticket on the up hills, they will most certainly do it!
    And yes, we were overweight. :emb:

4. corncob

corncob

The V10 Ford motor has issues. They like to blow the spark plugs out of the heads. No hills here except the freeway off ramps. Bet you got terrible fuel mileage as well.

TurboDiesel likes this.
  5. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

That was like 22-23 years ago man...and not that common on the V10...more on the V8s.
    My dad has/had a whole fleet of V10's...the only one ever opened up was overheated by a numbskull employee...and the one V10 truck that they still have has over 450k miles on the engine and auto trans...never open! This on a F450.
    Even more to my point...you don't NEED a diesel...a gas engine WILL pull your round bales just fine.
    Not the best, no...but then a diesel on that same trip didn't get great mileage either.
    I'm not trying to say that a turbo diesel is not superior for towing, they are...but I am pointing out that you do not NEED a diesel to move your round bale trailer...at 430HP/475 TQ, the current 7.3 gas Ford has way more horsepower, and even a little more torque than a stock '97 7.3 PS did.
    The '97 460 was only 30 HP less than the PS, and the same 450 torque rating.

6. fuelrod

fuelrod

My needs have changed, still have a 7.3 F 450, but I'll guarantee you that the large percentage of these mega power diesel pickup owners have never "penciled it out" in terms of making sense financially.
    I've heard from a close friend running a 2021ish f450 pickup that an oil change is over $200 with the myriad of fuel filters these days. That along with a buck or 2 per gallon extra for fuel and not even touching the diesel option money......
    I used to change my oil (myself) in the evening after work @ 3000 miles that usually meant monthly. That would hurt today.
    Not saying that they don't have their purpose or there's nobody out there that can justify it but I agree that most of them are just an ego thing.
    Remember a few years ago when all the UPS trucks turned into gas trucks? I know it's not going to haul a 30k g/n trailer several times a week, but neither will about 80%+ of them running around to the office and recycling and soccer game with the kids. :whistle:

7. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Amen

Haftacut, TurboDiesel, Horkn and 3 others like this.
  8. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

I have a V-10 and a diesel. Yes, I agree you can get by with the gas engine, but it will never perform as well as a diesel when it comes to outright pulling ability. But the diesel is more expensive to maintain. So, for me they both have their place. When I go to the mountains and get my firewood, I can tell you I use my diesel.

TurboDiesel, Horkn, Ron T and 3 others like this.
  9. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

I have several customers that have prom queen diesel pickups the one has carpet in the bed the only thing it carries are groceries ,but I have several that use theirs as they were intended pulling trailers daily I have both a 454 chev and a old 6.2 both do the job neither are the first up the hill but they get there and I have pulled many heavy loads of logs on my deckover there is a place for the diesel pulling power but unfortunately the people driving the luxury diesel pickups have pushed them out of the price range of most people who would really use them ( You know the type 5ft tall, big belt buckle,small P@#$#@ disease, have to have a big crew cab truck with a short bed ) :rofl: :lol: JB

10. Warner

Warner

I was wondering how long it was going to take for penis size to be discussed. Lol

I was just swapped from an beat 6.4 f350 to a less beat 6.2 f350. Always towing 5k lbs with 2k lbs in the bed. Both get the job done but the diesel was a much better tow rig. I don’t pay fuel or maintenance cost so there is that.

JB Sawman, eatonpcat, Horkn and 2 others like this.
  11. lukem

lukem

If that isn't enough slap on a 3L Whipple or Procharger and you can really make some steam and still be money ahead on a diesel...and it will make ALL the right noises.

12. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

the one thing I hate about my truck is the 6' bed. But I wanted / needed the mega cab, so it is what it is. Quickly realized that I actually need a flatbed for my deliveries and lumber pickups, so my next truck will likely be a 3500 dually cab and chassis....with a Hemi. I will just have to store less tools / crap behind the seat.

13. rdust

rdust

Diesel guy here till I die or it’s no longer available. 2 old diesel Jettas and an old duramax. My duramax has nowhere near the power of the modern diesels but is emissions free and tows my 5th wheel, toys and wood hauler wherever I need. And diesels are just cooler. :rofl: :lol:

14. fuelrod

fuelrod

Well there's always used French fry oil. :thumbs:

JB Sawman, TurboDiesel, Horkn and 3 others like this.
  15. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Corncob is pulling his round bales a few miles on flat ground...hardly justifies a diesel...like I said, I was just pointing that out since he said he had to have a diesel since a gasser would not do the job...now if he just wants one, fine, whatever blows your skirt up, but don't say a gasser "can't"...heck, look at the semi's of years ago...they'd have killed for the power that a late 90's gas big block pickup had! And that is towing 80k cross country!

16. Warner

Warner

Some peoples way is the only way…

JB Sawman, eatonpcat, Horkn and 3 others like this.
  17. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

I hate those short beds. To me they are the most worthless idea to come along on a pickup.

18. Horkn

Horkn

They smell gooder that way.

19. Horkn

Horkn

We all know why the short bed crew cabs became available. It's so they can fit in more people's garages. That's a good thing. Now to on a heavy duty truck, and not a half ton , I fully agree anything less than a 6.5' bed is stupid on a 3/4 ton and up truck. If I'm buying a 1 ton truck, there's no way it will not have an 8 ft bed. The last 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks we had were 8 ft beds. I abused the hell out of them and used the pipe racks on both to take 1 cord loads regularly.

Disclaimer: I have a 5.5 ft bed on my loaded f150. I can tow 10k with it, but will probably only do that a few times. It's more really a 5-6k towing for typical use until I get a bigger trailer. I also am 6'4" and my priest said I have a big penis :rofl: :lol:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
    Haftacut, Ron T, JB Sawman and 4 others like this.
  20. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

o_O :eek: :startled: :faint: