In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Englander 25-PDVC/55 pellet feed issues

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by edhackem, Dec 1, 2022.

1. edhackem

edhackem

mfg date of 08/03 the upper feed auger is locking up and won't turn. if you take the motor and move it up and down and loosen it, it works for a few minutes and locks up again. I removed the upper auger and gave it a good cleaning but it didn't help. I did a reset on the board just last week. mode D 5-4-1. the auger motors I have never changed I've owned this since 2013. any suggestions what to try next?

I tried to do a control board reset again. couldn't get it to show f5 was able to get it into mode "d" when I went to change the 3 bottom buttons the 6 & 4 went in ok, but the 3rd button "air on temp" did nothing. When you push it it doesn't respond. I replaced the control board on this stove shortly after buying it in 2013--maybe it's time for a new one?

the upper feed auger appears to be working as it should, but after a few revolutions it seems to lock up like the pellets are not moving as they should. I'm going to pull both augers and see what gives--any other suggestions?

2. badbob

badbob

I am no wiz with these stoves, but, the auger bearings auger greaseable. But may be bad, anyway, might bind when under the load of pellets. About only way to tell is having it in your hands, push,pull, tilt the auger while spinning the bearing.
    Also, some England stoves need the auger aligned when reinserted, so it does not rub when under load, there are instructions somewhere on net.
    BUT, is probably a weak motor. UNLESS you have a vacuum switch problem that is intermitten. So you need to check motor is getting voltage when it is supposed to be running. You can swap motors for a test, they should be the same.
    Also, most people replace both motors as a pair.
    Don't know about your control board, have not kept up on them, perhaps Don will help.

PelletHound likes this.
  3. edhackem

edhackem

thx for the reply--pulled both augers and looks like the bottom motor is bad. replacements on the way might as well do both.

PelletHound likes this.
  4. edhackem

edhackem

would that be Don Russell? I bought a control board from him in 2013.

5. badbob

badbob

6. edhackem

edhackem

good to know he's on here--was very helpful to me when I first got this stove back in 2013.

7. badbob

badbob

8. imacman

imacman

jtakeman likes this.
  9. corncob

corncob

Could be a failed Variac and you can oil the sleeve bearings in the motor. Variac's are easy to replace but you need to test each one with a multimeter.