In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Sediment filter recommendations?

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by Easy Livin' 3000, Nov 30, 2022.

1. Easy Livin' 3000

Easy Livin' 3000

Need to install a sediment filter on my well system. The small black grit clogs up the faucet aerators, the screens in my garden hose, and is affecting the washing machine. There's not a lot of sentiment, but over time, it does collect, with negative affect.

I'd prefer to avoid a filter that requires buying and changing disposable filters, instead preferring what's known as a spin down filter. These have a fine screen that collects the sediment, and relies on backwashing the screen out through a built-in valve.

Some of these spin down filters are small and fully manual. Others are fully automated with an internal scraper to knock the sediment off the screen, so you don't need to shut the whole system down, to remove the screen and manually clean it in the sink, with a toothbrush.

When I called the well company that services my well, they recommended a couple of American Plumber models that have disposable filter cartridges. He said that iron in the water has been known to cause problems with the spin down models. I'm willing to take the chance that a spin down model with an internal scraper will minimize the requirement to remove the stainless steel screen to clean it.

Any tips on brand and model would be appreciated! Or, if you have high iron content water, and have any experience with the various filter types, please share

2. DNH

DNH

This
    With

is what you want, I would use a 5 micron polypropylene filter, you could probably get away with a 10-20 micron! Could not even start to guess how many gallons it is good for but lasted minimum of 3-6 months for family of 6. I never clogged one just choose to change them as precaution. Paper cartridges are junk. We had to much iron, clay and sulfur to use a wire filter.

Easy Livin' 3000 likes this.
  3. Easy Livin' 3000

Easy Livin' 3000

Thanks DNH!

I'm only going with a filter that requires changing disposable cartridges after I try out the wire mesh that comes with a scraper and backwash features. My parents lived nearby (well, same water table, same sediment issue), and they had a filter that needed replaced. I have had enough of changing these filters to last me a lifetime, unless I have no other choice.

You are probably right, as it is exactly what the well folks told me when I called them for advice, but I'm stubborn and need to see things for myself. Its a ri$k to try it out, but only about as much as 3 or 4 filter cartridges would cost.

4. Biddleman

Biddleman

We use a similar cartridge holder that DNH posted but use the cartridges that look like wrapped string. Im not sure how much sediment is in our water, but a filter is needed. Those filters last usually 4 months, unless we have a really heavy, heavy rain. Then I need to replace it. We get red clay like sediment. Im always looking for a better filtration system.

5. Skier76

Skier76

Just changed ours after 3-4 months. I use the pleated version; can get the specs if needed. Pic below.

Had a well guy at the house a few years ago checking the pressure tank. He asked about the filter and how it looks. I told him about the color; orangeish. He said that’s a sign it’s filtering out the iron.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Easy Livin' 3000

Easy Livin' 3000

My experience has been with the wrapped string filter cartridges. They were always black when I switched them them for the clean one. Now that I see what iron in the water looks like, I'm more optimistic that iron isn't my primary issue. Thanks for the pic, helpful!

Skier76 likes this.
  7. Skier76

Skier76

Most welcome!

8. golf66

golf66

I'm late to the party here but have some info. I got the well water tested and it came back with low PH and high sediment content. This was probably overkill, however, I installed a treatment system that flows like this:

Pressure tank } 50 micron spin down filter } Express Water 4.5" x 20" three stage filter system that goes 20 micron to 5 micron to 1 micron } acid neutralizer tank }50 micron spin down filter to catch any media that escapes from the neutralizer.

The step-down in filter media size is doing an incredible job of removing grit and sediment while maintaining good water pressure. The 20 micron cartridge gets replaced quarterly, the 5 micron twice per year and the 1 micron once per year. PH has been brought back into normal levels which is a relief....we were getting a lot of pinhole leaks in copper piping and that strange aqua-green corrosion around pipe fittings etc. This is a bit off topic, however, acidic water can really do a number on your piping, washing machine, dishwasher etc.

Chaz likes this.
  9. billb3

billb3

We have 10 micron rope filter here for "iron rich" water. I've had stinky iron bacteria in the water heater in the past, too.
    10 micron doesn't get it all and the water pressure will start dropping if the filters aren't changed at least three times a year.
    I know when the hose screens in the clothes washer ned cleaning because the wash time gets closer and closer to an hour to do a load of clothes.
    We have a different shade of white here. :)

I've considered adding a second filter for a smaller micron size filter . I've tried just a 5 micron and it blocks up way too fast.

Chaz likes this.
  10. Highbeam

Highbeam

The problem is that most iron in the well water is dissolved. It only precipitates out when oxidized. Muddy water is mud, clear water that stains stuff orange is usually what they call Clearwater iron. You can’t filter it with a screen but there are ways to remove it if you want it gone.

brenndatomu likes this.
  11. golf66

golf66

You have a point there. I forget which is which, ferric iron vs ferrous iron. I have the kind that can be removed with a sediment filter. The treatment for dissolved iron is some kind of air injection (I think). I'm not chest-thumping, merely saying that the filtration system and acid neutralizer have made a huge difference in our water. The clothes and dishes come out cleaner and coffee is delicious. Something I noticed is that all three toilets in the house have been replaced in the last 24 months. The old toilets had a layer of iron in the tank but since installation of the treatment system, there is no iron in the new toilet tanks. Ah, the joys of well water......

brenndatomu likes this.
  12. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

Growing up, our last well had a bad case of iron bacteria. I can remember having to change string filters on a monthly basis. You’d know it every time it was needed. We had an iron filter too that was big as the water softener. Don’t remember much of it other than it was big.

when the city agreed to run central water to the development, the locals couldn’t sign up fast enough.

brenndatomu likes this.
  13. corncob

corncob

The main issue with any spin down filter is what grows inside... i much prefer changing the entire media cartridge versus getting sick.

MikeInMa and brenndatomu like this.
  14. Easy Livin' 3000

Easy Livin' 3000

I hadn't thought of that, good point. I suppose all filter housings would benefit from a periodic bleach bath to sterilize them, unless the filter and housing are both disposable.

brenndatomu likes this.
  15. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Air or clorine (sodium hypochlorite) will oxidize iron so it can be filtered out.
    Potassium permanganate is also an oxidizer used in water plant iron and manganese removal.

corncob and brenndatomu like this.
  16. Highbeam

Highbeam

When you’re buying a house, the best way to find out about water quality (other than lab tests)is to look in the toilet tank.

FarmerJ and brenndatomu like this.
  17. Highbeam

Highbeam

You just need to oxidize the dissolved iron before filtering it out so air injection can do it, and greensand charged with potperm, but the standard is manganese oxide which is what I used in my city’s most recent new well to remove iron and manganese. It’s also what I installed at my home. It’s a bit like greensand but no need for potperm or anything else to recharge it. 10 year media life. Chlorine makes it happier but not required. Really, potperm is obsolete now. Especially in homes.

I wish my iron was already oxidized in the well and could be simply filtered. That’s a much cheaper solution.

morningwood and brenndatomu like this.
  18. Gary_602z

Gary_602z

Little off topic, but we use a sand filled swimming pool filter that holds 400 lb. of sand to remove iron in our minnow tanks.
    Well puts out 60 gallon a minute and runs about 60 percent of the time.
    All the water goes into a 700 gallon tank that has a bubbler system that oxidizes the water which then gets filtered and goes on to the tanks with fish in them.
    When we back flush it about every 3 days in just pukes out a solid stream of orange water.

Gary

Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
    Highbeam and Softwood like this.
  19. corncob

corncob

I use H2O2 as a disinfectants myself, 35% variety. Kills all microbes 100%.

Easy Livin' 3000 likes this.
  20. Easy Livin' 3000

Easy Livin' 3000

I guessed hydrogen peroxide, and google told me I was right. I prefer this to bleach, in most instances.