In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Next weekend project

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Shawn Curry, Aug 2, 2014.

  1. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2014
    Messages:
    3,755
    Likes Received:
    22,702
    Location:
    Western NY
    Not sure when this one fell, it's been this way since I bought the house last year. Red maple hung up on two of my nicer sugar maples, and knocking over a decent sized black cherry. So it needs to go. Soon.

    I've been afraid to deal with it myself. But the new guy on my volleyball team owns a tree service business, so I asked him if he'd come take a look and give me an estimate to get it on the ground where I can deal with it. He told me if I supply the beer, he'll bring a couple of his big saws over and see if there's anything we can do.

    It's a shame - it's a really nice log, and I'd like to keep it to go with a few other red maple logs i have that I want to turn into a new hardwood kitchen floor. But I'm willing to sacrifice it to save those sugar maples. It could still heat the house just fine. :MM:

    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
     
    HDRock, WeldrDave, Drvn4wood and 6 others like this.
  2. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    Do you have a plan? Looks sketchy to me, leaners on leaners...
     
    HoneyFuzz likes this.
  3. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2014
    Messages:
    3,755
    Likes Received:
    22,702
    Location:
    Western NY
    I think it might take a boom truck. It's just off my main trail, so it could be possible to get a pickup-sized one back there. I gotta think the safest way is get above it and start cutting away branches until it succumbs to gravity.

    The book I have on tree falling recommends notching out 2 sections of the base at a time and keep making felling cuts until it frees itself. But it's awfully big, and there aren't many escape routes.
     
    Locust Post likes this.
  4. Locust Post

    Locust Post

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    8,950
    Likes Received:
    52,503
    Location:
    N. E. OH
    I've done them that way before, but you are right it is good to have an escape hatch.
     
    savemoney and HoneyFuzz like this.
  5. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2014
    Messages:
    3,755
    Likes Received:
    22,702
    Location:
    Western NY
    Maybe I could make the two felling cuts to free it from the stump, and if its still stuck, get back there with my Dad's Massey Ferguson and pull it the rest of the way down.
     
  6. HoneyFuzz

    HoneyFuzz

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2014
    Messages:
    4,490
    Likes Received:
    14,862
    Location:
    Northeast , Ohio
    Good luck with whatever you decide . Always have a running lane...thats for sure !!! Nice trees BTW :)
     
    Shawn Curry likes this.
  7. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I've done a few of those, the only thing I can tell you is...they all act different.
     
  8. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    If you cut it, cut yourself an escape path first.
    I'd work on the Maple 1st, but that's me, and I can't see everything from here.
     
    Shawn Curry likes this.
  9. Fanatical1

    Fanatical1

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2014
    Messages:
    2,688
    Likes Received:
    12,293
    Location:
    Ohio
    Your right about that being a nice tree. Shame to lose it and that cherry is a big one also. I would hate to lose those, but what's done is done.

    Why aren't you keeping it for the flooring? Timing isn't right maybe?
     
    Shawn Curry likes this.
  10. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2014
    Messages:
    3,755
    Likes Received:
    22,702
    Location:
    Western NY
    Oh I'd really like to use it for the flooring - the whole thing. It's pretty much perfect for about 30 ft. That's the thing - kinda sucks to have to start hacking away at the base of it.

    Timings about perfect too - my Dad just bought me a little old Farmall Cub today! :thumbs: It's identical to the one my grandfather had that I've been begging him to give me. $1500 and it came with a snow plow, and a land plow! Not sure if it'll be able to help with that maple though - still gonna want the bigger tractor for that I think.

    The maple's definitely gotta go first- taking down the cherry would probably make them both fall, but you'd be standing a little too close to where that maple wants to land.
     
  11. swags

    swags Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,455
    Likes Received:
    13,240
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    There's a great video of some dumbazz cutting down a few leaner cherries and doing exactly that. Idiot almost got crushed.
     
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  12. Loon

    Loon

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    6,560
    Likes Received:
    37,138
    Location:
    North of the border
    Wow thats very nice of him.:yes: Any pictures of it yet?:)
     
  13. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,157
    Location:
    Central MI
    Don't believe the book. Believe that new friend who is coming with the saws!
     
    HDRock, Shawn Curry and swags like this.
  14. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2014
    Messages:
    3,755
    Likes Received:
    22,702
    Location:
    Western NY
    Yeah I'm not afraid to admit that this one is beyond my current skill, and the abilities of my little 18" saw.

    Hoping to cultivate this friendship anyway. We have a common interest, and he can get his hands on an awful lot of firewood :D :handshake:
     
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  15. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2014
    Messages:
    3,755
    Likes Received:
    22,702
    Location:
    Western NY
    Well, "next weekend" has finally become "this weekend"! He's coming over tomorrow with his 660 and some tools. My Dad's FEL is just down the road at my sister's house if we need it, and I'm thinking we probably will. I'll defer to his judgement, but I'm thinking we'll probably have to cut it free of the stump, and then drag it the rest of the way down with the tractor.

    He's supplying the expertise and equipment, and I'll be supplying the food, and beer for afterwards. I have some bone-in beef short ribs from the cow I bought thawing out. Going to toss those on the smoker. The last time I made them, they came out like a smokey pot roast on a stick. Perfect man food for a hard day's work.

    I'm getting excited. Supposed to be 90 and sunny. I love working up a sweat. I'll post some pics of the takedown tomorrow. :saw: :ithappened::tree:
     
  16. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,157
    Location:
    Central MI
    That all sounds great except for that 90 degree thing. We've had one this year and that was one too many. That was actually back in June, I think about a week before Indenpendence Day. Now it feels hot when we get to 80. Not too many of those days left for this year....hopefully. I'm ready for some 50's and 60's.
     
    papadave likes this.
  17. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2014
    Messages:
    3,755
    Likes Received:
    22,702
    Location:
    Western NY
    So I wanted to get a couple "before" pics of the black locust trees I'm planning on hauling this weekend. In the process, I found a perfect opportunity to get some practice dealing with leaners. Ill be working on these first thing in the morning. 1 still attached, and several broken off branches and trees, all 6" and under, all BL. The last pic in the series is the one I was meaning to take. Turns out there were 2 of them in that pile - bonus! :yes:

    On a side note, I'm really liking this stand the more time I'm spending in it. It has my highest concentrations of sugar maple and BL. Locust is a "nitrogen fixing" plant; I'm wondering if that's the reason there's more sugar maples here than soft, which dominates the rest of the woods.

    IMG_1230.JPG IMG_1233.JPG IMG_1232.JPG IMG_1236.JPG IMG_1237.JPG
     
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
    Backwoods Savage, basod and Drvn4wood like this.
  18. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    Good luck with them all
    :popcorn::popcorn:
     
    papadave likes this.
  19. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2014
    Messages:
    3,755
    Likes Received:
    22,702
    Location:
    Western NY
    We got her on the ground, safe and sound!:dancer:He ended up climbing the sugar maple that it was mainly hung up on. Altogether he spent about an hour in-tree. Couldn't get any decent pics with him up there; it was high noon and there was just too much glare. Topped it back to the crotch, while me and his wife dragged the branches out of the drop zone. He also topped the bigger black cherry while he was up there; that thing was going to be a spring pole once the trunk let go.

    He stayed up in the tree to make sure it didn't get hung up, while I made the felling cut at the base. My poor little 18" Echo couldn't get all the way through it, so I had to make 4 cuts altogether. Made me a nervous wreck with him being in the tree. But what a rush once it let go!

    My practice session in the morning with the leaning BL trees ended up being valuable practice. Correctly predicted which way it would pivot, though I confirmed it with him just to be sure. From that side (north), I had a little ironwood/musclewood tree protecting me - it didn't pivot any farther than that.

    Turns out his wife is into woodworking. They got a kick out of my little workshop. The ribs were a hit too. No pics of those either - they were gone too fast! :D Just some salt and pepper, and an herb crust (from my garden) - rosemary, thyme, sage, and oregano; smoked over some black cherry.

    IMG_1238.JPG IMG_1242.JPG IMG_1240.JPG
    This poor little spruce was right in the drop zone. Took a couple direct hits, but it survived! Should make a fine Christmas tree in a few years. :D
    IMG_1239.JPG
     
  20. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    That's a good day , got em down safe , got some BTUs, and had some good chow :)
     
    Loon and Shawn Curry like this.