In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

More Firewood Hoarder Observations

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by JDU, Oct 22, 2022.

1. JDU

JDU

I have posted on this before. While traveling I am always looking at firewood hoarder and use across the country. This past 3 weeks we traveled west down through northern Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Oklahoma and Texas as GF has never been to those states, Very impressed with the great people, country and hardwood forests in those states. Forestry and logging big business with lots of cutting and log trucks on the road in AL and MS but very few people seem to burn firewood. Mind you, we stayed off the interstates and traveled the back roads so saw a lot of small towns and rural properties. I'm sure some FHC members are from those states. I know gas was a heck of a lot cheaper than in my home state of PA, so maybe natural gas is dirt cheap?? Ended up in New Mexico and Colorado for almost 2 weeks, lot of wood hoarders and burners there for sure. As we came home up through Kentucky, West Virginia and western Maryland, wood piles and smoke coming out the chimney was very common too.

These are just observations I thought you all might be interested in.

Picture....current situation in my living room fireplace insert. :thumbs: DSC00399.JPG tonight!

2. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Always interesting to see how things are done in different areas. Thanks for sharing.

3. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Sounds like a great trip!

4. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Yep when you get off the beaten path, you see things that help perspectives that we aren't rare as a breed of species that burns wood for heat. That being said, even though those folks aren't here, they are still part of this club. I've done my fair share of this observation especially on wooded back roads where piles of wood usually leaning on a side of a shed or garage is a common sight.

These folks have been doing that for ages too since the towns are small. It's also interesting where people settle. As if they prefer that kind of life over anything since some of these towns are quite distant from any other hustle and bustle of city or the like. It finally got cold and rain is finally falling in my area, it was a good feeling seeing many fires being lit in the stoves as fresh smoke from a starting fire came from the stacks as we drove around today. Thanks for posting.

5. Skier76

Skier76

I’m always intrigued by the difference in wood burning from southern New England to northern. In Connecticut, you can easily find wood that’s being given away. In Vermont, not so much. Smaller population with a higher percentage of wood burners.

6. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

Like many here, I've developed a hawk-eye for wood stacks in yards. Here in town, there aren't many, and most of those are recreational users, not folks who heat with wood. Here, we're part of a lower income area, I'm surprised more here don't burn. But many places near us are rentals.
    In the next town over, the tree company says people don't burn wood in that town---they chip all the trees they drop aside the road. Unless a wood hoarder from out of town is chatting the tree guys up . . .
    That other town is as wealthy as Avon CT. With 2 good incomes, heating with wood is not necessary.
    We're just po folks, so saving $4-5K on oil (more as the winter wears on) is a big deal to us.
    Upstate NY seems to have many more wood burners than around these parts!

7. Yawner

Yawner

I am in one of your deep south states. I know a few people who heat with wood but it's very uncommon. And that means two cords/year. Around here, nobody has heard of a three year plan. Hardly anyone buys ahead, hardly anyone further seasons their wood after buying. I don't know of anyone who has three years stocked up. Nobody. Almost everyone waits until the first cold snap, at least and they buy enough for that year, in general. Many wait even longer. Many do not buy unless it is one of those rare once in a lifetime cold periods. Most people are buying green wood, it is not seasoned, no matter what the seller said. Unless green wood is dripping wet, it WILL burn. And most around here don't care. Also, a lot of sales are for a firepit. A significant amount of sales around here are for 'the deer camp.' You would think those guys would be the type to get their own wood, after all, they are surrounded by trees. Nope, they got money to burn. It seems that the vast majority of males here are a member of or own a deer camp.

I will say that I have noticed more chatter from prospective buyers regarding stocking up on some wood for the apocalypse (for any number of reasons) or the coming depression. I'm serious. I admit, it seems more possible than ever before. But, we could rock on for a very long time, who knows.

8. JDU

JDU

Interesting observation from Louisiana. Thanks.

9. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

What town is that Dave?

Cash Larue and FatBoy85 like this.
  10. FVHowler

FVHowler

NC has three geographic regions (mountains, piedmont and coastal plain). The moutains have very cold winters while the coastal plain is sub-tropical and warm. Lots of serious wood burners in the rural mountain region. In the eastern part of the state, less wood burning but you do see it in rural areas. I live in the middle of the state and know just a few wood burners who burn wood as primary heat source. Lots of weekend burners in the middle and eastern part of state.

No matter what region you live in, generally speaking, rural inhabitants tend to be more self reliant and better prepared for power outages, food shortages, etc...

Cash Larue, FatBoy85, SimonHS and 6 others like this.
  11. Christoph

Christoph

That’s one good road trip!! How many miles? I need a good road trip

12. JDU

JDU

5400 miles. It was a good road trip. I noticed a lot of dead spruce in southern CO. Entire mountain ranges actually.

13. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

I almost added that part about incomes too but I didn't wanna make it the majority of my clause either. Definitely saw the lower income burners but burning wood doesn't necessarily have to be. I guess at some point, if you're making more than enough money, you're not always going to make enough time to burn wood? Depends on the priorities perhaps but heating with wood will make you feel rich enough you did the work and it pays off in dividends.

Backwoods Savage and Cash Larue like this.
  14. chris

chris

Wood- CSS, no gym fee/membership needed.

15. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

For me, it is a hobby. Which keeps me fit (no price on health), entertained (mental health), and puts up a savings that is not fiat/keeping $ for more needed things (Financial health).
    Its also practical survival, having a way to heat and cook without the grid.
    And, I don't support a people whose lifestyle or porpose in life I don't want to fund.

Those 3 shouldn't be affected by income. But looking at our city house, were the outlier. I know of several around here whose burning habbits are of necessity (or will be shortly) or who stopped burning because of income increase.

16. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Not sure I could get off that train if income increased(exponentially)love wood heat too much to leave it. Probably would invest in a stove company to raise efficiencies so we could have even longer burners in houses that have lower incomes. Couldn't agree more that it's a task that that keeps us busy in good ways.

17. Jutt

Jutt

Basic prepardness, independence from a system of control (energy), health benefits, satisfying work that taps into something we’ve lost as a culture and the quality of the heat all far outweigh quitting burning wood due to income.

At least that’s how I see it.

Ron T, JDU, Christoph and 8 others like this.
  18. Cash Larue

Cash Larue

nailed it.gif

Ron T, JDU, theburtman and 2 others like this.