In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Battery Powered Generator Opinions Needed

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by bogieb, Sep 23, 2022.

1. bogieb

bogieb

So I was thinking when I get my solar array installed (very soon now), it will still leave me vulnerable to power outages (because I am still tied to the grid). Although power outages are not common, and there have only been a couple since I moved here 9 years ago, I was considering a whole house battery backup as a future project. However those are pretty expensive and I really only absolutely need electricity during winter to run 1 pellet stove (water heater doesn't need electricity and I'm on city water).

For various reasons, it would be very challenging to put in a conventional generator. Even if that weren't the case, I really don't want the smell, noise or upkeep of a conventional generator. So I'm thinking a getting a battery operated generator like Ryobi 1800 watt inverter generator.

This particular generator comes with 2 40v batteries and I have a 3rd that came with another tool. Or, I could go with one that comes with 4 batteries for another $150. I also currently have a coupon for 10% off (expires soon, so I need to make a decision).

So, does anyone have experience with these, or similar battery operated generators?

2. In the Pines

In the Pines

That only gives you 12 amp hours. that is 12 hours of running a 1 amp load or basically your fridge for an hour.

For 900 buckaroos you can get a 200+ ah lifpo4 battery. Yes you need to buy an inverter to go with it but...
    a 200ah lifpo4 can be bought for about 650 +/- and take the rest and invest it into a decent inverter.
    Maybe you will spend more than 900 when it's all over but you have way more battery and it will live longer than the little battery packs.
    Plus I think lifepo4 is slightly better than LiOn
    Also I believe there are higher powered battery banks out there for less money, such as bluetti? I haven't really looked into them too much.
    side note pet peeve- I really take issue with these companies calling these things generators. They are battery banks, they don't generate anything. They store energy.

3. Warner

Warner

I was thinking “battery generator” is an oxymoron as well.

4. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    I know you are looking for a battery solution but if you are running a pellet stove and a couple of lights and still want to use the computer, a small Honda invertor generator takes up practically no space, it only needs minimum fuel and is quite quiet to run. We have two and the only thing campinspecter needs to do is make sure there is fuel in them before a storm. Yes, we have extension cords running everywhere when they are in use but our house is warm, fridge/freezer runs and we watch TV and use the computer. In an extended power outage, I used one to run my iron and sewing machine so I could finish a project.
    They are more money (this shows CAN funds) but I really think they are much more practical.

Ultra-Quiet 2200i™

jtakeman, 343amc, wildwest and 5 others like this.
  5. bogieb

bogieb

Thank you, that is the type of info I was looking for because electricity use terminology just baffles me. But your refrigerator example, puts it into perspective.

Yes, you are right, it is more of a battery pack than "generator", so my bad.

I guess part of the draw for the Ryobi is I already have a bunch of their tools, and also it is small enough that I can use it out in the shed if I want for short term electrical power (which again, would be a rare occurrence, but a possibility.

6. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

I know you didn't want to go gas but this is a second vote for the 2200i Honda.
    Extremely quiet , sips fuel , not a lot to maintain ( yes there is still some , I get it ), portable and it is a true generator.

7. bogieb

bogieb

I am not doing gas, so everyone can quit making those suggestions.

8. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

Okie-dokie will do !

9. corncob

corncob

When you buy a Honda anything, you pay for the name. Interestingly, Yamaha holds the patent for the inverter technology so everyone has to pay them a royalty fee to copy it.

We have a pair of Champion 2000 watt inverters. Same output, much less expensive. For the RV however not the house. We have a Generac 30 KW diesel fired standby for that chore.

343amc, wildwest, T.Jeff Veal and 3 others like this.
  10. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

You can buy a new Ford f150 lightening. Its not gas. It can power a house they say.

11. corncob

corncob

If gas ain't your thing, Champion sells them in LP too.

12. corncob

corncob

That isn't a generator as it generates nothing, just stores power. 4 more batteries and you have a full house load of batteries for their electric zero turn lawnmower....lol

13. bogieb

bogieb

Funny you should mention that. I was actually thinking yesterday afternoon, if worse came to worse, and I wanted/needed to use gas, I could use my Explorer :D

Last edited: Sep 24, 2022
  14. bogieb

bogieb

You are right, it is not a generator. But that is what the name of the product is, so that is what I used and I didn't choose my title wisely. I'm actually thinking hard about getting one of their electric mowers (not a rider though). Plus I have their 40v chain saw already. So the batteries would be used for other things, not just hanging around for one purpose.

I don't want to use propane either. I want to use (stored) electricity that is produced off my solar array - I just don't think paying $20-30k for a whole house battery backup that would rarely get used is very efficient or frugal with my resources (especially when I have other property upkeep expenses coming up next year). I really only need to run heat in the winter and fridge in the summer - nothing else. I have LED lanterns with 36 hour run time, my kindle will run forever (and I keep a zillion books on it) if I need entertainment, I don't need TV or internet, I just need the very basics.

Up to this point (KOW) the most I've lost power for was only for 4 hours hours (planned outage) and shorter outages only happens every couple of years.

wildwest, T.Jeff Veal, Chaz and 2 others like this.
  15. In the Pines

In the Pines

When you get your array set up, the 200ah battery I mentioned could be connected to it so the solar charges it.
    Buy a 2k watt inverter and connect to the battery and it will handle up to 50-100 amp load until you use up the pixies. Most 200 ah batteries comes with a 50 -100 amp BMS I believe if you look hard enough you could find one with a 150 amp bms.
    Obviously you don't want to run that high of a load since it won't run for long. But you could plug your pellet stove into the inverter and I'm guessing you could
    probably get over 20 hours off the battery with only the stove attached. Knowing the amps required would give a better idea of runtime.
    I'm going to assume the array will come with some form of controller that also supports charging a battery. Maybe it won't since you're grid tied?
    I'm not up to date on grid tied controllers, it may require a separate one sorry I don't know for sure.

I'd only go 2k watts inverter because 3k watts is the upper limit for 12v and the wire size is silly, plus it doesn't sound like you need/want that much as of now.
    Whoever set this up, make sure they use a class T fuse directly off the battery and have your connection to the fuse.

You may not need a 200 ah battery either, you could probably use a 100 ah battery and be ok as well. From the sounds of the loads you wish to run. It might get you thru the night until the solar picks up.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2022
  16. Screwloose

Screwloose

I'm thinking that the Ryobi would be fine.
    A Google search said 3 amps for a typical pellet stove, that's 360 watts of load.
    I'm assuming that is the max with all motors running so continuous should average less.

wildwest, brenndatomu and bogieb like this.
  17. In the Pines

In the Pines

in a perfect world you'd get 4 hours of use, but it is not. so 3.5 hours +/- sometimes batteries have a slightly higher rating than listed.

wildwest, bogieb and Screwloose like this.
  18. Screwloose

Screwloose

4 hrs of heat spread out a bit in a relatively tight house will keep you from freezing, for a while anyway.
    I agree not as reassuring as a engine drive but it was mentioned that only a couple of failures have happened in 9 years so not a terrible gamble. And if the same batteries are already in use it won't be as neglected.

wildwest, In the Pines and bogieb like this.
  19. bogieb

bogieb

At this point the current array would not be set up to charge a battery during a power outage because of the grid tie (or at least that is my understanding). But I could get a controller down the road - I can probably talk to the set up guys and see what it takes to add a simple battery. They may tell me that the company won't set it up for a battery solution that is not hteirs, and having someone else do it would probably void the 25 year warranty.

However, I'm not averse to running a solar panel on the shed (which won't have electric run), and set that up for battery charging.

Looking at Bluetti and EF Ecoflow, from earlier suggestions. Both of which can be solar charged or charged from a vehicle if needed. Of course I could also charge the Ryobi batteries off the vehicle too.

20. bogieb

bogieb

So, I decided to "just do it" and ordered the Ryobi unit with 4 batteries before my coupon ran out. I'm still thinking about obtaining another type of unit that is stronger/longer lasting (such as what In the Pines was recommending), but not until I talk to my solar array installers.

I would use the Ryobi for the main floor stove, but it will also be handy for other uses (and as I stated, can use the batteries for other tools). The stronger/longer lasting option would be for the P61a since in a pinch that stove can heat the whole house enough to keep water pipes from freezing. Two separate methods will still cost me a lot less than a whole house system but give me peace of mind.