In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Wood Stove to Replace my P68

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Luneyburg, Sep 25, 2022.

1. Luneyburg

Luneyburg

Giving some serious thought of wood stove install as the world has gone crazy and I always have access to free and I use that term loosely as it will have to be harvested , processed, stacked . I work stupid amount of hours and the primary reason I went to pellets, but with the insanity going on in this country and around the world I want to be prepared.

So it has to have some serious heating capacity , I mean serious BTU's as I live in a 1860 leaky old farmhouse . I had before an old 1980's beast of a stove to keep the house tolerable , Canadian stove that took the tech from many stoves and put it into one (Alpiner Beast). This stove cranked out some serious heat but required getting up every night to load it , I would like to avoid that if possible.

Comments , suggestions would be greatly appreciated . Money is not a consideration as I said I work a stupid amount of hours and get paid a damm good salary . Thanks in advance !
    I will be installing a new Liner in preparation of the stove install very soon , my Harman would be happy with a 6" so please if possible list the size of flue for the stoves you would recommend, much prefer a rear outlet as opposed to top.

Thanks again !!

Orson_Yancey, Jutt, FatBoy85 and 5 others like this.
  2. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

The Woodstock Ideal Steel hybrid is a great stove. Requiress 6" flue. Should give you at least 8 hour burn times on high and up to 12 hours or more on low.
    They aren't really pretty but they are at the top of the list for long burning, efficient wood stoves. The soapstone holds heat well. Get the optional ash pan.
    If you want pretty? The Woodstock soapstone Progress Hybrid

3. dennish

dennish

Yes Woodstock, Blaze King, or Kuma. All make big heat or long burn times. All are great stoves with outstanding customer service.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2022
  4. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

5. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

I'll second this.

TurboDiesel, FatBoy85 and wildwest like this.
  6. Rich L

Rich L

Hearthstone 1 weights almost 800 lbs.Gives me massive heat for 14 hrs.

7. moresnow

moresnow

Maybe you should elaborate on the size and layout of the house etc.

Unless you have several cord of well-seasoned wood at the ready it's way too late to be swapping to wood this year IMO. None of the industry leading stove manufacturers offer a model that works well on wet wood.

Post # 3 &4 should give you hrs of good reading/research:)

Post a pic or two of the place. Sounds interesting.

8. Warner

Warner

I still got the alpine if you want it backā€¦

9. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I too am prepped for the wood stove this winter Luney. Of course I'd prefer the pellet furnace but pellets availability and price are so uncertain. Also there's been a few threads here on very long lead times buying a new stove.

10. billb3

billb3

Does Kuma have anything over 2.5 cubic feet any more ?

Backwoods Savage likes this.
  11. Highbeam

Highbeam

Kuma only sells little stoves and honestly, nothing from woodstock is very large either. The PH is under 3 cubic feet. Op is coming from a pellet roaster rated to make 68,000 BTU constantly and that's hard to match with a woodstove.

In rear vented stoves, the woodstock IS would be my recommendation.

How about both a pellet stove and a woodstove? That way you have flexibility to respond to fuel price issues and fuel availability issues plus equipment breakdowns.

I like the wood furnace idea if you have a basement. You only need a minimum amount of ducting to dump the heat into the living space. With automation you don't need to babysit it much.

Orson_Yancey and FatBoy85 like this.
  12. Oldhippie

Oldhippie

Luneyburg! We live so close we prolly know each other. The guys are right on I vote for the Woodstock as they are made above us in Lebanon NH and their product, services and ongoing support can't be beat. I've got two Woodstock stoves I'd be happy to show you. I live in Ashby. I'll go up with you to go get it if you like. I haven't been there yet this year and I'm due for a visit.

You'll have no problem sleeping till mid morning is a piece of cake. You can customize them and everything.

Here's a video I did of my Absolute Steel which is the baby brother of the Ideal Steel which these guys are talking about.

Steve L aka oldhippie

13. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

So BlazeKing King or Princess might help you out. At least these are designed to heat a space well over 1000sq feet and Generously up to 3000. I wouldn't put too much stock into it since those are the most optimized scenarios with a tight house and if your burner is centered with the house. Blending a pellet stove and the king or Princess might have a lot more beneficial balance as you can let one do the work and the other helps balance the rest. If it gets too much in terms of heat, opening a window is recommended often here. It helps to know details about your house as mine when I had my first wood stove put in was super drafty the heaters would just run and run and run. After that it's a matter of trying to seal up the house. For some here, burning with two stoves is a must with the climate and the houses they own. Hoping you have been able to get something set for yourself. Good luck

14. Oldhippie

Oldhippie

Me too.