Been looking for sometime. But this is for Dad (he’s in his 70’s). Never used one before, only seen them used on the net. But he’s got concrete, so there’s that. Probably only used once or twice a year…. He gets a pretty good snowdrift off the fence line at the edge of the driveway, when it does snow. What does one look for in a used snow blower?
Yea, saw that earlier…. There also was a MTD that was for like $250… but me not knowing what I’m looking for. If $500 is better quality than I’ll inquire. But what qualities am I looking for? Any name brand to stay away from?
If you find one with lights on it that’s a huge bonus. During the dark winter days, chances are he’ll end up running it in the dark at some point. I have an old Simplicity that although I like the machine, it would be a lot better with lights. I’ll probably add some at some point.
I'd say overall the newer stuff that you buy in the big box stores tends to be a lil cheaper built than older ones or more premium big name units, like Ariens or maybe Honda. If he will only use it once or twice per year then almost anything would work. Multi speed "trans" is nice, 5 speed forward and 2 reverse is common...many of them come with 120V electric start, that is nice since no battery to maintain. A head light is nice too, but he likely won't be blowing in the dark I'd guess? When looking at used ones, you can tell which ones have been maintained and the ones not...but hey, if you can find one for $50-100 in the summertime that "doesn't start" (probably needs the all too common carb clean) then it may be worth the slight gamble. There is not much to them really...just a couple drive belts and a rubber coated wheel that rides on a steel disc for the "transmission"...just make sure the bearings for the auger aren't shot and the gear box for it seems tight (not too much gear lash, or bearing slop) If everything checks out and its cheap enough, go for it.
Yea, I’m guessing he won’t be blowing in the dark. He typically waits out a snow storm to start shoveling… typically take most of the day or two… but he asked me to start searching for one. Something about him not being a Spring Chicken anymore. I don’t blame him. He had a heart attack about 2 years ago..
I don’t think 2 stage would be necessary if Chvymn99 dad is close to him.. Plug in and button to start can be added I would for less than $100. Also look for 1 that has a hand primer or choke lever. Nothing worse than blower that won’t start on cold day. In the north they will tell you that most guys have heart attack shoveling snow! It’s something to do with the all upper body and no lower body type of workout. And nobody wants to stop and rest when there’s 10 more feet to go.