In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Maple gathering

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by papadave, Oct 29, 2013.

  1. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    I could have sworn I had a thread about a Maple that broke, but I can't find it.......
    Anyway, I went back out today to finish cutting up that tree and another that I had taken down last fall.
    I also cut down the remaining trunk of the broken tree. It had a nice sized black ant nest in the crotch (which is where it broke).
    Got 2 small trailer loads out and I'll get it split ASAP........maybe tomorrow if the rain holds off.
    IMG_20131029_155912_706[1].jpg IMG_20131029_160223_888[1].jpg IMG_20131029_165334_225[1].jpg
     
  2. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    Looks like your about half way done :thumbs:
    Burned some maple today to take off the chill
     
    Pallet Pete and papadave like this.
  3. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Nice PD, should be a good amount thers. Ants, I just had some when I was splitting the other day! Oh, and a big wolf spider too. Not cool! I like your processing area
     
    papadave likes this.
  4. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    That's my new processing spot. The splitter goes right under the lean-to when I'm done.....small trailer too. Tractor goes in the shed next to it, except I think I need to make room in the pole barn (shop) for the tractor, since the mice like to get under the motor cowl and chew wires. Little bastages.
    The old area is behind me from where I took the pic about 50', on the side of the drive. It's where I had the log loads delivered.
    Wolf spiders.....we fed 'em flies when I was a kid. :thumbs:
     
  5. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    HDR, half done with what?
    Maybe halfazzed done....:D
    I'll be completely done when my ashes are scattered somewhere.:popcorn:
     
    Gark and HDRock like this.
  6. Certified106

    Certified106

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    4,172
    Likes Received:
    11,912
    Location:
    In The Hills
    Nice job!
     
    papadave likes this.
  7. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Looks good PapaDave, one reason I like splitting in the woods, you can leave the ants back in the woods after your splitting is done.
     
  8. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    Nice work Dave. Nice pics too.
     
  9. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Thanks Gas, pics are from the Droid razr m.
    twl, there's a Spruce just to the right of the splitter that has black ants in it.
    I'll end up taking it down. Had nothing to do with me and the splitting though.:tree:
    I have another Maple to do just off the trail to the back. I started on it very briefly today on the way out of the woods.
    Another one that snapped 12-15' up...double trunk. I'll take down the whole thing.:thumbs:
     
  10. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    Your stack has to be growing fast.
    Seems every day you're bringing in another load.

    Keep it coming.
     
  11. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    What I really need to do is get to the cutting floor for more Oak. It needs to dry a couple minutes longer than the rest .:)
    These trees have been bugging me since I found 'em though, so.........
     
    thewoodlands likes this.
  12. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    Hopefully you'll have a few months + of wood gathering time to go this Fall & Winter.
     
  13. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    I cut in the woods into December last year. As long as the snow isn't too bad, I'll go in.
    We'll see.
     
  14. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    Shoot !! your never really done but your half way done with that tree :tree::axe:
    I have to look at the small picture to get a sense of accomplishment, if I looked at the big picture all the time , I would probably give up ;)
    I almost turned to ashes shoveling coal into a monster stove one time :eek: o_O
     
    Gasifier likes this.
  15. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Yep, I get that, but I very much dislike short term thinking.
    I was thinking when dumping the 2nd load, how nice this wood will be in 2 years. That's a bit of the big and small picture.
    The load in the trailer is all one trunk that was only 8" DBH, so not much, and the stuff on the ground is all the branch wood from 2 other trees.
    It's a pain to get that branch wood when it falls in hard to get to spots, but it still burns.
    I had to force myself to get in there in a couple places. Glad I did it.
     
  16. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    In the first pic, you may notice how the trunk split when it came down.
    I knew it would, so I cut lower than where it had originally split thinking that maybe that would minimize it when it fell. The original split in the tree went a lot farther down the trunk than I could see.
    It split and rolled away from me, even though the cuts were pretty good. It still fell close to where I aimed, and since I was in the woods, the only concern I had was that I didn't want it getting in a spot where it would be tough to cut.
    I'm trying to learn on these small trees in the woods.
     
  17. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Got that all s/s this afternoon.
    Wife went to her "Stitch & Bitch" gtg today, so I did the firewood.:thumbs:
    IMG_20131030_161717_616[1].jpg
     
  18. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Thank you mod, whoever you are.;)
     
  19. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,983
    Likes Received:
    312,192
    Location:
    Central MI
    Dave, that is some good work. Too bad about all the rain though.
     
  20. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Went to Gaylord today in the rain, instead of the woods.:cool:
    With the way this one year old Maple is burning, I'll concentrate on getting more a little longer before going for more Oak.:fire:
    With the new stove, I'll have wood for this year and the next 2 as of right now.
    I don't want to slow down too much just yet though.:tree::axe:
     
    Backwoods Savage likes this.