In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Back in the saddle again

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by FatBoy85, Aug 17, 2022.

  1. FatBoy85

    FatBoy85

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2017
    Messages:
    6,611
    Likes Received:
    25,253
    Location:
    Washington State
    Hey all, definitely been awhile since I've done a pick up for firewood but it's also an update to a new living situation and likely back to burning in a short(hopefully!)time. That'll be another post but so far it has been nothing but pallets and other dunnage since mostly we use the boards for our animal housing and burn the junk in a bonfire pit.


    This morning I saw the free ad. Looks like some hawthorn mixed with something else. I thought it might be alder but the leaves are wrong and I tried using an app that search came up with garden plants. See leaves down below. Anyway happy to be back doing this again as it gives a sense of calm. 20220817_104754.jpg 20220817_104518.jpg
    Not sure?
    20220817_112114.jpg

    Hawthorn
    20220817_112123.jpg
     
  2. Chud

    Chud

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2020
    Messages:
    7,259
    Likes Received:
    54,098
    Location:
    NC
    I’ve never seen alder, but the wood and leaves look like Hawthorn to me
     
  3. FatBoy85

    FatBoy85

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2017
    Messages:
    6,611
    Likes Received:
    25,253
    Location:
    Washington State
    Yeah alder has a much wider leaf profile, the wood turns bright reddish orange not long after a fresh cut from oxidation. Quite pretty. I had thoughts on this being a willow but hope some others might know. For sure 2 different trees in this mix as the hawthorn is a dramatic difference in weight from the mystery wood.
     
  4. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,777
    Likes Received:
    215,104
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Nice grab there FB. Great to see you hoarding and posting again. :thumbs:
     
  5. FatBoy85

    FatBoy85

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2017
    Messages:
    6,611
    Likes Received:
    25,253
    Location:
    Washington State
    Sure have missed it, never really stopped but this one was worth it.
     
  6. Horkn

    Horkn

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2014
    Messages:
    29,178
    Likes Received:
    166,479
    Location:
    SE Wisconsin
    Banana boat tree 351108-61c0835c4f6d570876616c41aabb7938~2.jpg

    Nice to see you back!
     
  7. FatBoy85

    FatBoy85

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2017
    Messages:
    6,611
    Likes Received:
    25,253
    Location:
    Washington State
    Thank you! It's good to be back in the swing of things. That is courtesy of my daughter. She's been applying that stuff almost religiously. Can't wait to get my wood stack going, projects among projects to go.
     
    Horkn and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  8. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,549
    Likes Received:
    141,567
    Location:
    US
    Good to see you again FatBoy85 :handshake:
    Not much help on the wrinkly leaves. :confused:
     
  9. FatBoy85

    FatBoy85

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2017
    Messages:
    6,611
    Likes Received:
    25,253
    Location:
    Washington State
    Hey how ya doing yourself?
    Yeah, I don't know and I asked the fella who had them cut down too. Either way, gonna keep the family warm. :thumbs:
     
  10. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,549
    Likes Received:
    141,567
    Location:
    US
    On advice of counsel, I decline to answer… :whistle:
    :rofl: :lol:
    Hanging in there best I can given the circumstances.
    :salute:
     
  11. FatBoy85

    FatBoy85

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2017
    Messages:
    6,611
    Likes Received:
    25,253
    Location:
    Washington State
    Copy that and report same. :D
     
  12. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,983
    Likes Received:
    312,185
    Location:
    Central MI
    Good to see you back at it!
     
    Horkn, Chazsbetterhalf and FatBoy85 like this.
  13. The Wood Wolverine

    The Wood Wolverine

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2015
    Messages:
    18,860
    Likes Received:
    121,458
    Location:
    Gettysburg, PA
    That good for smoking meat?

    :rofl: :lol:
     
  14. Woodwidow

    Woodwidow

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    15,517
    Likes Received:
    95,538
    Location:
    Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    Welcome back FatBoy85 You have been missed.
     
  15. Horkn

    Horkn

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2014
    Messages:
    29,178
    Likes Received:
    166,479
    Location:
    SE Wisconsin
    Lol. I'm sure someone has tried :popcorn: