In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Atv firewood cart

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by cmcalvey, Jul 28, 2022.

1. cmcalvey

cmcalvey

I’m in the market for a cart/wagon to pull behind a utv on skidder trails. It also will be used on occasion to haul manure to garden and likely for bringing deer out of the woods. I’ve mostly narrowed it down to a polar 1500 tandem axle or a country mfg 7550 or 7740. I would like input on these trailers, especially the country mfg models. Google wasn’t helpful in that regard. The polar seems to get rave reviews all over the web.

Craig

2. Joe P

Joe P

if you go with the polar, get the walking axle. Makes a huge difference in off-road performance. Resized952021050195163857.jpg

Jutt, eatonpcat, NYH1 and 7 others like this.
  3. Yawner

Yawner

My brother bought a trailer kit from Harbor Freight and it's held up just fine for several years now. It was cheap. But it might be larger than what you want.

A trailer with some type of mechanized dump feature would be great.

4. cmcalvey

cmcalvey

Definitely getting a walking/tandem axle.

5. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

I had a Country Manufacturing very similar to what you're looking at. It was rated for 2500 lbs and had a tandem walking axle. It was a great trailer. The only thing I didn't like was that the dump angle was pretty shallow, like 37 degrees or so. If you don't need to dump it, it'd be a non issue. The larger 4x8 model can be dumped hydraulically and goes to a much steeper angle, like 50-55 degrees i think. I sold it, but wish I'd of kept it. I only paid around $250 for it. The guy overloaded it with sheep manure and bent the frame. See bottom pic. I welded in heavier 2" angle iron and it was good as new. I also made a custom wider bed. Mine was the 38" wide model x 7 feet. I made my bed 4' wide x 7'6" long i believe it was. I've owned a number of trailers in this size and it was a good trailer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. cmcalvey

cmcalvey

How much wood could you put in yours? Half a face cord?

7. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

I usually had around one face cord in it. So around 43 cubic feet at a time.

8. Gasifier

Gasifier

upload_2022-8-1_21-35-9.jpeg
    I went with the HD model. More expensive but glad I did. E77A981C-F68D-48A6-ABCB-89C600C1FA82.jpeg CF3CA7ED-9659-4E74-B308-B1130F5BAB19.jpeg

Stephiedoll, SimonHS, M2theB and 10 others like this.
  9. Skier76

Skier76

I’ve got a Polar single axle 1300. While not the size you are looking at, it’s very well built and has held up well living outside.

10. cmcalvey

cmcalvey

Thanks all. Went with the polar 1500 with side racks.

11. SloMoJoe

SloMoJoe

Great choice! I've been beating on mine for 10 years, and it's still going strong.

One nice thing to add is a wheeled jack stand, so you can hook/unhook a fully loaded trailer. It sounds like overkill for such a small trailer, but the trailer is rated to 3/4 ton, so you can load it fairly heavy, although I doubt you'd get that much weight from splits into it due to the size. I find it useful for 2 reasons.

1. With the jack stand, I can run the log splitter and toss splits into the trailer without needing the ATV hooked up to the trailer. ATV is free for other stuff while I'm splitting, and I'm never stopped from splitting because kids or guests want to ride. The jack stand lets me hook it back up when it is full (and heavy) when the ATV is free again. Or if I need the ATV to move the log splitter, I'm not forced to unload the trailer first, b/c it will be too heavy to lift and hook back on.

2. A trailer-load of splits lasts me about a week. I used to stack a lot of wood in the garage. Now I keep a small stack, and just pull a trailer load in every weekend. Wood goes directly from trailer to stove. The mess from the wood stays in the trailer, rather than ending up on the garage floor. The jack stand lets me unhook the heavy trailer so that the ATV is free for plowing the drive or whatever, and if the trailer is in the way, the wheeled jack stand lets me move it out of the way without needing to hook up the ATV to do so.

What would be even more handy is a ball hitch on that trailer, so I could piggy-back the log splitter behind the trailer. That way I wouldn't need to make 2 trips to split at the back of the property. But I doubt that would be feasible with the design of the trailer.

Jutt, Stephiedoll, Horkn and 2 others like this.
  12. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Welcome to the club. Glad you found a trailer. Post some pics when you get it.

Horkn and M2theB like this.
  13. Skier76

Skier76

I added one of these to my 1300. The 1300 isn’t listed as compatible, but it bolted up no problem.

T.Jeff Veal, Horkn and M2theB like this.
  14. SloMoJoe

SloMoJoe

Great upgrade... I put one on mine as well, and never thought to go back. Makes the trailer feel more stable.

Skier76 and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  15. NYH1

NYH1

I do have a ATV cart/wagon. However, this is my ATV log hauler. Made it myself. It was fun making it and just as fun using it.

Old Homelite Super XL. Husky NE 346XP and 365 X-Torq, Johnny CS2258.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Gasifier

Gasifier

Nice build man!

NYH1 and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  17. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Looks good. You can haul some long logs with that

NYH1 and eatonpcat like this.
  18. NYH1